The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Practicality of Hand Held Tech Cam Shooting

rga

RS handle conversion is $949 from us:
http://www.captureintegration.com/store/color/

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)
Now that's just being downright cruel...
:poke:

jlm

Workshop Member
guy:
squeeze some clay and send it; maybe I can make you a very custom set of grips :)

pophoto

Hey Guys, I enjoyed reading this thread and found the topic and pictures very inspiring!

I know you guys are long time photogs and users of tech cams, but what about the practicality for someone new, say coming from DLR and wanting to shoot a little bit more that good lighting, say shooting your kids running indoors sometime as well?

What's the worst conditions you could possibly live with shooting handheld and still have a grin at the end of the day?

JonMo

In general, my family thinks I'm nuts.
I own a 5d mark ii and a 1 ds mark Iii
But insist on the mentioned chasing the kids around with either the Cambo rs or ds
Why? They ask!
Because it's more fun, I reply.
Really it makes little difference to me, I enjoy the challenge of capturing images on a full manual camera where " frames per second" shooting is more dependent on my ability to cock the shutter than the available capture rate of the back. :)
Ofcourse I have been informed it is a sign of mental instability.
You can try similar yourself, set your camera on manual, lens to mf, try to capture moving objects, like children, without looking through the view finder and with focus confirm beep off.
If you can enjoy that, then you are ready to use a tech cam for everything.
At least in my biased and unbalanced opinion.

pophoto

Haha, very true, but you know what, my biggest problem is convincing my wife. If I come home with a digital back, she only really expects that I can take pictures of my little boy running around, and if I cannot do that.... then FAIL! Meaning returning the digital back, can you even do that? (Return the digital back that is :p)

etrump

I have shot both the p65 and iq180 handheld, mostly hanging out of a helicopter or airplane window.

I find I get excellent results and do best without a shutter release cable. The throw and pressure required is almost nothing pressing directly on he clopal shutter release.

There is much less problems with ghosting at slower shutter speeds than with the 645 because you don't have that huge mirror slap.

Just make sure you know your focus distances for each lens. For my type of photography, I'm almost always at infinity or at least at the hyperfocal distance on my glass.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In general, my family thinks I'm nuts.
I own a 5d mark ii and a 1 ds mark Iii
But insist on the mentioned chasing the kids around with either the Cambo rs or ds
Why? They ask!
Because it's more fun, I reply.
Really it makes little difference to me, I enjoy the challenge of capturing images on a full manual camera where " frames per second" shooting is more dependent on my ability to cock the shutter than the available capture rate of the back. :)
Ofcourse I have been informed it is a sign of mental instability.
You can try similar yourself, set your camera on manual, lens to mf, try to capture moving objects, like children, without looking through the view finder and with focus confirm beep off.
If you can enjoy that, then you are ready to use a tech cam for everything.
At least in my biased and unbalanced opinion.
That almost explains why I enjoy the challenge of shooting with my Alpa. Sometimes the journey is more interesting and enjoyable than the destination! Apologies for the metaphor. :)