The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV: A Wolf is Sheep's clothing ?

fotografz

Meager megs compared to mighty 39, 54, and 60 meg machines. Made specifically for retro V cameras. How quaint.

Yet this thing keeps on making me scratch my head in wonderment.

I had intended on taking the D700 and a few ZF optics to Detroit's Woodward Dream Cruise ... then an Oak tree went down and took out our power lines on Friday afternoon ... before I had charged the D700 batteries. By default, the 203FE and CFV became the weapon of choice because the batteries were ready. In the dark, I accidently mistook the 50/2.8FE instead of the 40/4IF ... I also decided to take the 350/4FE.

Did a walk about at the Woodward Dream Cruise ... the largest car show/drive-by of it's kind in the world. 1.4 Million spectators in one day, 40,000 cars of all types from vintage Rolls, Bentley and Jags, to flame covered Hot Rods and Muscle Cars ... here from all points of the compass. Cars driving almost the entire length of Woodward Ave. infamous for drag racing in the 60s & 70s.

A few shots... (BTW, the "Caddy" shot is a massive crop and needs some touch-up yet ... the rest are pretty much straight out of the camera.) Enjoy ;)

Last edited:

fotografz

Here are few more, mostly with the close focusing 50/2.8FE, including some shots to add to my collection of "hood ornaments". I like the Rolls one since the reflections conspired to turn her face into a "Scull like Death's Head" ;)

Next year, we should organize a MFD group to shoot this together, and enjoy all the parties everywhere. It's like nothing I've ever seen before. It lasts for almost a week in build up to the actual one day weekend "Cruise. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
As usual, more great images Marc! I also like your idea of a "get together" for photographers, but we need a name for it...

David K

Workshop Member
Great stuff Marc, I really enjoy these kinds of photos. Not surprised at all that the CFV and 203 FE with the 50 2.8 are capable of this quality. Doubt you would have gotten anything quite as good with the D700.

fotografz

Thanks David, fun stuff. I used the Boda Dry Lens bag (small) to carry the 350/4FE which fits like a glove, and made it easy to tote that monster around for hours with no effect. I had the camera on a Gitzo Mono pod with the Hasselbald quick release, and it was secure as can be walking around with the thing on my shoulder like shouldering a rifle. And I agree, while I like the D700, it pales in comparison to what I get with this combo... the dynamic range of the MFD back really helps with all this flashy chrome and reflections ... and I didn't even think to bring a Polarizer. What a great entry level MFD set-up this ... so no brainer to use it isn't even funny.

Jack, seriously we should work together to set up a meet next summer. I will do anything to help. We can even meet at my "Party House" for an evening BBQ. All the Dream Cruise people are so friendly, and will talk your ear off about their cars. They love it when someone wants to take a photo. I think it could even be a great subject for a seminar for you and Guy. Let's keep it in mind.

More fun ... some tight crops of grills:

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
what a gas! nothing like the 50's and 60's automobiles for flash, eh? once again, Marc has convinced me to go out and get the CFV, he, he. last time it was some motorcycle shots.

great pics...wlf?

fotografz

what a gas! nothing like the 50's and 60's automobiles for flash, eh? once again, Marc has convinced me to go out and get the CFV, he, he. last time it was some motorcycle shots.

great pics...wlf?
Thanks John, you inspired me to get the CFV-II, after selling my original CFV (which I missed immediately) ... and then inspired me to get out and use it more frequently with more of your shipyard shots.

I was using the PM45 finder.

David K

Workshop Member
Marc, is there any noticeable improvement in the CFV II over the first version. That first version can be picked up at a very, very reasonable price.

fotografz

Marc, is there any noticeable improvement in the CFV II over the first version. That first version can be picked up at a very, very reasonable price.
Frankly, not much. The new sensor has the better anti-reflective coating that supposedly increases contrast a tad ... and a slightly larger, bit brighter LCD.

I think most of the other incremental improvements (like fixing the internal clock and Tilt-Sensor issue on a few CFVs) ... were done with firmware, which applies equally to the original CFV ... but I'm not 100% certain of that.

If this were just a whim, or budget was a consideration for an entry level MFD shooter (obviously not you : -) ... then I'd say the original one would do just fine.

My big wonder now is whether a 22 meg CF/22 back on my H2F using the CF adapter with Zeiss 500 series lenses will provide the same kind of results, only allow more use of wide angles like the 40/4IF? It's supposed to be the same sensor pixel pitch and all that.

It's just odd that the image signature of this combination yields such wonderful results so consistently from one user to another. My now sold Canon 1DsMKIII couldn't touch the CFV for IQ.

I guess low cost factor, and stuff like that, is irrelevant when you get what you want from a piece of gear ;)

RayM

Marc, really fun photographs. I love the subject and what you brought to it. Extremely well done!

I have a question for you about "the look" of these specific photos. I've looked at them several times today since you posted them and the best word that I can use to describe them is "film-like." They have that "smooth-sharp" look and I just think it's beautiful. That's how they occur for me. My question for you is whether this is due to the way this particular lens (your 50?) draws; whether it is the particular "mojo" of the digital back (I liked my 1Ds for a specific look that it had that my 1Ds2 does not have); or if it is a bit of both, maybe?? This smooth-sharp look is much of "the look" that I want for my photographs, this is what I've been seeking. I've gotten this look with some of my Leica M8 shots, and I want very much to duplicate it with MF. I think/hope (!) my Contax gives me this with my P30+ that is on it's way to me soon.

So, any thoughts on the role of lens and back on the look of these particular photographs? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks Marc, Ray

T

tetsrfun

Another CFV "grill shot" (very tight crop)

Steve

Last edited:

fotografz

Ray, you aren't the first one to comment on that specific "film like" attribute to the CFV even on a 503CW with CFE lenses ... and that is from folks who shoot film exclusively. I tend to agree ... I also shoot film and scan on an Imacon 949 ... and the CFV shots look and feel similar.

I've achieved excellent results with that "look" using the Zeiss 500 series lenses like the 40/4IF, 65/3.5 CFi 100/3.5CFi and 180/4CFi. However, the OOF areas of the faster 200 series lenses tend to nicer especially stopped down 1 stop, so the in-focus subject really has snap and depth because of that.

As far as the contribution that the back makes, I suspect it's the larger 9X9 Micron pixels ... which is why I wonder if the results would be the same with a 22 meg. CF back on an H2F using Zeiss optics. If I can find a 22 CF Back I may get it and find out.

RayM

Thanks Marc, I was afraid you were going to say that some of the magic is the 9 micron pixels (like I mentioned my earlier note, my 6.8 micron P30+ for my Contax will be on its way soon)! Seriously, if you can get ahold of a friend's 22MP back and try it on you 203FE, I'd love to see the results, and of course, if you can find some time to then try the same shots with a 31MP or 39 MP back, I think that would be a worthwhile real-life test, too.

It's interesting how these particular photos have almost a rich and "luxurious" texture/feel to them, there's nothing common about them. My best guess is that it is the particular drawing/signature of these lenses combined with those pixels in the back that's creating this kind of magic. Really outstanding.

I think I'm going to figure out the wording for a question on that gets at this exact topic.

Thanks again, Marc, Ray

bensonga

Next year, we should organize a MFD group to shoot this together, and enjoy all the parties everywhere. It's like nothing I've ever seen before. It lasts for almost a week in build up to the actual one day weekend "Cruise. :thumbup:
Great photos Marc!

Count me in....whether cars or motorcyles, I'm up for it! :thumbs:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
503CWD-II

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Brilliant shots , Marc.

Thank you very much for sharing . I am surprised about the wonderful colors .
How much USM did you use and do you do USM already in PHOCUS ? ? ?

Jürgen

KeithL

I'll start by saying that the qualities of rendition of these images - whether that is due to the pixel size or lenses used or a combination of both - is perfectly suited to the subject matter.

The results do have the saturated look of slow transparency film but taking that as a given I can't help feeling that there the comparison falters. These images appear to me to have a very distinct quality and appear far smoother than any scanned film I've experienced including Velvia scanned by various Imacon and drum scanners.

Let's be clear, if I were shooting these or similar subjects I'd choose MFD over film every time, but I wouldn't be looking to achieve a "film like quality".