The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which best lenses for 645D ?

G

gimlor

First of all; great forum, lots of info and people helping each other !

I am planning to get the Pentax 645D and since i am new to MF and seen there are quite some lenses available i wonder which ones are the best for the 645D ?

Thanks in advance for any info about which lenses perform best on the 645D so i can save a budget for those. I hope there is at least a good normal zoom like the one i use most with Nikon (24-70 f2.8). But please feel free to list the best lenses in any range.

D&A

Hi Gimlor,

Welcome to Getdpi. I'm sure many will chime in with their own preferences but I'll mention mine...but I'll have be brief at the moment since I am not at a regular computer. The 35mm f3.5 (both the MF and AF version), the FA AF 45-85 zoom, the 120 f4 macro ( both MF and AF versions), and FA AF 300 f4 are some of the finest performing ones, although there are some other good ones, not to be ignored. Remember to multiply the focal length by .8, to get the equivilant focal length in 35mm terms when mounted on the 645D body. So for example, the 35mm lens is a 28mm in 35mm terms. It's also important with some to look for a good sample (variations do exist in some), and also adjust AF fine tune in the 645D body, to extract the best performance. I hope to post a comprehensive review on many of these lenses in the near future.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

benroy

Subscriber Member
Gimlor: I was in the same boat you're in a week or two ago. I bought the lenses before I bought the 645D (had to sell off a bunch of stuff to fill the bill). I found some great bargains on eBay. Manual focus lenses (A lenses) can be found for $325 or less. I shoot nature stuff, peeling paint, rust, etc. I am no longer in the business, so I don't have to be fussy with corners and edges...I'm shooting for the fun of it, and have had a lot of fun with the following, all of which I have found to be nice and sharp (really fine 13x19s):

45/2.8, 55/2.8, 75/2.8, 120/4 (in a class by itself...a great lens), 80-160 zoom, and a 200/4.

I have not tried the AF (FA labeled) lenses, but be prepared to pay at least double the
cost of the A lenses. Hope this helps...I haven't found a 645 lens yet that I haven't liked...hope you have the same reaction.

Roy Benson

G

gimlor

Dave / Roy,

Thank you for the advise. That new 25mm is also interesting despite the pricetag on it. Not sure if it justifies the difference compared to the 35mm f3.5. Need to see if i can test it somewhere.

Thanks again,

Gimlor

D&A

Dave / Roy,

Thank you for the advise. That new 25mm is also interesting despite the pricetag on it. Not sure if it justifies the difference compared to the 35mm f3.5. Need to see if i can test it somewhere.

Thanks again,

Gimlor
Hi Gimlor,

The reason I didn't mention the new 25mm lens (which would give a 35m equivalent view of approx. 20mm), is that it is very new and not available in many places yet. Early reports say the lens is very good but with considerable CA. Quite different that the 35mm...which has considerable field curvature but is sharp.

Dave (D&A)