The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

johnnygoesdigital

Shelby,

I'm very interested in this camera and how it compares to an Hasselblad 503CW. from your experience are there major differences other than lenses?

SergeiR

hmm.. ok :)

RZIID + Aptus54s..

Ryan by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Late tea by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Mosh by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr
+ ZD..

MMFC1300www by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

+ film

Scan-110320-0013 by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Highest point, overview by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

;)

stuff like that.. Or something like that.. no matter ;) I think there are some more, but i have issues with "favorites".. It changes all the time..

Its interesting system. Sometime its very cool to shoot, sometime - not so much. E.g - taking headshot of standing model taller than about 5.5 will require you to climb up on the stool/chair ladder b/c of vertical viewfinder (i hate prism one).

Other than that - its all about holding.. Viewfinder is awesome. Easiest focusing (once you figure out that sides arent changed) bar larger ( as in Large Format) ... ever :)

Last edited:
S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby,

I'm very interested in this camera and how it compares to an Hasselblad 503CW. from your experience are there major differences other than lenses?
I wish I could tell you... but I've been a 35mm shooter almost my whole career. I've shot film with an RZ, and a smattering of other MF cameras but I've only been an MF digital shooter for the last season or so.

I did shoot an old 501cm with older zeiss lenses at a capture integration event with a p65+ (i shoot aptus) and I can say that focussing was easier than with my AFD III, but about the same as the RZ. Those hassies are certainly more compact though... lighter and easier to handhold.

The classic zeiss look from the 500 series, to my eye draws, with a lot more bite... but still often has a fantastic bokeh. The RZ has a much gentler rendering and nice bokeh too... if not with a bit less character than the zeiss lenses. I think this gentleness is what is so nice about the RZ lenses.

bensonga

Shelby,

Are you asking about the differences with a digital back or film? I have the 503CWD (with the 16mp CFV-II back) and now the RZ Pro II (but no digital back for it...darn).

Marc Williams will be able to provide the most insight on this, since he has used the Hasselblad V and Mamiya RZ cameras with both film and digital backs attached. I'll be interested to hear his thoughts.....

Gary

neil

I have the 503CWD (with the 16mp CFV-II back) and now the RZ Pro II (but no digital back for it...darn).

Gary
Gary,

There are adapter plates for the RZpro II which would allow you to use your CFV-II V mount digital back.

So you could soon be using digital on your RZpro II

Adapter plates are quite expensive though. Given that you could get a couple of RZ lens for the same price.

Neil

bensonga

Gary,
There are adapter plates for the RZpro II which would allow you to use your CFV-II V mount digital back.

So you could soon be using digital on your RZpro II

Adapter plates are quite expensive though. Given that you could get a couple of RZ lens for the same price.

Neil
Hi Neil,

Yes, I was aware of the (expensive) digital back adapter plates available for the RZ, but I think the effective focal length crop factor for a CFV-II mounted on the RZ is probably much greater than I'd find useful/acceptable. It's already very limiting when used on my Hasselblad 503CWD (1.5x). I'm still dreaming of a full frame 6x6 digital sensor/back some day.....but that's :deadhorse:

:eek:

Gary

MP7

Hi Gary,
I too waiting for my square format digital sensor. In the meantime, I will be shooting film instead. Congratulation on your new RZ system. I don't want to start you going on another system but have you tried out the Fuji 680 GX?

bensonga

Hi Gary,
I too waiting for my square format digital sensor. In the meantime, I will be shooting film instead. Congratulation on your new RZ system. I don't want to start you going on another system but have you tried out the Fuji 680 GX?
No, no, no.....I don't want to hear about the Fuji 680GX or any other film camera for that matter. Yesterday, a friend of mine asked "How many cameras do you have?". I was embarrassed to say, I don't know. Decided to start with the film cameras.....holy cow. That's it. The RZ67 is my LAST ONE. I'm drawing the line at 20 film cameras (I will count the Hasselblad 503CWD as a "digital camera").

No mas, no mas. :eek:

Gary

neil

Has anyone got some pictures from the soft focus rz 180 or soft focus rb 150 using a digital back? Any advice on which ring to put in lens for different effects or any advice on the applications of these lens other than the obvious portriat use.

Thanks

Neil

mvirtue

Has anyone got some pictures from the soft focus rz 180 or soft focus rb 150 using a digital back? Any advice on which ring to put in lens for different effects or any advice on the applications of these lens other than the obvious portriat use.

Thanks

Neil
SergeiR has some. I know that there is at least 1 in the 'Fun with MF images' thread.

bensonga

Ordered the Mamiya left hand grip, electromagnetic shutter release and camera strap for the RZ today......so I guess that means I'm keeping the RZ after all. :)

Decided to try a roll of Kodak Ektar 100 in the RZ. I rarely shoot color negative film, so not sure what to expect. Hope to finish the roll off this weekend. If anything looks good, I'll post it here next week.

Gary

Professional

Ordered the Mamiya left hand grip, electromagnetic shutter release and camera strap for the RZ today......so I guess that means I'm keeping the RZ after all. :)

Decided to try a roll of Kodak Ektar 100 in the RZ. I rarely shoot color negative film, so not sure what to expect. Hope to finish the roll off this weekend. If anything looks good, I'll post it here next week.

Gary
My Mamiya RZ gave me amazing results with all films, B&W or colors [neg, slide], don't fear so much about using it, one day before i went out and shot 5 films at once, 4 colors including 1 slide[Velvia 50] and 1 B&W, all done by RZII, all came out great except that Velvia 50, forgot to compensate for the exposure, but even though it came not very bad, if i exposed it properly then it may be the best roll out of 5.

Good luck

SergeiR

Thanks

Neil
As Mark correctly said - i got 180 VSF.
Its not your everyday lens. And its not effect you like to constantly apply, so if you have doubts - i'd suggest rent one and play around.

Design of this lens is similar to the roddenstok (sp? i cant remember for the life of me) SF for large format. You can use it with or without inserts. If you buying it used - make sure you got all 3, that were there originally.

Inserts do produce additional effect using small "appertures" surrounding large one, plus lens itself got "controlled abberations". But unlike on modern lenses from Nikon - you can not adjust it. Not that many people adjust it on Nikon from what i seen ;)

Lens itself allows you to reproduce old "soft look" and works absolutely fine on digital, however you will have to spend some serious time practicing it b/c effects do vary even with same insert, depending on how you put lights around subjects. I.e its not exactly magic.

And its VERY irritating to focus ;)

on and minimal focusing distance is kinda icky for full face shots no matter how you dance.