The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AFD, Manual Lenses, and Aperture/Diaphragm Function

dmeckert

HALP!!!

so...i have an interested party for my AFD.

but he wants to know about auto aperture function on the AFD with old manual lenses.

i know you have to do stop-down metering with manual lenses, but his question is more along the lines of the "does the aperture stay wide open until the moment of exposure?" sort of auto aperture.

the internets hasn't been terribly helpful, except to inform me that the 120/4 macro has this feature on the AFDII and newer.

if you guys have any input, i'd appreciate it.

thanks,
david :)

Oren Grad

MAC says no:

Q. What accessories and lenses from my manual focus 645 system may I use with the 645AF, AFD or AFDII?

A. You can only use the lenses. However, they will not stop down automatically. When using the manual focus lenses on the AF cameras, do the following. . .1) Set "A/M" switch on lens to "M". 2) Rotate the f/stop ring to the maximum aperture for composition and focusing - focus confirmation in viewfinder will work. 3) Set desired aperture and release shutter. Stop-down metering in aperture priority mode is also possible.

http://www.mamiya-usa.com/customer-service-faq-645afafdafd-ii.html