The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stitching multiple 40MP files - computer 'grunt' required

Ed Hurst

Right! I can report back on some results...

I have now got CS5 installed on my Mac Pro. I have 16GB of RAM, of which approx. 14GB is allocated to Photoshop (which represents 90% of the total RAM - probably not the best % from an efficiency point of view, but I didn't want it to max out the RAM). The machine itself has 2.93 GHz Intel Xeon processors (8 core).

I set CS5 the task of stitching 23 files simultaneously, each from the 645D. It took 20 minutes to do the automatic aligning stage. It then took almost exactly an hour to do the auto blending of the files. Then a further 10 minutes to actually render this blended (and still layered) file on the screen.

The other thing I can report is that blending all the files at once does indeed deliver a much better result (in terms of perspective / distortion) than blending the individual files in batches, then joining those blended files together (which was something I did as a workaround when I had access to less RAM).

Altogether a successful and interesting exercise.

This is 'hot off the press', so all I can show you is a file that is as yet not fully tidied up. But, just to show the initial result, see attached file.

I plan to get 32GB of RAM, so will repeat the exercise then.

Ed

Ed Hurst

Thanks! Now that I have the computing power to do this sort of stitching, I think I will go back to the individual files here and pull more detail out of the dark area on the bottom right... The redo the whole thing!

BTW, I have just obtained 32GB of RAM, so I will report back on the difference this makes to the performance of the stitching job.