The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Single best Single Worst feautures in your camera

EH21

Nope I have tried the Contax but while I know quite a lot of good photographers that I respect use it, I felt it awkward and was not impressed with the viewfinder.

I am able to get sharp images with slow shutter speeds such as 1/15 with the Rollei don't get me wrong when I posted the previous image at a stated speed I was quite happy because the wind was blowing me around.

But I'd be interesred to see some of your shots hand held from whatever MF camera pleases you - so long as they are real shots and not pictures of wall calendars or print on cardboard boxes. :)
Anyone can keep shooting that stuff till they get a sharp one - much more valid to show something more challenging.
Oh man, this tells me that you have never used a Contax 645. Hand held use at slower speeds has more to do with the mirror damping than the shutter vibration. There is no MF camera that can be hand held at lower shutter speeds than the Contax 645. Hand held 1/60 is absolutely no problem for the Contax, and typically it can go to about 1/15 without blur. Until you actually shoot with one, you will not really appreciate what a good focal plane shutter camera can do.

Of course, it makes no sense to USE both shutters at the same time. It sounds like you have not used a Hasselblad 203 or 205 camera, which has a focalf shutter lens is mounted to these cameras, you can choose to use the leaf shutter only (e.g., for 1/500 flash sync), or the focal plane shutter only (e.g., for higher speeds up to 1/2000). This is what I believe the Hy6 should offer as well.

I believe this "two shutter system" is also the strategic direction for Phase and Mamiya. Their bodies are already based on focal plane shutters, and they have announced that they will be introducing leaf shutter lenses for these cameras as well....apparently very soon.

And, if Hasselblad has been listening to Marc Williams, you will eventually see a focal plane shutter added to their H series cameras.

woodyspedden

Yes oh yes oh yes............Please Hasselblad........a nice focal plane shutter body for those of us who need it. Christmas present?

Woody

Stuart Richardson

If you want to shoot handheld with medium format, nothing is going to beat the Mamiya 7II. Sadly, you are not going to find a digital back for it...

EH21

Yes, that would be cool a Mamiya 7II with digital back. Another couple we are not likely going to see that might be fun would be a TLR or a SL66 with digital backs.

Actually forgot to mention that the Rollei 6008 does have a focal plane shutter - its sort of an auxiliary shutter - not useful except for slow speeds. I have used it to shoot with optics sans shutter such as home made tilt shift stuff attached via body caps.