The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel Bag for Tech Camera and Lenses

vjbelle

I finally took delivery of the Kiboko. Its a little larger than I would like but it is still way smaller than airline regulations and it holds everything with room to spare. I absolutely love the divided top sections.... instead of having one large flap that opens. Its heavier than advertised.... I don't know how they came up with the weight of under 4 pounds as mine weighs 5.45 pounds with dividers. That's 2.45 pounds heavier than the Lowepro 300 AW but the added room and versatility make up for the added weight. Total weight with all of my stuff is 18.45 pounds. I only weigh 130 pounds but I'm in pretty good shape (I walk 3 to 4 miles daily). So, I think the weight of the bag as a backpack for 2 to 3 hour treks should be doable. So far I'm happy:)

Victor

Professional

Bag is a big issues, millions options out there, hehehe
I am not like any of you as i am not having much gear, i have Lowepro 3 bags, and one Kata, and one Gura Gear, and 2 Hard case bags for my MF cameras [digital and films].

etrump

I use a tamrac evolution 9 as it has a compartment in the top large enough for the camera with back and lens. The rest of the lens and accessories fit in small compartments on the lower half.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ed,

That Tamrac is quite the swiss army knife of camera bags! I don't think I've seen one with quite so many access and wear options in a single bag.

Btw, I have to recommend Tamrac's customer care - I had a waist belt clip come off one of my Tamrac bags when traveling and they sent me a complete buckle set for free, with absolutely no bother at all. Very helpful phone support and excellent service. :thumbs:

kuau

Workshop Member
Finally got around to getting my new Kelty / Photobackpacker setup.
So far I am loving it and it looks like just a normal day backpack.
Steven

pophoto

Finally got around to getting my new Kelty / Photobackpacker setup.
So far I am loving it and it looks like just a normal day backpack.
Steven

Hiya, I can't make out those individual compartments, are they part of the Kelty bag or from somewhere else, they look absolutely perfect!

Thanks
Po

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use a Think tank speed freak. Holds my Cambo ,lens and back and room to stack two lenses. Just did this with stacking the Rodie 32 and SK 43. Worked out very nicely. It's stiffer than a messenger bag but kind of like that for the tech came . Holds it shape for faster working

kuau

Workshop Member
I use a Think tank speed freak. Holds my Cambo ,lens and back and room to stack two lenses. Just did this with stacking the Rodie 32 and SK 43. Worked out very nicely. It's stiffer than a messenger bag but kind of like that for the tech came . Holds it shape for faster working
Guy mine holds its shape also because there is a custom rigid back board that keeps the pack rigid, and also all the compartments attach to the backing via velcro and to each other via velcro kind if a neat setup

dchew

I also use the Speed Freak. The OP said no shoulder bags, which the SF obviously is, but I agree it fits a three-lens kit very nicely. Perhaps the best thing about the SF is the way it fits when the hip belt is used. Snug up in just the right area of your back. It is the most comfortable shoulder bag I've ever used.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Going to take a few shots of mine today with my Cambo in it since most of the Alpa's are pretty much around the same size as my Cambo. The Rm3d looks a touch to big for the speed freak but there is a bigger size. I did not try putting Jacks or Bobs in my bag but the Arca is a bigger cam for sure. I think my Cambo is basically 6 inches both in height and width.

dchew

I don't have the viewfinder, so my STC goes in sideways with the handle up. But I think it would still fit with the viewfinder on pointing up. Also, I have the 150 SB, which has to have the extention tube removed to fit. The ET goes in a wrap under the camera.

Dave

cly

I have the Loka and it is a real backpack - light weight, very sturdy construction, distributes the weight extremely comfortably plus it has a shaped back to fit your spine and best of all it opens from the top side so you don't put the side you wear in the mud/dirt. With the ICU options you can use the same bag with different gear - I just ordered another large ICU for my DF outfit.
How easy/fast is access to the contents of an ICU? Do you always close the ICU when closing the Loca? What I really like about the TT harddrive is how fast I have access to the stuff: When working in a crowded situation, it's important to have fast access and get the backpack back onto your back. But carrying a fully loaded TT harddrive isn't fun.

Chris

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Chris,

I leave the ICU cover unzipped and just tuck it under the edge of the rear opening. It still provides the protection but is a lot faster to access this way. I've left the foam pad inside so that the cover stays semi-rigid but I'm considering taking that out as it is a layer of protection that probably is overkill. Without the pad the inner cover is very flexible and would be easier to zip. When the ICU cover is zipped you can release the Velcro and remove it from the pack via the top opening which allows for a relatively simple exchange of the entire contents. It's a tight fit though for this. You can keep several ICUs with different outfits in them and swap them over in the same bag. That is easier in theory than in practice I found so I got a Satori for my DF outfit.

The rear facing cover zips very quickly to get in/out of the pack. This is also sculpted so that it fits the arch of your back very comfortably which seems to be something few other packs do well.

cly

Thanks, Graham! So it's probably time for another bag. And for an explanation why this one does what none of the various cam bags in my office can do :)

Chris