The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best travel digital back for an Alpa TC

johnnygoesdigital

Hi rdubois,

At some point I'd like to add the 6x9 film back, there's a Mamiya 6x7 film back too. DOF master is indeed, a cool app. I've used it many times.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, I might be on a totally different timescale, if so, please ignore. But having seen your work, I can't imagine a tech camera would cramp your style. I'm surprised at how fast it is to work with an Alpa Max and digital. Everything is so precise (and quite frankly limited compared to a 4x5). It's simple to pick out infinity focus, and with live view now, there's no messing around with a loupe and GG. You can get incredibly accurate framing by shifting the camera, or even try a few different comps by shifting, rotating the back etc. In some ways you can do more than with an SLR body.

Just some thoughts. Paul
ThanKs Paul your probably right just need to get going and bite the bullet. The IQ 160 should make it faster too. Really getting to love this back.

Great to know you're liking the 160 guy, as I've also ordered one :) and fully intend to enjoy it traveling with a TC (so not too far off topic)

Analog6

This is very interesting, I'd heard of Alpa of course but never looked into them. So I could mount my P20 on the TC OK, from what I have read.

is focussing all manual, and if so, which is the best viewfinder glass to have? This would be a good alternative for me as I have a good light meter, and I was thinking I could get the TC and a good wide angle lens for landscapes and still use the H2 for non wide angle stuff till I can build up Alpa lenses.

What are they actually like to use? What would the weight be with the wake up drip, viewfinder (or iPhone viewfinder mount thingy), say a 35mm lens and the P20?

stephengilbert

A TC with a Zeiss VF, a Schneider 35mm Digitar lens, RRS plate, fingertip grip and Camdapter strap weighs a little over two pounds (1037 grams). With the ALPA VF, it's 213 grams more (285 grams for the ALPA vs. 72 for the Zeiss).

Add the weight of your digital back.

Focusing is manual, using the distance marks on the lens mount. A ground glass can be mounted on the camera, but its use would prevent handheld photography.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This is very interesting, I'd heard of Alpa of course but never looked into them. So I could mount my P20 on the TC OK, from what I have read.

is focussing all manual, and if so, which is the best viewfinder glass to have? This would be a good alternative for me as I have a good light meter, and I was thinking I could get the TC and a good wide angle lens for landscapes and still use the H2 for non wide angle stuff till I can build up Alpa lenses.

What are they actually like to use? What would the weight be with the wake up drip, viewfinder (or iPhone viewfinder mount thingy), say a 35mm lens and the P20?
You may find this video very informative if you're just finding out about the TC. It pretty much sums up focusing in general. I'd recommend also the other videos that Paul Slotboom of Optechs Digital put together regarding shooting with and other technical aspects of the Alpa system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzsDJacjupw&feature=related

Odille, focusing is done mainly hyper focal, however you can use a range finder for close objects (optical or laser). Handheld this can be slightly challenging, but during the day, generally you can ensure enough DoF that guessing distances is fine. I believe Woody on this forum has a Hassleblad back and the 35xl, iirc. The TC is very light, you might also want to consider one of the cameras with movements, to add more flexibility.

It's a very big decision with many pitfalls, I strongly urge you to find a good dealer to help you, even if youre only flirting with the idea.
Paul

malmac

Odille

Greetings from Toowoomba - I made the jump earlier in the year and bought a Cambo WDS. I am using a Phase One back. The transition to using a technical camera from using DSLR has been enormous but fun. I have the SK 35mm XL lens with a center filter. What are my main issues? Setting up (need a better tripod head) and DOF / Focus.

I see the Arca Swiss RMDi focus mechanish and think, wow, if only, but I suspect that changing cameras would not instantly make me a better photographer with better images - I am staying with Cambo, not because it is the best but because that is what I have and it is much better than I am, so why change.

I hope this adds to your stockpile of views on technicalcamera use.

Mal

Toowoomba

Thierry

Dear Odile,

Here some details to the weight of the different Alpa parts:

- Alpa TC camera body = 220 gr

Alpa 12 TC Body

- Alpa Viewfinder = 280 gr

Alpa Viewfinder

- ALPA adj back adapter MA645A (Phase One) = 82 gr

ALPA adj back adapter MA645A (Phase One)

- Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/35 mm XL = 319 gr

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/35 mm XL

Best regards
Thierry

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I have an Alpa TC that I shoot extensively with a 35mm digitar xl. I've now got about two weeks of immersion experience with my Phase One IQ 180 and I can testify that this combination is outstanding. I've just returned from two weeks in Kenya and will start a thread on the experience when I get a chance - hopefully tomorrow.

Here's a teaser:

Thierry

hi Woody,

That's effectively a "teaser": Butchery and Hotel - 2 separate entries ...

What can be expected inside this place?

Looking forward to your upcoming thread with much interest and ... fear!

:shocked:

Best
Thierry

I have an Alpa TC that I shoot extensively with a 35mm digitar xl. I've now got about two weeks of immersion experience with my Phase One IQ 180 and I can testify that this combination is outstanding. I've just returned from two weeks in Kenya and will start a thread on the experience when I get a chance - hopefully tomorrow.

Here's a teaser:

Thierry

Oops Woody,

have I been to fast? Or have you been afraid and took it away for the fear your image could cause?

:)

Thierry

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Oops Woody,

have I been to fast? Or have you been afraid and took it away for the fear your image could cause?

:)

Thierry
I edited the post to switch images so I could use the one with the little hickey in the sky - a mess that the C1 spotting tool made - I've got to get better at this! The juxtaposition of butchery and lodging is a bit scary.

Analog6

Thanks for all the answers folks. It's hard getting to a dealer as it's quite a distance whichever way I go. I've used technical cameras before (4 x 5 when I was doing my pro photography studies) but it was a long time ago (late 1970s).

I'm just worried about my eyesight letting me down, I need glasses for reading but not for distance. I'm only contemplating at the moment - but that lighter weight is truly tempting, the H2/P20/50~110 combo is round 3.5 kgs - 7lbs. Big difference if you're shooting a lot!

I'll arrange a good 'day at the dealers' if I decide to try it, and go into ti very extensively.

Mal, do you ever get down this way? I do sometimes come to Toowoomba, maybe we could have a meet up. Can I PM you if I am going to be up your way sometime (would not be in the immediate future)?

malmac

Odille

I don't get down to the coast that often but do come down now and again.

We do have a wedding to shoot at Currimbin in March next year so have to do a rec before that.

Send me a PM and we can be in touch. If you are coming to Toowoomba would love to catch up with you. Also happy to share my learning curve - for what it is worth - in dollar terms quite a lot.

cheers.

Mal

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, I resolved the question for now. The best travel back for me will be either my Aptus 65 or pending IQ160 :D

The move to the IQ160 instead of the IQ140 I was initially thinking of going to kind of settled whether or not to get or keep a different back just for the TC (or rather, it removed the available budget!).

In an ideal world I'd probably want to use a back with higher ISO support for handheld use. That would mean a P+ back with sensor plus. If shooting from a tripod it's not an issue obviously.

Now if anyone has a reasonably priced Alpa mount film back they want to part with let me know ...