The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Searching for good "old" lenses for digital back (Mamyia/Hasselblad)

M

MamyiaUser

Hi all. I am shooting with a P30+ on a PhaseOne 645AF camera and an 80mm 2.8AF Lens from PhaseOne. I also own the PhaseOne 645 AF - HB mount.

I am happy with my 80mm but I would like to buy some other lenses, I am looking for a wide angle lens (something like a 55 or 45mm) and maybe for a couple of good zoom lenses (a 55/100 and a 100/200).

I tried the 55 2.8 AF from Mamyia but I didn’t like it a lot, maybe it was a faulty one.

Do you have any suggestion? My budget is about 4000$. I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks!

M

MamyiaUser

PS: Can you please tell me what Hasselblad lenses can I use with the adapter I have? Should I consider a “crop” factor or the lens will work like a Mamyia AF lens on my system?

Another question: can I use all Mamyia (AF and MF) lenses on my camera without restrictions?

M

MamyiaUser

Thanks a lot for the fast and clear answer! I will read and let you know if more infos are needed.

Anders_HK

Do you have any suggestion? My budget is about 4000$.
Hi, Having sold off all my Mamiya except two lenses...

Mamiya 45mm D - http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=344500

Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 -http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28707

There is a reason I held on to these to the very last... The 45mm D lense is spectacular sharp, the 80/1.9 is the Noctilux of medium format with a very shallow DOF... both are low weight and easy to hand hold.

I used them on AFDIII w/Aptus 65 44x33mm 28MP sensor, thus same size and about same pixels as yours, and prior had 28mm D, 300APO, 55-110mm, 105-210mm, 24mm Fish, 35mm.

80/1.9 is manual focus only and stepped down metering. This is not an issue since there is no need to step down within apterture range of 1.9 to say ~5.6. Rough focus is by focus ring and then by moving camera back and fourth until focus is in middle of focus travel on indicator light.

Waiting for these to find a good home :thumbs:

Best regards,
Anders

Last edited:
M

MamyiaUser

You might want to read this thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15710

You can also use any of the Hassy V or F/FE lenses on the Mamiya via a mount adapter. The winning three are the 50, 110 and 150 F/FE versions as they are optically faster than the V lenses and render "artfully" soft wide open.
Thanks again Jack. I am not new to medium format (I own the kit since 2008) but I always used my 80 2.8 and other PhaseOne lenses only (not mine) and I really don't know anything about other systems. If I understood correctly you are suggesting me to buy the Hasselblad FE lenses? Can you please give me some price range for each lens? For example: I found a 50 FE for 1300$, is this a good price or not?

dick

I found that the Hasselblad V 50mm was never wide enough (on 6 * 6) on my 1970s system, so, when I bought another V system I got the 40mm, which I can use, with adapter on the H4D.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would not be buying used Hassy V lenses if you are looking to actually buy glass. The adapter is nice but really only if you had these lenses on hand. Reason is you have to use them in stop down mode and they are all manual focus. Since you are buying fresh really not the way to go. The V lenses are nice but honestly not all of them are that good in digital. With the P30+ you might want to look at more the latest AF glass from Mamiya with the crop factor on that sensor you eliminate a lot of corner issues. I had the P30+ and P40+ so I came from those sensors and some of the older AF lenses you just need to find good copies of them especially the 35,45 and 55. I would be looking at the later 45 and 55 lenses with the manual clutch on them . Here is a link with images to get a good idea what to look for there.
These are excellent lenses. I would seriously buy less and buy better glass than screwing around with the really old stuff. That P30+ loves these lenses

http://www.captureintegration.com/store/lenses/

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You can find almost all of these lenses used as well. Actually saw the 75-150 this morning in the B&S area which is a very nice lens

kdphotography

....With the P30+ you might want to look at more the latest AF glass from Mamiya with the crop factor on that sensor you eliminate a lot of corner issues. ....
+1

This is a great MFDB, and the sensor is not as demanding on lenses as the recent generation of MFDBs. With the slight crop of the P30+, you have a lot more lens choices available to you. You really can't go wrong with the new D series lenses or Schneider LS lenses (if you upgrade your AF to a DF body).

ken

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If I understood correctly you are suggesting me to buy the Hasselblad FE lenses? Can you please give me some price range for each lens? For example: I found a 50 FE for 1300$, is this a good price or not?
Only suggesting them IF you are looking for a dreamy soft wide-open effect. If you want crisp and sharp at more normal apertures, then choose as appropriate from the list of Mamiya glass.
Prices range on the F lenses from as low as $500 to around $1200, depending on focal, exact model and condition. FE lenses go for about 30% to 50% more depending on exact model and condition.

djonesii

Workshop Member
I have a 4 lens kit for my p30+ on an AFD-II

30mm Arsat MF Russian fish eye .... It was BGN at KEH, and I just could not resist!

Mamiya 45 AF .... (non-D ) My current go to lens

Mamiya 80mm 2.8, standard kit lens .... A bit of an odd-ball length with the crop factor ...

Mamiya 150mm f3.5 non D ....

All really cheap on the used market if you are diligent.

With the exception of the Arsat, all are really good on the AFD-II, beyond a point, I'm of the mind that I am the limiting factor in the type of studio work that I shoot. Just got my tethering set up to work, much easier to see what I am doing.

I'm lusting after a 28mm D, but it's a big hunk of change.

The next one I get will most likely be a 120 macro. I know the Hassy Glass has a different signature, but I'm getting what I want from Mamiya and C1.

YMMV.

Dave