The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 80MP Stitched ?

alan_w_george

:)

Hi folks, I'm glad to be here. I must admit I don't post often (4th post -- woohoo!) though I do read and learn a lot.

I'm relatively new to photography. I got hooked while in grad school in 2003, and I still remember being bowled over in 2004 when seeing Charles Cramer's 24x30 prints at the Ordover Gallery in San Diego. I've since developed a strong interest in printing. And keeping my prints away from my cats.

I joined the Camera Raw engineering team at Adobe in early 2008. The main focus of my work is raw image processing (noise, color, optics, sharpening, etc.) and camera support. So the main products I'm involved with are Camera Raw and Lightroom. New cameras regularly cross my desk: everything from compacts to MFDBs, just as long as it supports raw! It's my responsibility to test these cameras, measure them, and characterize them. And keep them away from my cats.

While I enjoy brainstorming about new image processing techniques and hacking code, I also enjoy engaging directly with photographers and consider user education a top priority. This is why I like to go to the forums and (when possible) meet face-to-face with photographers ... I get a much better sense of what works and what doesn't. It helps me to understand the wish lists and pain points of photographers. And it gives me an opportunity to explain (more in depth) how certain features of Camera Raw and Lightroom work. As long as the cats aren't sitting on my keyboard.

:)

Eric

S

svema

I've just finished my first serious job with the 180 and was a bit surprised by the results. My beautiful Bali skies have banding in them. Its very uniform too - 3 feint vertical bands - the first right down the middle, the other two equidistant from the middle and the sides. It is about a column wide with slight shadow a few columns wide.
I checked the sensor and see that it actually appears to be a grid of 6 sensors - divided in exactly the same way as my sky....

The banding is very noticeable in Lightroom. Its is quite hard to spot though in C1 - as though there is an algorithm to conceal it - although it is still noticeable on 100% crop whilst moving the image (before it appears to be dithered).
I'm on a laptop so I'm struggling a bit to visualise/assess whether this would be visible in large prints when processed via C1 (my usual workflow). Lightroom clearly isn't viable.
Have others seen this effect ?

PS: Aside from this, the 180 is phenomenal - so this isn't a bashing thread - just trying to figure out what this banding thing is and how to work around it.

M
Hallo. You should try to use DNG converter.(http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5023&promoid=DTEHQ).

G

Googaliser

It doesn't specifically support the IQ backs yet.
Anyway, I'm back at HQ now and reviewing my IQ shots properly - and lets just say that Lightroom will not be seeing another IQ RAW for a very long time. Its been said time and time again here - but its true. C1 rocks. I just need to invest more time in getting slick with it. Its a necessity.
M