The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best travel digital back for an Alpa TC

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just picked up an Alpa TC for travel use and I was wondering what folks would select as the ultimate "travel MFDB" for it? I have my P40+ which has great sensor+ capabilities and looks ideal for this purpose. However, I thought I'd throw out the question to other folks to understand what you use & like.

I need a new DF body while mine is off being fixed and I've been considering grabbing an Aptus II 5/DF bundle (seems like a cost effective way to pick up a new DF) and using the back as my backup but also as my travel solution. Any Aptus II 5 users out there using it this way? My only concern is the ISO support but that's kind of swayed by the great colour rendering and more forgiving 22mp & larger photo-sites. I'm looking at carrying just the Alpa TC & 24 and/or 35 XL Digitar combo.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

PeterL

Re: Best travel back for an Alpa TC

The Alpa TC and 24XL is an extremely compact package (kind of MF point-and-shoot). Combined with your P40+ (and future IQ140), I can't see anything wrong with this package. Only thing is, you of course have to use it in "no-latency" mode if you want to use it hand-held. This eats batteries - as I'm sure you know. Woody (here on the forum), seems to have had a lot of success using the TC hand-held with the 35XL. I'm sure he will chime in. I'm using mine with the 47XL hand-held, it's ok at iso200 for me (f11, 1/250s).

Cheers, -Peter

PeterL

Here is a pic of the TC and 24XL - from a Chinese forum on Alpa gear:

Terry

If you plant to take other gear I use the ThinkTank Street Walker Pro with my Arca. Fine with smaller lenses and the Arca is much bigger than the TC.

With just the TC and 24 as a kit you could even use a tiny backpack like this - but I warn you this is tiny but fits a micro 4/3 kit.

If you are looking to hold more of a DF kit then I used the Airport Antidote.

GrahamWelland

A small pack looks like the way to go. Right now I use a Lowpro Slingshot 300 which holds my full STC kit although it scares the heck out of me with $40k in such a nicely stealable bag! (Thank goodness for insurance!). Definitely a smaller travel bag will be needed for just the TC/back combo.

I suspect that I may end up keeping my P40+ for the TC or trading down for just a travel camera back - its interesting to think that you can kit out a TC outfit with a MF back like the Aptus II 5 or a similar used back for the same cost as a Leica M9-P and a current 35 summilux. (Obviously not 100% comparable but an interesting alternative!)

Terry

Oh gheeez I read your post totally wrong !!!!! didn't realize what you are asking. Sorry.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just landed in Ireland with my Arca RM3D and IQ180. It all fits easily (and lightly) into a Domke J1 shoulder bag and compared to my DF kit, this was a piece of cake to travel with. Honestly, once you have a tech cam, all the backs are the same size/weight as respects travel portability. And then the only roadblocks to going all the way is finances and existing lens lineup, not physical size.

OliverM

I've been in Marocco for a week, travelling with the TC / 35 mm / Aptus 75s.
First impressions are excellent :
- focal length is perfect in cities, esp. here with narrow streets
- I mainly work handheld at 50 iso, f11, 1/125e, and details seem excellent (100% crop on the aptus screen)
- small size and weight are very convenient
- the look of the camera generates curiosity sometimes, where larger cameras or even dslr with large lenses generate kind of fear; a guy in a shop even showed to me some very old cameras he also owned ...
- the aptus is convenient to use : easy to switch to higher iso when required (some interiors), easy to check the histogram and over/under exposed zones (a specific button, no need to use the sensitive screen to check this) and 100 % crop is easy to check also (touch screen)
- focusing by guessing the distance is still ok with the 35 mm (I still need to confirm the actual success rate, but for the pictures I wanted to secure, I could check on the screen and adjust)
- the small finger grip is too small. After holding the camera a while, it hurts a bit. The new larger grip seem more ergonomic. Nevertheless the cost for just this grip upgrade seems half way of the upgrade path to the STC, and before getting one, I would like to be sure that the size difference between TC and STC is significant enough. Graham, if you have both, it probably confirms that point ?
I have such fun using this system that I am now thinking about a second lens. But still need to check what would be the maximum focal I could still use handheld at 50 iso ...
Marc

PeterA

My perfect fun walk around camera on holidays is the Alpa 12WA + 35XL Schneider Digitar - for me either an Aptus or a Sinar back for no wake-up requirement is optimal - but really any back can be used and they are about the same size - and with large capacity CF cards now available even better ! You can see that it isnt that much bigger than an M9 - and retro deluxo cool.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter

that looks really great. Actually I come always more to the conclusion that I should use MFD only in combination with a tech camera and the Alpa TC is especially tempting!

PeterA

Peter

I have had my 12WA now for nearly 8 years. I recently acquired a Sinar artec for tech shooting with movements - that or the Arca which Jack mentions above are the best proper tech cameras. But if you wish to use hand holding as well as tripod - the 12WA and 12SWA and TC a are unmatched. I have made sharp shots down to 1/4 of a second hand held withe 12WA...

All cameras are good these days - it is all a very personal decision.I guarantee you once you try an Alpa you will love it - very few people sell them :)

dchew

Graham,
When you say "travel" I take that to mean "walking around," i.e. no tripod, more spontaneous shooting. Based on that, I think there is less need for the newer "IQ" UI. Although focus mask would be the one thing that would be nice to have. I also think there is little need for high megapixels since hand-held will not eek out the details for big prints.

So I think you are on the right track. Like you said, higher ISO performance would be nice, so sensor+ would be a benefit. The p40+ seems perfect. I will pm you about an option for the DF...

Dave

Graham,

I'm curious about your decision to get the TC since you already evidently have an STC. Presumably size and weight were factors. Did you opt for two handles? Are you planning to use an Alpa viewfinder? It'll be interesting to know how it works out for walkaround use, regardless of what back you choose...

GrahamWelland

@David:
I originally did a deal for the 24XL and it just happened that I had a chance to pick up the TC that it was currently sitting on. (Thanks Terry!) I'd been considering just a bare TC for a while as it appealed as a truly small walkabout outfit, not that the STC is exactly large or a bad travel outfit either btw!

I'll be using it with my current Alpa optical finder and this TC happens to come with an Alpa left hand wake-up grip for Phase One plus a small right hand grip. I shoot my STC exclusively off a tripod, typically with a KG cable to trigger the shutter & back when I use my P40+. That KG cabling is not really conducive to handheld shooting although I have had success with using zero latency mode on the back which does reduce the cable clutter. Ditto when I use my Aptus.

@Dave:
I agree that the IQ UI is not essential at all for walk-about use. Ditto the resolution as you pointed out. This is partly what has made me consider something like a 22mp crop back although I do find sensor+ very helpful at times.

rdubois

Graham
I've looked at this for some while and before purchase had some good advice from this forum; in the end, as my "digital back" I went for the Linhof 6X9 film back. The reason for going this route is twofold: First from the point of view of robustness and secondly: although the Linhof is probably heavier than a digital back I won't have to carry batteries and chargers.

I've been playing with this combination for a few weeks now and several rolls later I can only say that the results are stunning. The clarity of the negatives (Delta 100) are just simply amazing. For colour film I shall be using Ektar.

My workflow: Develop myself, scan with an Epson V750 then chose the negatives I really want and send those off for professional scanning.

One slight issue is that with just the finger grip my thumb seems to slip on the Linhof back and so carrying it one handed is almost impossible and certainly risky. I'll try a strap rather than the grip.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but I just wanted to remind people that film is still around :) and just having 8 exposures per roll certainly focuses the mind!

All the best

Dubois

johnnygoesdigital

Graham,

I just ordered an Alpa TC, with the 60mm Schneider and finger tip grip only. This 60mm is the smallest and lightest and makes for a great point and shoot. The 60mm is equal to about 47mm on a 35mm format, so for my style of shooting it's perfect. The P30+ DB is my choice for this set up as I don't need too wide and it's file size is perfect. Also, the higher ISO is welcomed too.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice choice and I'm jealous. lol

I absolutely love the TC wish I never sold mine. I am thinking of a SWC actually as I would at minimum want rise and fall or a Cambo WRS.

Just have a hard time committing . I work very fast so for tech cams I'm afraid it would cramp my art.

Guy, I might be on a totally different timescale, if so, please ignore. But having seen your work, I can't imagine a tech camera would cramp your style. I'm surprised at how fast it is to work with an Alpa Max and digital. Everything is so precise (and quite frankly limited compared to a 4x5). It's simple to pick out infinity focus, and with live view now, there's no messing around with a loupe and GG. You can get incredibly accurate framing by shifting the camera, or even try a few different comps by shifting, rotating the back etc. In some ways you can do more than with an SLR body.

Just some thoughts. Paul

rdubois

Graham,

I just ordered an Alpa TC, with the 60mm Schneider and finger tip grip only. This 60mm is the smallest and lightest and makes for a great point and shoot. The 60mm is equal to about 47mm on a 35mm format, so for my style of shooting it's perfect. The P30+ DB is my choice for this set up as I don't need too wide and it's file size is perfect. Also, the higher ISO is welcomed too.
I have the 60mm as well but on the 6X9 back it's more like a 24mm. Isn't that a sweet lens? :)

I forgot to add that there's a nice app for iphone: DOF master which I'm finding really helpful in determining depth of field and hyperfocal distances especially in combination with the HPF ring. It's only a few dollars and well worth it.

@Steve:- many thanks but do you fit the strap on the same side as the finger grip or on the left hand side?