The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FP shutter stays open on 645DF

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

This morning I turned on my 645DF and IQ 180. The camera said "no DB", so I checked that the DB was on properly and that the battery was good. No help, so I took the back right off and noticed the FP shutter was open - as it should be when you remove the back - but it won't close again when I put the back on again.

I did all the obvious things - took off the lens and the back and removed all batteries. Then I reassembled with fresh batteries in both camera and back but to no avail. The FP shutter does not close as it should when the back is fitted.

I cleaned the contacts on the camera and the back. No help either.

Anyone have any hints? The camera firmware is right up to date and the back is brand new.

Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

UPDATE.
Just on the off-chance it might help, I attached the V-Grip with a fresh "back" battery - and lo and behold everything worked!

I'm guessing that despite the camera showing it's NiMH batteries were "good", they were not good enough. If it happens again I'll put new Alkalines in to see if that helps, before trying the V Grip solution again.

Drew at Phase One advised this is likely a power issue. What the camera shows is not always what the back sees. He recommends removing the back's battery for 10 minutes as a possible solution, to allow time for electronics to reset.

I must say how impressed I am to get such quick reactions from Drew and my dealer, Walter Borchenko. Very professional, Phase!

Bill

Tim Ernst

That brings up a good question - seems like a lot of these cameras are having the same issue with the IQs. When you do a firmware restore, it defaults back to the original firmware that came with the back, correct? So then you would have to also update to the current firmware. Wouldn't it be easier just to reinstall the latest firmware to begin with? Or is there some issue with doing it this way?

Kai Birkigt

It's not about the IQ 180, I had the problem often with the DF and the P65+ already (albeit not before the DF; with the AF it did not occur...)

It always helped to switch off the cam and to detach and reattach the lens.

The whole battery and power system sucks!

Kai

etrump

I have similar problems Bill. I'm not sure exactly what combination of things causes it to flip back down. I had the same issue with the P65+ as the IQ180 so I don't think it is the back.

cunim

Same issue here, though it does not seem to happen as often as it did when IQ180/DF were brand new. That was most every day. Reinstalling the IQ firmware would solve it until the next time.

Am running previous DF firmware (1.19?) and was told that 1.23 would take care of it. Given that I have to take the camera in for the update, I don't know if that is the case.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've managed to replicate the problem by putting in NiMH batteries that were not 100% charged. As soon as I put in Alkalines, the shutter closes as it should.

I've been using Eneloops with the P65 but I think the increased communication between the IQ back and the camera demands a higher voltage. I am not able to get the problem with Alkalines - even after a 250 shot day.

FWIW, I may stop using the rechargeable batteries....or at least have a set on hand.

Bill

Tim Ernst

Hey Bill, I tried four new sets of alkalines and lithiums and none of them helped. The only thing that worked for me was to re-install firmware 1.33, then I put my old batteries in and it all worked fine - seems to be a firmware issue somehow.

I'm still wondering if there is any advantage to using the "restore firmware" setting and then having to do the extra step of updating to the current firmware version, or if it is fine to just reinstall the current version since you have to do that anyway - saves a step (that is what I did and have not had any more issues). Anyone have a thought on this?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm no genius in this area, Tim, but I suspect you should restore first, then re-install, to make sure you get rid of any conflicts caused by the firmware. Just my guess....

(Bit like installing a new version of C1 - you want to get rid of all the old stuff first!)

Oh, and don't forget to try the trick of removing the camera battery for ten minutes, too.

Tim Ernst

Yup, that is why I was asking to see if anyone knew if there might be an issue doing it the short way. I had the camera battery out for a couple of days - in fact had the camera all packed up and ready to ship off for repair - and then I dug up an old thread here that noted the firmware issue. So I tried it and it worked just great. I suspect there are different things going on and it isn't just one issue for everyone...

vjbelle

I've managed to replicate the problem by putting in NiMH batteries that were not 100% charged. As soon as I put in Alkalines, the shutter closes as it should.

I've been using Eneloops with the P65 but I think the increased communication between the IQ back and the camera demands a higher voltage. I am not able to get the problem with Alkalines - even after a 250 shot day.

FWIW, I may stop using the rechargeable batteries....or at least have a set on hand.

Bill
I have always used NIMH batteries with no issues - Enloop and higher current. I did have the same issue you are experiencing (NO DB) and resolved it with a firmware restore in the IQ180. FWIW I have left my DF on for over 10 days (sleeps after 60 seconds) and my batteries have remained fresh. I have heard of lots of issues regarding battery drainage even with the power turned off. I don't seem to be experiencing any of this.

Victor