The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

advice on a problem

danlindberg

Hi,

I am trying for the very first time my Aptus II 5 (brandnew) and my (new to me but second hand) Alpa SWA + SK 35XL + SK 72L.

It is not going well.

It looked simple enough and the 4 first exposures actually came out "normal", but the next 25 or so has come out like this....

Yes, I have written an email to my dealer for advice, but I thought that maybe someone here has seen this before and know what to do!

What I have done is the following. I have formatted the CF on my imac to FAT32, then done a quick format in-DB. I have done this with 3 different CF's.

I have tried both the 35mm and the 72mm with the same result, which means to me that there is nothing wrong with shutters.

I have used "factory settings" on the back and the only thing I have changed is to go in and tick "large format", nothing else.

My hope! is that it is as simple as a faulty sync cable!!!! Could this happen with a sync cable not working correctly? I only have the one, so I cannot check that.

Or does anyone have another suggestion of what to try?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It has nothing to do with camera lens or anything else except the back or the card.
first you might try formatting the card in the back in other than "quick" mode if offered.
Be sure that the CF card you are using is one that the manufacturer supports.

Are these short exposures such that a drank frame image is not being taken?
thanks
-bob

I had odd problems, not like this but corrupted files with weird lines on an Aptus 7 II (Actually a DM33). That card type simply doesn't work, a SanDisk Ultra 30 MB/s 8GB. For other cards, I was still concerned as the manual actually recommend FAT16 but my mac cannot format that (FAT 32 as you say), what I did in the end was format it in a Nikon body.

I also had other odd exposure issues to a faulty cable. Those issues were more like yours but not as extreme. I tried a better quality, new sync cable and it was fine.

Thierry

I would not completely exclude a faulty sync cable. But in any case, re-format the CF cards as suggested by Bob.

Thierry

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Did you check the extra option for Master Boot Record (MBR) per the Leaf article on formatting CF cards prior to first use?

http://www.leaf-photography.com/files/support/technical_bulletin_formatting_CF_cards.pdf

I'd also try another CF card - preferably a SanDisk Pro.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

danlindberg

Thank you all,

I have reformatted the card following the link from Doug. Now when I expose absolutely nothing happens on the back. It stays quiet.

This does suggest to me that the sync cable is broken and no signal is going through. Atleast I hope so....

I will buy new ones tomorrow and try again!

danlindberg

I finally found a new sync cable. Unfortunately the result is exactly the same :(

Just to test the lenses socket, I put a studioflash cord into the lens socket and exposed. No problem, on both lenses, the flash goes off as it should.

I have gone through the formatting routine from the link by Doug on;

* Sandisk Ultra 30mb/s 4GB
* Sandisk Ultra II 15mb/s 4GB
* Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/s 4GB

First tries as is from formatting from the Imac. Secondly, making a quick format in DB.

All of these attempts results in images like posted before. :wtf:

danlindberg

No, I just tested the lens socket, holding only the lens in hand with the flash cord connected. The flash went of upon exposing, suggesting that the lens socket is ok.

Thierry

My guess is that there would be a normal image registered, if connected to the DB, but you should try this to make it sure.
Still the sync cable, the shutter itself (but then on 2 lenses at the same time would be really weird) are IMO the cause.
Are you sure also to have selected the right "Camera Setting"?

In any case, I would let this tested out by your dealer, he has the best knowledge to address this issue quickly.

Thierry

No, I just tested the lens socket, holding only the lens in hand with the flash cord connected. The flash went of upon exposing, suggesting that the lens socket is ok.

danlindberg

My guess is that there would be a normal image registered, if connected to the DB, but you should try this to make it sure.
Thierry, I do not follow you here. Ofcourse the sync cable is connected when I shoot, otherwise nothing could be registered.

If the camera setting is not at "large format" then nothing registers, so everytime there is an actual capture, it is set to "large format". The rest is at factory settings.

I am going to Copenhagen on Monday to a dealer to have a look at it, but it is unlucky because I am off this weekend to a fantastic area where I would like to shoot....

wellwell....

This is capture number 51!

Thierry

I just meant "with a D back" attached and connected to make sure that a normal image is then registered by the back.
You wrote, "No, just with the lens hold in hand and flash cord connected", when I asked you if there is a normal image produced in this case.

Thierry

Thierry, I do not follow you here. Ofcourse the sync cable is connected when I shoot, otherwise nothing could be registered.

danlindberg

Well, with my DB connected it does not produce anything like a normal image.

By connecting a flash to the lens x socket (and thus no connection to a DB) was just a test to see that the x socket on the lens was giving a signal.

Right now, I do not think I can solve this for the weekend, I have tried everything I can for two days. On Monday I am able to try another Alpa lens, other CF cards, other sync cables and also another Leaf back, so we can pinpoint where the problem lies.

Luckily I am the kind of person that is calm and know that eventually I will have a system that will give me lots of pleasure. It is just that it is "slightly" frustrating when everything is new to me and nothing works....

Thierry

Well, you should try this with a DB connected. It would allow you to eliminate 3 variables, the back, the x-socket and the shutter, if it produces a normal image.

Then there would be only the sync cord and the CF card left, in the list of possible culprits. Although you have changed the cable already, it doesn't mean the problem is not coming from this part.

Thierry

By connecting a flash to the lens x socket (and thus no connection to a DB) was just a test to see that the x socket on the lens was giving a signal.

danlindberg

Thierry, I am sorry, but I do not understand. If you have the x socket on the lens occupied with a flashcord, how do you then connect to the DB? If you mean as I understand is correct, lens x socket to DB and then flashcord to the x socket on the DB, then I have done that several times with the same result as shown.

Guy, that I had not tried, so I installed the software and tried. The liveview then showed the strange artifacts live, so that eliminates bad CF cards. But problem remains.

So, it seems quite obvious as most also are guessing. It is a signal problem!

I have 2 lenses behaving the same. Can I be unlucky that both x sockets are not giving the right signal? (both tested ok with flashcord connected and triggered the flash)

I have one secondhand sync cable and today bought a new sync cable, both gives the same result. Can I be so unlucky that both are broken?

Or, how likely is it that it is actually the input connection on the brandnew Aptus DB that is broken?

Interesting this :shocked:

yaya

Dan what sort of shutter speeds are you getting this at?

You have a flash so try shooting at a fast shutter speed like 1/125 or faster; Typically Copal shutter that are faulty will start showing this at relatively slow shutter speeds but will still work OK at faster speeds with flash

Yair