The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

S

Shelby Lewis

I know this thread has the potential to die a quick death :D

I'm about to move to an RZ platform for my Aptus II 6 and would love to see some shots out of fellow members' portfolios... of course, shot on the RZ67 platform.

Share away! I'll do the same when I'm geared up soon.

Cheers! Shelby

bensonga

I'd love to see some photos taken with this camera too!

I've recently been toying with the idea of buying a RZ67 Pro II D. Film to start with, perhaps a digital back later. What lenses do you have Shelby? Any recommendations from other RZ owners?

One can never have too many camera systems....right? :eek:

Gary

S

Shelby Lewis

I'd love to see some photos taken with this camera too!

I've recently been toying with the idea of buying a RZ67 Pro II D. Film to start with, perhaps a digital back later. What lenses do you have Shelby? Any recommendations from other RZ owners?

One can never have too many camera systems....right? :eek:

Gary
Hey Gary,

I'm shooting a 645 AFDIII with a 210/4 and 80/2.8 right now, plus some canon gear... not caring for the AFD too much. Mamiya optics are really nice, but I've been planning on going to a more tripod based system for a long while. I bought the AFD because I got a good deal on it bundled with the 80/2.8D and the Aptus. I'll admit, I've loved the RZ platform for a long time... so I'm about to invest in a proIID. I'm totally clearing the gear closet. At the end of this, I'll probably just own the RZ system and a compact for day-to-day shots. Probably start with the 110, 180, and 65. I REALLY want the 210 APO and the 50 ULD, but I'll be lucky to have enough dough for the IID and the three cheaper lenses.

Used Pro IID are HARD to come by. I'd love to find someone to barter a trade of some sorts for my AFDIII and lenses for their ProIID.

I just found some undeveloped rolls of 120 film (velvia and some b/w) from a few years back when I owned a ProII and the 110. Gonna drop them off at the lab tomorrow if I can. Fingers crossed!

darr

Mamiya RZ Pro IID | 180 f/4.5 | P45 | Available Light​

Okay Shelby here is a favorite I took of my son last summer. It has been cropped down and was never really sharp, but I salvaged this and processed it further through SilverPro because it was this mother's favorite from the shoot.

I do not get to use the RZ all that much, but since I will be on break for the next week, I do want to shoot in the studio with it, and I will post hopefully another shot in this thread.

I purchased my RZ Pro IID kit used before they reintroduced it as another model name. The back plate for my P45 was real expensive (~$900) because that I could not find used. I purchased the initial kit (body, film backs, and two lenses) from a photog over at LuLa classifieds. The rest of my lenses are from KEH.

Also, in the 08/11 PDN (Photo District News) print magazine, on page 54, photographer Casey Rodgers' work done for InStyle magazine with the RZ67 + film of Keanu Reeves and Matt Damon is displayed. Great portraits!

Kind regards,
Darr

S

Shelby Lewis

Great stuff Mark and Darr! Keep 'em coming.

I love the drawing style of the RZ lenses. To my eye it's sharp, but gentle.
Shelby

mvirtue

We need sergi@ to chime in. He has some sweet portrait stuff.

The roll off from the sharpness is cool.

S

Shelby Lewis

Lovely work ILya... exactly the reason I love the RZ platform. The optics mate really, really well with the lower mp backs. Can't wait to get into it.

PeterA

I like the RZ because of its big bright viewfinder and the way the lenses draw - a very film like look - this one when I was using a Phase P45+

I even like the way highlights are blown - film like..

Professional

I like the RZ because of its big bright viewfinder and the way the lenses draw - a very film like look - this one when I was using a Phase P45+

I even like the way highlights are blown - film like..

What is film like? I don't see any of those shots as film like, sorry for that.

PeterA

I like the way the out of focus in the background is 'drawn' see the background in image two across my dam - well thats how I would describe the look-and I like the way highlights are blown - reminds me of film..

no need for apology you are entitled to see whatever you see or dont' -

but to my eyes, the Mamiya RZ glass isnt like my V series glass and is very different to HC glass, and is very different to Leica M and S2 glass ...very very different 'look' - the same shots made with different glass deliver different draw a much underestimated draw ..

Professional

I like the way the out of focus in the background is 'drawn' see the background in image two across my dam - well thats how I would describe the look-and I like the way highlights are blown - reminds me of film..

no need for apology you are entitled to see whatever you see or dont' -

but to my eyes, the Mamiya RZ glass isnt like my V series glass and is very different to HC glass, and is very different to Leica M and S2 glass ...very very different 'look' - the same shots made with different glass deliver different draw a much underestimated draw ..
I agree that Mamiya RZ shots giving me different result or look than my Hassy V, and both are different than digital MF, not sure if my Mamiya 7II will be almost same as RZ shots.
But when someone using a digital back on a film camera, doesn't that mean the shots are digital not film? it will give you 6x4.5 not 6x7.

PeterA

When I used the expression - "Film Like" - I meant the way the lenses draw - a lot of commercial work has been done with the RZ and to my eye there is a distinctive look to these lenses especially when using ambient light rather than studio lighting - for me far less digital look.
If you are talking about film size versus chip size - well that isnt what I was talking about.

mvirtue

Reposting from "Fun with MF images"
Maiden of the Creek

Mamiya RZ67ProII D W/ Aptus II 7

Dragged the RZ out to the creek in the rain. It was the first time I have really taken the RZ out of the studio. Yes, I had taken it out before when I first got it, but then it did not matter if the image I got were bad/out of focus/etc.

It all turned out better than I thought it had. An IQ back with focus mask would have made it a bit less nerveracking.

Now if my boots would dry out and my feet warm up, I'll be even happier. Standing in 40F water, with it sloshing over the tops of my wellies for 1.5 hours leaves a bit to be desired.

itsskin

Sometime I wonder, why people would bother with MF in general and RZ in particular to get grossly underexposed and over "portraiture filtered" wrong color images...
Really, why would you spend so much money for this kind of shot?

For all RZ considerers - THIS IS NO WHAT RZ SYSTEM CAN AND SHOULD DO.

mvirtue

Sometime I wonder, why people would bother with MF in general and RZ in particular to get grossly underexposed and over "portraiture filtered" wrong color images...
Really, why would you spend so much money for this kind of shot?

For all RZ considerers - THIS IS NO WHAT RZ SYSTEM CAN AND SHOULD DO.
I am confused. What I posted is a quick edit to what the AD wanted. The paint on the arms matches the paint chips that I was handed.

Last edited: