The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some thought regarding IQ180

anGy

My dealer gave me the chance to test an IQ180 during a week. I'm a P40+ user and want to evaluate the need to upgrade. The goal is for using the back in combo with the DF camera for all kind of amateur purpose and on a Cambo WRS for architecture paying jobs.

So, after 2 days, here is a small initial summary:
* The interface is a huge improvement.
I was first thinking that Phase was exagerating, charging that much extra money for a better (needed) screen and some extra widgets. But this new interface does change the way pictures are taken. It brings me a lot more control and decrease drasticaly the rate of missed shots. The screen is beautiful, the focus mask, histogram and exposition warning just perfect.
It really does increase my control over composition, expo, and focus.
Only cons points are:
I find the onscreen image to be quite soft at 100%. It is not that easy to judge sharp or thack sharp images on it. But of course magic focus mask is there to help.
It should be nice being able to navigate from 1 image to another in 100% zoom mode to compare their sharpness. Now you have to db clic for 100% view, then reduce to screen size, then scroll to the other image then db clic for 100% view. Not a big deal but a fixed 100% view could be better (if the processor can digest that ?).

On the DF camera, it saved me a few missed focus shots already as the Mam. 150mm f2.8 I also received on test is front focussing after the first half-press on the AF button (pressing it several times helps).

On the Cambo WRS with 35mm Schneider digitar, the new interface became quickly a must have. No need (immediate need I should say) in investing on a viewfinder, a disto and HPF rings. Simplicity...

My first impression on using the IQ180 with the 35mm Schneider is that 5mm shift left & right when the sensor is in its horizontal position is a max. The color cast and vignetting are strong. Capture 1 can deal with them but noise does clearly appear in the corners. With a 10 to 12mm shift, Capture 1 cannot always correct: oversaturated data error message is sometimes displayed.

The center filter seem to help for color cast too. The color cast shots show a bit less magenta color than without the filter - but maybe I'm biased by the fact that vignetting is stronger and then magenta color darker without the filter.
By the way, when pixel peeping, I can't see no center sharpness difference with or without the filter. But light was very flat during the shot and that did not help compare micro contrast.

But what about the 80mpix sensor ?
I was expecting so much that I was a bit disappointed. The resolution difference between the P40+ and the IQ180 are not THAT huge. But, comparing the 2 backs, I even began to think that the IQ180 does present a more 'dslr like' result. The P40 images are crisper and with more contrast. Scary as the last thing I want to invest on is in a 80mpix DSLR...

At the end of the afternoon....I discovered that the 150mm I was using was not the Schneider 150mm LS but the Mam 150mm.... Compared to my 80mm Schneider, the 150mm Mam does look less sharp (although I know this 150mm lens has a very good reputation). So now I'll redo tests with the 80mm schneider. Maybe the 150mm Mam copy I have does not follow the IQ180 resolving power ? The last test shot I made (studio shot with flash gen.) clearly showed wonderfull details, that the P40 could not approach.
With the 150mm Mam, images of the IQ180 looked almost like they were taken from the P40 and upscaled. Need to be investigated.

I didn't see the extra dynamic range this new back is supposed to have. With controlled light and compared to the P40 I just saw more or less an equal histo in the extreme left and right zones. Again, to be further anaylsed.

The most pleasant surprise was about the colors. The look is very natural and pleasing. Strong yellows maybe are a bit off, needing extra saturation, but the overall colors do appeal me more than my P40+.

I hope that - in a week - I will be able to determine if I will upgrade to a IQ140 - 160 or 180.
I'm afraid by the 'too shallow' depth of field of the larger sensors.
But also concerned by the need to shift all the time with the Cambo and P40+
The 'DSLR look' first impression was also scary. Colors are saturated and beautifully natural. But there is a lack of 'natural sharpness' and 'natural 3d effect/micro contrast' on some shots compared to my P40+
But this can be the result of using a bad copy of the Mam 150mm - or also to unappropriate C1 parameters.

But maybe the IQ160 is the ultimate back I will die with: a perfect interface, beautiful pixels and.. oh noo, no super natural colors. That's clearly in the IQ180 camp.

So that's it for this report that should have take more care and time (as a better english).
Please do remember I'm no pro photographer and that these comments are only initial thoughts :salute:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You can switch from 1:1 to 1:1 without zooming. Just use the buttons.
+1

Also if you're 150mmD images were not impressive regarding sharpness you need to examine if shutter speed (which is more critical with longer lenses), aperture selection (regarding diffraction which is more critical with higher res backs) or software settings are responsible. It's always possible you saw a bad copy of the 150, but having shot several 150 D lenses it's very hard to find any meaningful fault in them. Simply a stunningly great lens. (I don't say that about every lens we sell).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

anGy

+1

Also if you're 150mmD images were not impressive regarding sharpness you need to examine if shutter speed (which is more critical with longer lenses), aperture selection (regarding diffraction which is more critical with higher res backs) or software settings are responsible. It's always possible you saw a bad copy of the 150, but having shot several 150 D lenses it's very hard to find any meaningful fault in them. Simply a stunningly great lens. (I don't say that about every lens we sell).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)
So the copy I have is not representative. Used it at f5,6 / f8 / f11 on tripod, with MLU, with remote trigger, with 5sec between MLU and shoot / with focus mask confirmation.. and bzzzz, nothing impressive out of the IQ180.
Spent the day testing it with my Cambo WRS and with DF + 80mm Schneider LS - and it is a complete other story. Images from the Cambo are impressive, images from the 80mm Schneider LS are stunning. Happy that my dealer give me so much time for testing.

Just for fun, some pics of today:

Christopher

"So the copy I have is not representative. Used it at f5,6 / f8 / f11 on tripod, with MLU, with remote trigger, with 5sec between MLU and shoot / with focus mask confirmation.. and bzzzz, nothing impressive out of the IQ180."

That doesn't matter at all, what matters is the actual exposure time!!! If it is between 1/100-1/4th or similar it doesn't matter if you use 20s MLU, the shutter is creating to much vibration and not the mirror. In my experience the lens can only be 100% sharp aboth 1/125 better even 1/200 or below 1 s

anGy

"So the copy I have is not representative. Used it at f5,6 / f8 / f11 on tripod, with MLU, with remote trigger, with 5sec between MLU and shoot / with focus mask confirmation.. and bzzzz, nothing impressive out of the IQ180."

That doesn't matter at all, what matters is the actual exposure time!!! If it is between 1/100-1/4th or similar it doesn't matter if you use 20s MLU, the shutter is creating to much vibration and not the mirror. In my experience the lens can only be 100% sharp aboth 1/125 better even 1/200 or below 1 s
I made tests outside with very dull light and low shutter speed but also with studio light at 1/125e. Maybe more speed is necessary - but it's a no go then for this lens as it won't delivery all its potential in studio.

Should further investigate at 1/500e if the sun finally comes out here :toocool:

tashley

Subscriber Member
IMHO there are strange sweet spots of sympathetic vibrations in the entire system. It depends on the exact back/body/head/tripod combination but it's not at all uncommon for 1/10th of a second to work better than 1/15th, for example, and 1/25th to be disastrous. Just run some tests to find what works for you. There were some really long threads about this a while back and I think we all mostly agreed that a gitzo CF with no centre column, topped with a Cube and then using six second MUP gives the best chance but there will still be sweet spots that might surprise you and which can only be found by testing.

Jack know more about this than anyone...

Stefan Steib

Tashley

we are using the exact same shutter as the Phasemiya 645 DF in our HCam-B1. It does not induce the slightest vibration into the system,
we have tested this very intensly. But of course we do have some differences compared to the DF Body: we have mounted the shutter in a Rubber block and the rubber block is directly mounted on our Backplate which is made of an 8 mm massive Aluminium plate. Because of this you can use any time, with any focal lenght, on any stable tripod, without delay and image degradation.

regards
Stefan Steib HCam.de