The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay I'm in the tech cam world.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes let me know when your back in town by than I will be a millionaire selling short wake up cables. Lol

jlm

Workshop Member
cool, man.

i am waiting delivery of a 160 as well, we can be 160/cambo buddies!

except my lenses are t/s

etrump

Congrats Guy, glad to see you got the RS.

I thought about removing the bars but with the HR glass I am a little antsy about being clumsy.

JonMo

I like having the bars.
Like Don I just might use them to lift the cam occasionally. OK maybe all the time.
I tried the TS lens and wondered how to pick the damn thing up.

Guy Mancuso

I understand the having the bars thoughts for sure. Matter of preference for sure.

John great news. Seriously the 160 on a tech cam is very very nice and a great choice.

Guy Mancuso

Well this is a failed test but going to show it anyway, just because . This is a 3 shot vertical stitch with the 35XL WITHOUT a center filter and I stitched 15 degrees in either direction. Frankly not sure i need the middle frame as there is a lot of overlap. Anyway on both left and right my LCC where made but for some reason C1 was giving me a warning on color casts for these two LCC frames. I think without the center filter could be the cause, not sure or its just buggy C1 in Lion which would not surprise me AT ALL, C1 is buggy right now in Lion no doubt in my mind. So its off but i totally believe with a CF on the lens and correct LCC you can go 15 degrees all around safely. I will retest that when the center filter comes Monday. Little bit of a tough image since daylight is coming in the left and causing a pretty good shadow off the cabinet. I think this was a good exercise though and worth the effort to have this figured out before serious shooting. The one gift here is my 35mm gets really wide with stitching, this is just awesome. Oh and I do have 5 degrees of rise in this as well.
One other thing I should mention I focused right on the cookbook in live view mode at 100 percent and it is a nice feature to have for alignment and focusing. Now outside it will be harder to work with but inside a real gem of a feature. I am eating a little crow here on my views on live view, its better than I thought it would be and useful.

Guy Mancuso

Just to add , I am having a hard time with C1 right now with Lion. So hoping Lion 10.7.2 and next update to C1 fix all this. I might even try reloading C1. Getting lots of beach balls

Guy Mancuso

Just for fun wanted to see how much wider the image gets with stitching. This is just a straight 35mm horizontal shot

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I'm not using a wakeup cable. I use zero latency and keep a couple of batteries in my pocket.

On cables in general I've ordered a custom short sync to mini jack cable from Paramount - I'll post when it shows up.

Hello , just would like to show my solution for the long sync cable problem. I always use zero latency and frequently turn the back on and off, so there is no sensor heating or extensive battery drain. Just works fine for me.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Guy Mancuso

Thanks after shooting yesterday and I like to shoot fast that I decided hell with the wakeup cable and just do exactly what you mention go short latency and make use of the power off button more often. I carry 5 batteries anyway. I do have a zero latency cable but have to see how long it is. Nice thing is I have both setups so they naturally are backups for each other.

Guy Mancuso

I could easily custom make the PC to mini pin cord as a straight cord feed it through my grip to the connector cable. I can get that done at Paramount cords pretty easily and cheaply. I am going to do that tomorrow. My guess it would cost 15 dollars. If I can get it through the grip that would make my day.

One part of the cable is from the Phase wake up combo, the other one is a simple cable from Metz ( Sync to mini pin, order number is 36-50 as far as I remember.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The 15-35 viewfinder really needs the extended mount too btw to avoid parallax errors. Wolfgang has the Alpa special mount there on the TC. The VF works extremely well overall, although they lack the smooth precision feel of say the Linhof vari-finders. I used this with my Leicas as an alternative to the Frankenfinder.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
The 15-35 viewfinder really needs the extended mount too btw to avoid parallax errors. Wolfgang has the Alpa special mount there on the TC. The VF works extremely well overall, although they lack the smooth precision feel of say the Linhof vari-finders. I used this with my Leicas as an alternative to the Frankenfinder.
We should start a thread on view finders for tech cams. I'm using my Frankenfinder for my Alpa wides and prefer it to the Alpa finder, even though the aspect ratio is 2x3.