The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Cams: Why I like tilt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, this is a little off-topic. In an earlier post, you said that you would probably go with the Cambo WRS, but you seem to have gone with the Arca. Did one thing change your mind? Or was it an accumulation of small things?
From this post, I see that you owned an Arca in the LF days.
Thanks, your posts always have a strong element of common sense to them.
There were a few things that moved me to Arca. Without belittling the Cambo in any way, the first was the build quality of the Arca is top notch, and IMHO the Cambo is a little behind here --- not bad mind you, just not in the same league for precision and smoothness as the Arca. Second was the precision of the tilt mechanism -- the Arca again is more precise and most importantly does zero accurately where the Cambo I demoed had enough play that a true zero was difficult to achieve reliably. The next thing was focus granularity -- the Arca helical is very fine and has a decent total throw for the range of tech lens focals, and being on the body you have no need to shim anything, simply make an offset calibration adjustment instead. Next was cost -- by the time you put three lenses in Cambo TS mounts, the total cost of the system was more than the Arca. Finally, I did own an F-Metric in my LF days and loved the precision, ease of use and self-locking adjustments -- and the RM3D carries that on, using similar precision self-locking rise, shift and tilt adjusters.

One significant point in favor of the Cambo, is with its TS lensmount you do get tilt AND swing at the same time -- not so with the Arca, only swing or tilt.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
One other thing is the Arca body does the tilting so all lenses will tilt. Cambo you have to buy the tilt/ swing mount for each lens.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack

Can you pleae give a reference to that shade .
I have big trouble finding the correct ARCA items .
Thanks .
I am still confirming, but I think it's product number 111000 bellows hood that includes a 111007 connecting rod. There is also an optional dog-leg rod I am trying to get the part number for -- it allows a bit of positioning to make better way for the tech cables and such.

lenslover

It seems to me that the old-fashioned solution of a coupled rangefinder, even if it is a laser, is a viable solution. Arca has the wiring built in for this, but uses the unobtainable and problematic sonic device.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jack .

Off topic once more . The 111000 is the 6x9 size , which I have still from my LF days , but it is too small for wide angle .
Then there is a 110+141 size and a 4x5 (171) size , but I can not find the size in cm anywhere .

Which model did you order ? And will that model be ok for the 4/40 DIGARON-W ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jack .

Off topic once more . The 111000 is the 6x9 size , which I have still from my LF days , but it is too small for wide angle .
Then there is a 110+141 size and a 4x5 (171) size , but I can not find the size in cm anywhere .

Which model did you order ? And will that model be ok for the 4/40 DIGARON-W ?
I ordered the 111000 for 6x9, and specifically for my 40 HR-W. I am told it is the proper shade for the RM3's. However, I am also told the RM3Di needs the straight rod, while the older RM3D uses the dog-leg mounting rod. Which rod do you have? When you say it is too small for wideangle, exactly what do you mean -- that it won't extend far enough, or isn't big enough diameter?

Guy Mancuso

Okay time for my rant:

So here I sit in the maybe the brightest sun on the planet and you take a slow cam and make it even slower to work with when you have the best 5 finger hand tool on the planet your left hand and you leave that for playing what pocket pool. This is not working guys this is using shiny chrome ornaments on the hood of your car. Just sayin

I never had flare in my life with the trusty hand tool.:wtf:

It just had to be said. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Guy, now now, don't let practicality get in the way of an opportunity to buy some new toys for the camera! :ROTFL:

Btw, a baseball cap works pretty well too although it's tough to know exactly where to put it out of frame when you are shooting without the aid of live view or an accurate viewfinder. To be fair to the tech folks, it is much easier to manage flare manually with a DSLR.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack it isn't big enough for the 32. It works fine with the 40, but i prefer the 4x5 version.
Okay to clarify: The 32HR-W has an 86mm filter thread. I do not have one to measure, but I suspect the outer diameter of the lens barrel at the front is about 89mm across? The 111000 hood, is 88mm on the inside diameter of the square, or just shy of being able to slip over the outside of the 32 lens barrel. BUT, there is PLENTY of material there that 2-3mm could easily be ground off at the centers of each edge (or all the way around), opening up the overall diameter to 92-94mm and then it would work. Granted, it's an aftermarket fix, but certainly what I will do if I ever get a 32 HR -- a friend with a milling machine or even a 50mm drum sander in a drill press by hand. I even suspect if I mention this to Arca, they might make this simple modification to the hood at the factory going forward...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Okay time for my rant:

So here I sit in the maybe the brightest sun on the planet and you take a slow cam and make it even slower to work with when you have the best 5 finger hand tool on the planet your left hand and you leave that for playing what pocket pool. This is not working guys this is using shiny chrome ornaments on the hood of your car. Just sayin

I never had flare in my life with the trusty hand tool.:wtf:

It just had to be said. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
I used to have a habit that would keep them occupied, but no longer.
Today my wide brimmed Tilley hat worked fine but a very wide might be more difficult. I am pretty sure that if I cut out the crown that it would work for the 32mm with no difficulty.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

For 600 dollars I'll make you all custom cardboard shades blacked out with a fake wood grain grip holder. Lol

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Sometimes you just need focus stacking. 6 image stacked. 25mm of rise, reaching close to the edge of the image circle of my SK APO 120 N on my Alpa Max + IQ 180. I'm going back to reshoot this - this was my first day with the 120 and I'm a few steps short of having it optimized. (For example I measured the distance to the street lamp but because it's off axis the measurement was subject to focus-recompose error, which is very visible at 1:1.)

For the 120mm at f16 the resolution decline as you move out the image circle is very gentle until it gets dark at around 100 mm diameter.

For our leaders - is there some way that we could collect in depth reactions to tech camera lenses? There are a lot of technically skilled tech camera users on this forum and I'd love to see their thoughts collected in some usable way. this would be a unique resource.

Guy Mancuso

I have been reported by one of the mods. For my custom made cardboard shade. Been reported I am a scammer,spammer and down right unethical on price gouging. Okay there right, the grip is 1960's vinyl wood grain from my families old couch. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Btw in a pinch you know that color passport we all carry around, great shade as well.