The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV: A Wolf is Sheep's clothing ?

fotografz

Keith, I actually agree ... "film like" isn't the same as "like film." That may sound like an exercise in semantics, but simply indicates a matter of degree of how close a digital solution comes to providing a certain film like quality. Some digital solutions do it more than others ... but IMO none actually do it, or probably ever will.

For that very reason, I have a fridge filled with 120 and 220 film, secured an Imacon 949 scanner some time ago, and recently added a H2F 645 body with 2 film backs to the gear vault. ;)

fotografz

Brilliant shots , Marc.

Thank you very much for sharing . I am surprised about the wonderful colors .
How much USM did you use and do you do USM already in PHOCUS ? ? ?

Jürgen
Hi Jurgen,

I use the default USM in Phocus} Amount: 100, Radius: 1.0, Threshold: 0, Dark Limit: 26. When I size for web I just use Sharpen in Photoshop, and then reduce that with the Fade slider about 50%.

The colors are partly due to the brillantly clear light on that day, and that all the cars are painted and polished to a fine degree. Sometimes that high reflectivity doesn't work in your favor ... like this:

Last edited:

PeterA

Film 'quality' is an interesting topic in itself. I am just trying out some software that does a pretty neat job of reproducing the tonal curves of various 'b&W film' types - checking out these default curves sees interesting shoulder patterns as well as combinations of filters in default mode from where one can change /add/ do all sorts of stuff - sure not film at all - but on the internet - doubt that many would see the difference actually - the grain patterns are also reproduced for each type.

Still I have a couple of bricks of TRX in 35mm and 120 always in my freezer - just love it. As for colour / slide well I'd rather shoot digital MFD any day - another bonus is that I dont have to worry about archiving digi files - so I try and shoot a roll whenever an important or fun family/friends occasion is happening.

thats what rally freaks me out about digi - doesnt feel as safe as the emulsion cut into strips and placed in ring binders jand stored in bokshelf - yeah I know not 'logical'.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi Jurgen,

I use the default USM in Phocus} Amount: 100, Radius: 1.0, Threshold: 0, Dark Limit: 26. When I size for web I just use Sharpen in Photoshop, and then reduce that with the Fade slider about 50%.

The colors are partly due to the brillantly clear light on that day, and that all the cars are painted and polished to a fine degree. Sometimes that high reflectivity doesn't work in your favor ... like this:
Thanks Marc

I have looked up PHOCUS and find the basic setting for USM in the adjust section
100% + RADIUS 1,0 + THRESHOLD 0 + DARK LIMIT 10 .

I must confess , I do not really know , what that dark limit stands for .
Your value is 26 , I find 10 as preset . What does that mean ? ? ?
In the user manual it reads rather short:
The higher the number, the less extensive the sharpening effect will be .
Depending on the image , a setting between 0 and 20 is recommended .
I assume your value of 26 is a value of your experience .

Jürgen

fotografz

Thanks Marc

I have looked up PHOCUS and find the basic setting for USM in the adjust section
100% + RADIUS 1,0 + THRESHOLD 0 + DARK LIMIT 10 .

I must confess , I do not really know , what that dark limit stands for .
Your value is 26 , I find 10 as preset . What does that mean ? ? ?
In the user manual it reads rather short:
The higher the number, the less extensive the sharpening effect will be .
Depending on the image , a setting between 0 and 20 is recommended .
I assume your value of 26 is a value of your experience .

Jürgen
Odd, I don't recall ever setting any of those sharpening numbers and assumed they were defaults :wtf:

However it got there, (and I'm sure I must have set it and forgot I did), I tend to shoot at higher ISOs and a higher dark-limit evidently helps keep the noise from being accented in low light shots. Whatever, it seems to work for me.

David K

Workshop Member
I am just trying out some software that does a pretty neat job of reproducing the tonal curves of various 'b&W film' types - checking out these default curves sees interesting shoulder patterns as well as combinations of filters in default mode from where one can change /add/ do all sorts of stuff - sure not film at all - but on the internet - doubt that many would see the difference actually - the grain patterns are also reproduced for each type.
Peter,
If you haven't tried the Alien Skin Exposure plug-in for Photoshop you really should demo it. From your description I suspect this may already be the case.