The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P25+ battery, when not in use

Frits

I have a Phase One H101 P25+ back for my Hasselblad H1. I understand that its battery life is nowhere near my Nikons and that is fine. I have googled a good bit for best practices, but I would like to clear up a few questions once and for all about battery drainage when not in use:

1: Should I remove the battery from the back when storing it?

2: If I would remove the battery, would the back lose my settings after a while (this would be a big concern)?

3: I store the camera with the back connected, ready to pick up and shoot.
Is it better to store the back separately? Would battery drainage be the same?

NB: as much as battery drainage of the back when not in use is a reality, there does not seem to be any electrical interaction with the body as the grip's battery shows no drainage at all when stored.

Udo

Frits,

I have been using P20 and P30+ on Hasselblad H1 and H2 bodies for a couple of years and did the following observations according to your questions:

1: Should I remove the battery from the back when storing it?
YES! There is always some quiescent current flowing.

2: If I would remove the battery, would the back lose my settings after a while (this would be a big concern)?
Yes, after approximately 4 weeks without battery.

3: I store the camera with the back connected, ready to pick up and shoot.
Is it better to store the back separately? Would battery drainage be the same?

Good question, which I cannot properly answer, but after doing a couple of testings over time I came to the conclusion to remove the camera's grip battery and the back's battery as well when the camera shouldn't be used within the next 24 hours after its last operation. As for a long battery life I only recharged almost completely drained batteries (very few exceptions here). Removing the back has never been a point for me due to fiddling and dust collection.

NB: as much as battery drainage of the back when not in use is a reality, there does not seem to be any electrical interaction with the body as the grip's battery shows no drainage at all when stored.
My experience was a bit different. When I stored those combos for a week or so with all batteries attached those were discharged after that time. This happened on my H1 (later upgraded to H2) and H2 bodies. The back battery has been discharged much faster when the camera's battery has been attached as well. This speaks very much for some kind of interaction between camera and back.

To be honest, I never found this (removing batteries before storing/packing and attaching them again before next use) to be an issue.

Good luck.

regards, Udo