The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ND filter and stepuprings

danlindberg

Here goes...

I want to be able to use ND filters for my SK35XL and SK 72L.

I use the centrefilter on the 35XL and that outer filtersize I believe is 72mm (I think). Now, can I use 72mm ND filter straight on that centrefilter with lensmovements or is it wise to go up further in size, say, a stepupring and 77mm filter?

The 35XL is a 52mm without the centrefilter. How about putting on a 52mm ND and then ontop the centrefilter? Bad idea?

Finally, does anyone now of stepuprings that goes all the way from 40.5mm (72L) up to large filtersizes like 72mm or 77mm?

LonnaTucker

Here goes...

I want to be able to use ND filters for my SK35XL and SK 72L.

I use the centrefilter on the 35XL and that outer filtersize I believe is 72mm (I think). Now, can I use 72mm ND filter straight on that centrefilter with lensmovements or is it wise to go up further in size, say, a stepupring and 77mm filter?

The 35XL is a 52mm without the centrefilter. How about putting on a 52mm ND and then ontop the centrefilter? Bad idea?

Finally, does anyone now of stepuprings that goes all the way from 40.5mm (72L) up to large filtersizes like 72mm or 77mm?
I have the SK 35mm XL and regularly use it with the SK center filter and a 77mm or 95mm polarizer depending on the DB I'm using. I thread the 77mm polarizer directly into the center filter and use a 77-95 step ring for the big polarizer. I'd recommend a larger filter series depending on the back you use. 82mm is an option too.

I also have a 40.5-67mm step ring I used with a 135mm Apo Sironar S large format lens. Another 67-77mm step ring was needed for my polarizer. Heliopan made them - brass ring with black anodizing - very nice quality.

At the recent PDN Outdoor Photography Expo I saw a great new series of filters from Schneider, including a variable neutral density filter and I believe the largest size they make is 82mm.

LonnaTucker

Lance, I did see that one, but that's not the new Variable ND screw-in filter that I saw. I just looked at the Schneider site and can't locate it. (Wow, lots of filters!!) The price was around $300-$350 for 77mm and was usable over a 10 stop range. Niki Mustain was the Schneider rep.

I have a Schneider graduated neutral density filter I bought years ago at Glazers while on a shoot in Seattle. I bought it for large format and it's held up really well over the years - I love these. Now they come in a kit package with a Lee filter holder designed especially for the extra thick grad glass. I said goodbye to an expensive Hi-Tech filter kit after using the Schneider over a few projects.

cs750

I am traveling on memory but I believe the Heliopan 42.5 mm step up ring is considerably more expensive than the B + W step up ring. I think I paid $22-23 for the B+W and have been satisfied with the quality. I had a Singh-Ray 77 mm Vari-n-Duo left over from my 35 mm days and I have been using it with step up rings as needed for each lens. So far it has worked very well for using Live View with the Phase IQ. The live view has been quite helpful out doors in deciding composition. On cloudy mornings and in wooded areas I have found by stopping down to f/22-f/32 I have not needed to use a neutral density filter at all for making live view composition decisions. I don't know what the price of the Singh-Ray 77 mm Vari-n-Duo is now or what I paid years ago...but those looking into these issues may want to shop these products as well. Charles

Last edited:

rga

I too use a polarizing filter in front of my 35APO.

Something I've always heard is that it's best to have your polarizing filter as the very front filter. So what I've developed over the years is a small collection of filters that fit in a Lee filter holder. The holder has two slots for 6X6 filters and a 110mm (I believe) SK linear polar filter in the front. I've used this system over the last 10 years; whenever you get a new lens size, you only have to buy a Lee ring to hold the filter holder on. No need to buy a new set of filters for each lens size...

Works with the widest of wides. Also allows the use of split (hard or graduated) ND filters which you can't do easily with direct mount filters. I use those all the time with landscapes.

Finally, as I understand it, the new variable ND filters are 2 pieces of glass (something like two polarizing filters). Use with a polarizing filter (2 more pieces) and a center filter, and you've got a lot of glass in front of that expensive piece of optics you bled for it's "clarity."

Just my experience,
Bob

Lars

Center filters are designed to sit at a certain distance from the lens to properly correct for fall-off, but perhaps a single thin filter between the lens and CF isnt so bad. Try test shots of a solid white wall (or is it midtone? hehe).

I have a 40.5-52 stepup. then 52-58/62/67, then stepups from those sizes to 77. quite a pyramid but no real problem. B+W rings are brass, nice but heavy. I never had an aluminum stepring that got completely stuck, unlike filters you usually get a good grip when removing a stepring. But brass is better.

re stacking filters, it's worth repeating that multicoating is your friend. Lee system is great but make sure you block stray light and keep the number of uncoated filters low.