The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay I'm in the tech cam world.

Professional

@ Professional
Then your gear will cost you the double prize .
I can see the STC + Lens + IQ180 for you in a very far distance only .:ROTFL:

@ Guy
Congrats to you and welcome to Tech.Cam.User.Club . I wish you lots of stunning images .
I will, i will get the Tech cam first and lens, later will see the DB.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Well I jumped in the water. A good friend of mine and the forums offered me his Cambo WRS, 35XL and Mamiya Plate to me today that I just could not refuse as much as I was holding off. Right now its a good jump in to actually own one instead of always using a demo and such. I tried all three of the big boys and i like them all very much. Alpa , Arca have some wonderful kits and they truly are a work of art and i hated to not get any one of those. I like the Cambo a lot and it is a good cam and gets me in the door and I can grow the system or work towards a different system. Its the glass I am after folks. Having the 60 mpx sensor now am just feeling like a pig and soaking everything I can get off that back and i feel a little bad here as we have some great reps from Alpa and Arca that work hard on this forum to help people and I certainly do not want to slight them in anyway or the products they represent.

As one of the owners here I am very careful on what I do , say and buy as I hold myself up to a very high standard of being not bias as much as I possible can. All these systems are great and wish i could own them all because they all bring something great to the industry. I felt I need to say something here as one of the owners here Jack and I make gear choices more out of need than anything else and we never want to slight anyone or anyones products. We both know folks look at what we buy and do follow us to some extent on our purchases, lets face it we are instructors and teach photography and we are here daily helping people on their needs, so I think that is pretty normal to see what we are shooting.

I'm in the club. Your all in deep do do now. LOL
Great move! You're going to love the 35XL

kuau

Workshop Member
Guy,
Great move. I still remember hanging off horseshoe bend using the cambo with your help
I'm sure you will get great images especially with the 35xl lens.

Steven

JonMo

Thank goodness for another Cambo user, I was starting to think DPI was becoming all "Alpa-Arca" all the time! There is even an "Alpa only" image thread.:)
I know you will enjoy the tech cam, even if a single lens costs more than your DF and 80mm lens combined.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL

The package just arrived , time for its grand opening. LOL

And yes we need some balance here. ROTFLMAO

jonoslack

I'm in the club. Your all in deep do do now. LOL
Congratulations Guy - I hope you'll be very happy together . . . I'm just off to Greece with my M9 and a few M lenses . . . small but perfectly formed.

not in the do do yet (my, how long have I resisted :ROTFL::ROTFL:)

Don Libby

I've been using the WRS since late 2008 which makes it 3 years this October. It's more like triple that in camera years. The way I figure it is if it doesn't work for me get rid of it and try something else. If it doesn't make me money, get rid of it and try something else. In my case the WRS has worked for me and continues to today as well as makes me money. The only thing(s) I had a problem with was getting a too wide a lens that wouldn't allow for shifting and my ill attempt to use a groundglass.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The package just arrived , time for its grand opening. LOL
OK, we are waiting for some extreme testing - some of your famous "ugly tests". Should be perfect conditions now, noon Arizona sun! Shift that puppy and let's see some corners and color cast. :) Have fun!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank goodness for another Cambo user, I was starting to think DPI was becoming all "Alpa-Arca" all the time! .........
Yes , dead right !
But then on the other hand , there are not only PHASE ONE and LEAF backs on the market :lecture:
Other mothers also have nice daughters . Don't forget .

Thierry

Hopefully not!

As Bryan (siebel) says it so well:

"In the end, it's all about the pictures"

and only this.

So show your best images for inspiration, whatever the brands used are.

Thierry

... I was starting to think DPI was becoming all "Alpa-Arca" all the time! There is even an "Alpa only" image thread.:)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thierry

Although I say "dead right" and you say "hopefully not" , we mean the same
thing .:thumbup:

Guy Mancuso

Well got it all setup and first thing I did was take the lens bars off. Wow that just made it a P&S right there. Its like a TC only slightly bigger and yes i can shoot it handheld. LOL

Okay Phase here is my bitch of the day the wake cable does it have to be as big as a freaking snake. I had to double it up and duct tape it to the inside of my grip. Cannot we not make one smaller too for field tech cam users. This is stupid, sorry. I want one at about six to eight inches long with the wake up button right at the back side of the DIN connector. Has not ANYONE bitched about this. :wtf:

COME ON MAN!!!!!!

Actually I sent Paramount Cords a e-mail already to see if they can custom make something.

On to something really sweet focus mask is just deadly with a tech cam , guess adjust and your home. i would go out and shoot but its a 114 degrees out there. No way Jose'. I'm crazy but I know my limits, I'll take 20 below anyday over this.

Hopefully I will get a few shots tomorrow. Waiting for a couple parts.:D:D:D

Iphone image sorry. BTW I HATE CABLES and will do anything to get rid of them. New shorter cable release coming but I had to get dirty with duct tape for now until I figure something out a better solution to the snake long wakeup cable. almost 50 grand and I have to use duct tape.

Guy Mancuso

What does the Alpa wake up cable look like I have on the left grip a pass through like the right grip for a cable . Love to rig something inside that.

I remember Terrys Alpa TC left grip had a gorgeous wake up setup. I want that

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Thierry.

Looks like I would have to mount that upside down though as my thread is coming from the bottom up

Guy Mancuso

Oh Im poor now trust me.

Just shot my kitchen and love the IQ 160 back . Used live view to focus at 100 percent than took a shot checked focus mask which i had to bump up the number to 55 to match my Phase glass in points being shown ( schnieder lens its awesome). Did rise and fall to the max 15 down 15 up with no issues on the LCD back ( did LCC on all of them for processing) than I did a 25 degree rise and i can see the magenta banding on the top. So that is pretty good . Now have to see how the corrections are with the LCC. Same with Shift either way 15 degrees i see nothing bad. But at 20 degrees i see the magenta cast.

So just from the LCD looks good at 15 degrees either way. i will process and confirm all that with the LCC. But so far I'm thrilled .

Oh and anyone that shoots Cambo take the lens bars off . It is so much nicer to get to the lens when working. Really not sure of there function except to protect lens and hang shades off it. You do need a 10T Torax and it is tight so you need full size screwdriver size to get them off. The holes are outside the opening so no light will come through. To me its like night and day without them.

BTW did this without finder without Leica disto or any other accessory. I said this from day 1 of the IQ announcement and I can tell already the back will get you home. I have to give Phase credit for this but not for there wakeup cable. sorry guys this does not cut it with a long wake up cable. I know they where made for studio view cams but your forgetting the field tech guys and gals.

Don Libby

Guy - first I totally agree with your sentiments regarding the way too long wake up cable. I understand there's a shorter one - only it's a 2-parter and costs dearly. I've taken to wrapping the excess around the foot which seems to work and keep it the hell out of the way. If you find a shorter one piece cord let me know.

Regarding the bull bars. My very first thought way back when was to remove the bars and I think I did for an afternoon before putting them back on. The bars do make it a little more difficult to reach the lens however they offer protection to the glass as well as offering another handhold. I keep my kit in either a pelican case or backpack and constantly use the bull bars to reach in and grab the lens. Just offering a slightly different take on them.

Don Libby

Guy

Just sitting here thinking out loud - I'm off to the North Rim in a day and will be back late next week. Then off to Jackson Hole at the end of September for 2-months. Let me know if you want to get together for a quick down and dirty and I'll share my Schneider 72 and short barrel 120 with you. The 120 will blow you away with the amount of movements.

Don