The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DB on a rolleiflex dreamin

faneuil

STILL dreaming of getting my phase 1 DB on a vintage rolleiflex.
Anyone done this successfully?

On that same topic.. would love to get said digi back on a Mamiya 6!
any progress on that more realistic goal?

Eric

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No and No.

The only Rollei mount Phase One back was an OEM called the DB20 which was based on the P20. There were very few made and they are very hard to find.

The Hy6 with a Leaf or Mamiya back is your best path forward for your rollei love affair.

As for the Mamiya 6 I'd suggest looking into a Cambo Compact or Alpa TC.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

faneuil

just emailed you directly..

but will also ask the forum:
HOW ABOUT a hassie 500 body retrofitted to take mam mount digital backs.
would be VERY cool to occasional use my mam mount P1 back on a hassie 500 series body.

anybody want to build me a custom 500?
:)

Eric

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Also a dead-end path in my opinion. The PAL pin of the body would need to be removed/clipped (since there is no female receiver port on the M mount) and you'd need a 40+ or 65+ with the zero latency option to avoid having to manually wakeup the back before every shot. In addition to the obvious issue of getting them to fit physically together in focus-registration.

Of course 500 series (and 200 series) lenses can be used on a Mamiya body. Or you could trade your back for one with a V mount or buy an inexpensive V mount back like a DM22/DM28 or Pre-Owned Phase One back.

faneuil

late afternoon daydreams.. dashed!
but thanks for the info.
more realistic for me to put an old hassie lens on a p1 df body.

thanks,
Eric

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
STILL dreaming of getting my phase 1 DB on a vintage rolleiflex.
Anyone done this successfully?

On that same topic.. would love to get said digi back on a Mamiya 6!
any progress on that more realistic goal?

Eric
A 2.8F with a CZ lens was one of my all time favorite film cameras. I'm pretty certain, though, that you would find that the lens is not good enough to meet digital demands - actually by a fairly wide margin.

Geoff

Maybe so on the lens, but more critically, the manual rack for the focus adjustment might be more of a problem. Any slight mis-alignment and there it all goes.... Still, one dreams for the simplicity of the idea. Probably best found with a V Hassy and a DB, with its good form factor.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I have a similar dream (Rollei/digital). But while I have a Rollei, it's unlikely I would be able to afford the luxury of adding a MF back even if there was one available.

Of course, you could cheat (see below).

Best,
Tim