The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca cube safety stop not working

m21apsh

Hi,
Has anyone ever experience Cube safety stop not function?
It was just simply not locked.

I could not figure out how to fix it. Any advice?

If I will have to replace it, any suggestion? RRS maybe? Why?

Who can Fix it in NYC ?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Are you speaking of the lever clamp.
Yes - I use it rather than the screw clamp because the release is a different motion than operating the controls on the cube. This is part of the strategy of protecting myself from my own stupidity - at one point I had a screw clamp on the cube and found myself loosening the clamp when I thought I was leveling the camera - a potential disaster.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree I hate and let me repeat hate the screw down clamps. I almost lost my rig 3 times with the RRS pano clamp. Threw every RRS clamp out or sold it. I use the Arca lever clamp on both monopod and tripod. The safety catch is the key but you must tighten it down to a certain level so when you do the first release the clamp should stick hard enough down to still hold it firm. Than the second part of the release it will come off. But you must make sure you get that thumbscrew down to your camera clamp size and hold it firmly in place with weight of camera so it does not fall out and I have seen it happen.

Audii-Dudii

I could not figure out how to fix it. Any advice?
From your description, it sounds like it's simply not adjusted properly. Have you fiddled with the silver adjustment nut inside the clamp? If you turn it, you can tighten the clamping action...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
On some Arca QR clamps, the first lock position does not lock -- I have one such clamp myself. I replaced it and use it as a spare. If your Cube is new Arca should replace it for you. However, as noted above, if you have your clamp set too tight, it may not allow the lock to engage, so you could try loosening it just a little.

Finally, I realize you may not be talking about the clamp, but rather about the stops for the geared pivoting? If so, those are little pins placed in the tracks next to the gears, and it is possible you are missing one. Also an easy fix for Arca.

kdphotography

If the AS clamp is "broken" then you'll need a repair/replacement. I think much of the difficulty in using the AS clamp (ala the Cube) is that there is a distinct void in detailed instructions or directions in using or adjusting the clamp. No joke, my Cube came with a poorly photocopied B&W sheet of paper---looked like it was a copy that had been copied, and then again a few hundred times too many.

The instructions are piss-poor on adjustments and use. Nothing is more upsetting (startling?) than having the clamp mechanism fall-apart ( it gently explodes since its spring-loaded) in your lap while trying to fiddle/adjust the lever. It's easy enough to fix, but upsetting nonetheless. The "second-stage" catch is not well-described at all. I think Jack did a much better job selling and describing how this lever works here at GetDPI on an old thread.

Thank god AS is well-engineered. I'd hate to have to search for their FAQ page on their website. Oh wait, nevermind.... :rolleyes:

ken

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree instructions are not even close to the reality of how it works. I think a video is in order. LOL

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If the AS clamp is "broken" then you'll need a repair/replacement. I think much of the difficulty in using the AS clamp (ala the Cube) is that there is a distinct void in detailed instructions or directions in using or adjusting the clamp. No joke, my Cube came with a poorly photocopied B&W sheet of paper---looked like it was a copy that had been copied, and then again a few hundred times too many.

The instructions are piss-poor on adjustments and use. Nothing is more upsetting (startling?) than having the clamp mechanism fall-apart ( it gently explodes since its spring-loaded) in your lap while trying to fiddle/adjust the lever. It's easy enough to fix, but upsetting nonetheless. The "second-stage" catch is not well-described at all. I think Jack did a much better job selling and describing how this lever works here at GetDPI on an old thread.

Thank god AS is well-engineered. I'd hate to have to search for their FAQ page on their website. Oh wait, nevermind.... :rolleyes:

ken
Let me tell you a short story relating to an AS clamp, poor instructions about how to adjust the tension in the clamp and a big hard rock in Sedona ...

For such a wonderful piece of gear their instructions are pathetic. 10 seconds of hands-on tutorial with another Cube user goes a long way to avoiding issues such as the infamous exploding washer experience and not setting the clamp tight enough.

Once you know how to set the clamp properly I find that it's probably one of the best lever clamps you can find. The double clutch release actually is a good design once you know how to configure and use it properly. I've used RRS clamps for a long time also and they work very well but they have no adjustability which is their only real downside.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Admin note: Since Graham's unfortunate mishap with the Sedona redrock, we've added a mini tripod, head, clamp and optional rail set-up and use tutorial at the beginning of each workshop.

m21apsh

From your description, it sounds like it's simply not adjusted properly. Have you fiddled with the silver adjustment nut inside the clamp? If you turn it, you can tighten the clamping action...
Dear audio and everyone,

Thanks for all ur advices.
After carefully exam the clamp switch, there wasn't anything broken or miss part. Similpy the "silver adjustment nut inside the clamp" not long enough to stop the switch. After few turning the nut, nut extended and lock flawlessly.

Superb. Arca cube still rock!!

Thanks

Jeff

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jeff,

Glad to hear that you worked it out!

The secret is adjusting the silver locking nut so that when the clamp is half open that it is snug enough so that the camera plate won't move. You'll only be able to remove the plate if you fully open the clamp to it's second opening, and when fully closed the grip on the camera plate will be absolutely solid.

It would be nice if Arca engraved a little arrow on the clamp by the adjuster so that it was obvious which way tightens it. As Ken mentioned, if you undo it too far it'll detonate little spacing washers & spring out and you then have to reassemble it. Not a difficult task but a real bitch if you happen to do it in the field. (Luckily most of us find this out at home when we adjust it straight out of the box!). In my mishap I had been using the clamp for probably a year and the grip on the plate was never a problem. On the fateful day I had the tripod at an angle as I adjusted a leg and my DF & 75-150 was mounted on it, securely as I thought as I'd been carrying it over my shoulder like that all week without any bother. Well, it wasn't as tight as needed and no doubt the weight, angle and perhaps a slight loosening of the adjuster had occurred at some point by me and so it wasn't tight enough and the plate slide out with inevitable consequences. I'd always adjusted the tension with the clamp half open with just enough tolerance to be able to mount the plate - that's not enough tension and you need to set it with the clamp fully open, I.e. at the point where you've released the lock AND pulled back the thumb lock on the clamp lever. I can't blame anyone but myself for the mishap but better instructions sure would have helped me avoid this in the first place. Maybe this note will help someone else or prompt you to check the grip of your clamp ...

roweraay

B&H indicates "no longer available" against the Arca-Swiss Cube C1 (I got mine a couple of months back).

The version with the overpriced leather bag is still available, and I guess it is just a case of stocks being run down.

I am guessing they are clearing the way for the cheaper D4.

RodK

Currently, I have no information that the cube is being discontinued.
It has a higher weight capacity and therefore can serve a different user who requires that
or wishes full gear with no clutches. Also the movements are right or left handed on a cube for vertical and horizontal adjustment.
Later this month i will verify, but as i said, no plans to discontinue the C1 cube(With no case). B&H does not carry the entire Arca-Swiss line anyway.
Rod

dchew

There is one more important tip about the AS clamp: close it completely whenever a camera is NOT mounted. I call it The Duffin Rule, because David's sprung a leak in the back of the car at PODAS, and all the parts were never found. AS paper weight for the rest of the trip.

Dave