The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Real Estate

PeterA

I am spending way too much work time on this forum..thats a good thing... :)

reading Guy's thread on the comps in 75 and playing with my Alpa - thought I'd add a bit of Aussie humour fun into the discussion..just to keep 35mm whimps in their place..:D

getting my gear ready for a nice holiday in Paris - any thoughts ideas on what to do there and what galleries to visit ( photographically) would be much appreciated..

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Peter,

I hate to mention this but there seems to be a silver line running vertically
down your picture...no I think there are two or three of them...and I see what looks like a man running...I hope that your Alpa doesn't suffer from the dreaded centerfold, err vertical line, err lens cast problem.

Wait...is that some sort of door? Oh, never mind!

Nice capture by the way...I guess that you won't be waiting for the next
firmware upgrade from Alpa. Paris with an Alpa sounds wonderful. We would all love to see the pictures when you return.

Regards,

Bob Moore

PeterA

hahahah @ Doc for Alpa firmware upgrade comment. -:)

and btw - that is as clean as my work desk gets..

Craig - loving your 'post shot work more and more...may have to organise to catch up with you in person in new year - so you can school me up! -;)

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

Nice shots, though agree with Doc about the neatness ;)

I know you have both a 24mm and a 35mm lens, but am wondering if you've ever seen/used the 28 Rodenstock? Perhaps you, or any of the other very wealthy Alpa users could comment on it. :ROTFL:

Having said that, I wonder if the 28 were your wide, which other couple of lenses would you select. There are quite a number to choose from, but only a few "digital" ones. Thinking along these lines, but am not certain which way to go?

Have fun in Paris and post some shots along the way.

Cheers,

Jim

PeterA

hiya Jim,

thanks for your good wishes. Regarding lenses - the 24 is too wide for many applications - therefore I bought the 35...which is pretty much glued on teh Alpa...

I have never tried the 28 Rodenstock - but have hear only good things about this lens some saying it is even better than the 35 from Schneider. A one lens 'kit' for the Alpa isnt a bad Idea to my way of thinking - and therefore you should check out the Rodenstock as perhaps the best one lens solution.

Careful what you buy as there isnt a big market for used Alpa lenses..also the digi specked lenses are in my mind essential if you want to get the most out of your back

I will take the Alpa along with me and maybe a monopod as well..although this breaks my hand held rule -:)

Cheers
Pete

kipling

a very wise man once told me that there is practicly zero difference between the digital rodenstock hm lenses and the less expensive enlarging lenses (apo rodagon or apo-componon hm mc). similar lens formulas, different names. i'm just spreading rumor here because i've never had a reason to try them out, but if i were in the market for a digital lens i'd dig deeper. they are't extreem wides, the widest i know of is the schneider W 2,8/40 mm and from rodenstock the apo rodagon 50mm. the rodenstocks are widespread and most are dirt cheap second hand. the are optically corrected for ultimate sharpness for 8:1 enargement but suppodedly work wel at other distances. just a thought...maybe someone else knows more.

PeterA

Hey Kip - you lost me there - I actually dont understand your post...

Firstly, the widest lens you can get in an Alpa mount ( the lenses have to be mounted in their helical mount ) is the Schneider 24mm. Rodenstock do make a 28 which is uspposed to be good and Schneider make a very very sharp 35. Apart from the Alpa helical mount I do believe that these lenses haev a different image circle to a dirt cheap LF lens...Personally I think the longest lens I woudl ever try to use on the Alpa would be a 47mm - that is what Alpa is about ...to me anyway ..wide angle shooting.

in any case I would love to hear from anyone who has hot rodded a standard LF lens onto an Alpa...

kipling

hey pete, i was completely off topic - nothing to do with wide angle shooting. and i also have no idea what lenses can be used on the alpa, etc. : )

PeterA

no prob Kip - just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying.. :)looking forward to your thoughts on the blad.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Peter, this is obviously a carefully staged photograph. None of us would ever have such a clean desk.
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

And Peter, you ARE definitely showing off... And making me very jealous! LOLOL! Seriously, congratulations on owning such a phenomenal outfit and have an awesome time in Paris.

PS: As for suggestions, I would think the 24 on the Alpa set up on the steps of Sacre Coeur at night and aimed at the Eiffel Tower, would make a stunning image. Yeah, it's been done, but not by you ;) Other one is the Arc at night. BTW, don't leave out the M8 --- lots of interesting street opportunities along the left bank, just don't do it alone.

Cheers,

fotografz

Did somebody say "Real Estate"?

Here's one from yesterday's commercial shoot ( a deliberate high contrast image that's being stripped into a stock shot of Paparazzi flashing away at night for an Ad in wedding magazines).

Just used my wimpy 31 meg H3D 1.3X crop frame for this one : -)

Last edited:

PeterA

Lovely shot Marc - and a very creative thought..these wedding shots are very precious to people - especially in years to come.