The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 120mm Macro A/D and Image Circle size

greygrad

Does anyone happen to know the size of the image circle (IC) of the Schneider 120mm Macro Apo-Digitar when used at infinity (say, at f11)? From the specs on the web it appears that the IC size progressively decreases:

At 4:1 [4x Life Size] - 110mm @ f5.6
At 2:1 [2x Life Size] - 110mm @ f5.6
At 1:1 [Life Size] - 110mm @ f5.6
At 1:2 [1/2 Life Size] - 90mm @ f11
At 1:4 [1/4 Life Size] - 80mm @ f11

Cheers,

Angus

Thierry

Hi Angus,

This is logical. The IC increases with the reproduction scale, respectively with the distance lens to image plane. Since it needs e.g. twice the length with a scale of 1:1 (distance lens to image plane = 2 x focal length) as for a scale a infinity (distance lens to image plane = focal length), the resulting projected image circle of the used lens increases in proportion.

It doesn't really make sense to use this lens at infinity, since it's not its range of best reproduction quality. It is built and corrected for a range between 1:4 to 4:1.
However, my guess is that at infinity the IC is around 70 mm.

Thierry

Does anyone happen to know the size of the image circle (IC) of the Schneider 120mm Macro Apo-Digitar when used at infinity (say, at f11)? From the specs on the web it appears that the IC size progressively decreases:

At 4:1 [4x Life Size] - 110mm @ f5.6
At 2:1 [2x Life Size] - 110mm @ f5.6
At 1:1 [Life Size] - 110mm @ f5.6
At 1:2 [1/2 Life Size] - 90mm @ f11
At 1:4 [1/4 Life Size] - 80mm @ f11

Cheers,

Angus

greygrad

Thanks Thierry. Rather than double-up with the normal 120, I thought I could use the macro version on the odd occasion that I needed a longer focal length in that range. From another thread I believe that the macro 120 performs better at infinity than the normal 120 does for close-up work. That said, 70mm doesn't leave a whole lot of room for shifting...but probably enough for my needs.

gazwas

I was in the same boat as you a few months back and asked my dealer the same question and was recommended the normal version unless I needed <4:1 reproduction more often than infinity. The 120N is a very sharp lens with IMO a bigger than spec IC, however when used close up (as an estimate <100cm subject distance) its not as sharp and the macro would probably perform better.

There are no specs on the lens performance at infinity as its not designed to be used that way and Thierry estimation is probably correct around the 70mm mark. One point of note is I think the macro is designed to be used at optimum f stop of f8 (f5.6 above lifesize I think) where as the 120N can go down to f11. Not so much a problem on a bellows camera but could be an issue on a pancake type.

gazwas

The normal 120N as I wanted the larger IC for movements and most of my "lifestyle" product type work is above 1:4 size.