The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D4 vs Cube

aizan

Does anyone with a D4m also own a 3-series Gitzo or RRS with a flat plate? I'm curious as to whether the little grey panning knob on the bottom clears the tripod's platform or if it's in the way.

baxter

Hi Aizan

I have a D4M with a 5 series Gitzo. The bottom grey panning lever does go up against the top of the tripod's platform. I've contemplated getting a spacer (only needs 5mm or so), but not yet got around to it. Whilst it isn't currently ideal, I don't think that it's that serious an issue.

I leave the top panning head in line with the planes of movement of the head, unless actually doing a Panoramic stitch.

Seascape

I have the D4 on the latest Gitzo 3531 that does NOT have a centre column, and there is no interference between the the tripod base and the the D4.

They are in fact a good match, I also have a larger Arca Monoball on a 5 series Gitzo.

Jeffg53

Having ordered my D4 last August, I finally have it. So far, I'm not in love but I need to use it a little to get used to it. One thing that does have me concerned is the clamp. On my Cube, the RRS L bracket is rock solid but the D4 has a different clamp with two small posts which I assume are for Arca plates. I am having trouble getting the adjustment right. To have the lever click home each time, I can move the bracket in the jaws. If I tighten it so that it can't move then the lever doesn't click home every time. I need to check that I can't undo it as I don't want it all to end up on a beach. Arca include a note about non-Arca clamps and how they aren't responsible for any problems.

The thought of taking this up with Arca fills me with dread. Has anyone else encountered this? Is it easy to swap it for an RRS clamp?

I can't believe that I am writing this after waiting eight months. I must be crazy. I don't expect to have to work out things like this on products at this price.

Tim Ernst

It is easy to swap it out with an RRs clamp - just loosen the screw and put the new clamp on and tighten the screw. I did that as soon as my D4 arrived last fall, only I removed it a few hours later when I realized the D4 was not nearly as good a head for me as the cube was, so I sent it back. But it is easy to replace the clamp...

jlm

Workshop Member
the cube lever clamp has a sensitive screw adjustment to get the grip just right...may similar?

i ditched mine and put on a screw-down RRS clamp

Jeffg53

The clamp is not the same as on my Cube. It all works beautifully on the Cube. They both have the same adjustment system but there is a difference in operation.

Jeffg53

I just ordered the RRS clamp. I have zero tolerance when it comes to the possibility of dumping my gear on a beach or in snow because of a dud clamp.

Thanks for the replies.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The issue is not with the D4 head.
Its with the so called ARCA COMPATIBLE plates . Most of them are not compatible at all .
From my experience , the only ones which fit with no trouble are the ARCA and NOVOFLEX plates .
I threw the RRS and KIRK plates away , because they do not meet the compatibility at all . Rubbish .
I have a couple of no name plates from China (called For HASSELBLAD) which can be used as well , after I have done some minor rework with my milling machine .
All my plates can now be used with my CUBE and D4 in absolutely the same way and are tight at the same lever position .

Jeffg53

Thanks Jurgen. I use an RRS L bracket on my H4D. There isn't a lot of choice. It's funny that it works well on the Cube but not on the D4. Something must be different. Having waited this long just to get the D4, I'm not in much of a mind to persist when I cam just get an RRS clamp and it's solved.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If you have the Arca flip lock than pick the same brand plates for each camera and lens plates. This way you can make the correct adjustment in the flip lock and all your plates will be the same . Problems start when mixing brands than in the field forget to make that adjust and watch 50 k hit the deck. I've seen it happen and i came very close to it myself just got lucky and caught it. I decided to throw everything out and go Arca brand only. My tech cam has a slidefix and Nikon has the regular plate . No adjustments needed in the field.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
And if I can be so bold is do what I say here. Not what I ever say but trust me this is the only way to deal with multiple cameras and the flip lock which I love using. I have taught way to many workshops and been around 100s of photographers to not say this. Please trust me on this one. You don't want to make adjustments in the field I guarantee you will forget at least once not to do it and it will ruin your day.

ccroft

My D4 came with the classic (screw) clamp which I used for about 6 months. I was pretty happy with that but I began to miss my RRS lever so switched it out. Here's a snapshot with the B2-40 on the D4 on Gitzo 2.

What I like about the RRS: slightly lower, beefier jaws and softer edges. And of course the sweet fit with their L plates.

Jeffg53

I have a different problem. My one RRS L plate fits differently on two Arca clamps. The Cube clamp is fine while the D4 one is not, hence the swap-out for an RRS clamp.

I only use my H gear on a tripod currently but, if I ever buy another system, it's an excellent point to remember.

RodK

Jeff,

Sorry you are having difficulties. It sounds as if you have not adjusted the tension correctly in the D4 clamp or the clamp has a problem. I can Skype with you and provide some technical assistance if you are willing. Please email me, [email protected] to set up a time for the Skype call.

Also, I'm posting a step by step set of photos with instructions for adjusting tension on the Flip-Lock clamps, for the benefit of others who may need some help with the process.

Step 1) Open the Quick Release clamp by pulling the small silver safety button toward the tip of the lever and swing the lever out.

Step 2) Using your finger nail, catch and move the exposed silver ‘worm gear’ on the inside of the lever, toward the end of the lever.

Step 3) Swing lever to the fully open position.

Step 4) With one hand, grip the quick release jaws and pinch the quick release clamp "jaws" closed.

Step 5) With the other hand, while keeping the jaws closed, move the tension adjustment wheel in small increments. Moving the wheel toward the right, (or up as shown) loosens the clamp tension. Moving down or to the left tightens the tension. Make small changes and keep testing until the clamp holds your equipment tightly.
*RRS components are 2mm wider. Other brands may vary as well.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Rod,

Btw, why can't Arca engrave an arrow on the clamp to show tighten/loosen? Having seen more than a few people suffer the nut/washer explosion in the field it seems such a simple thing to add. Whilst I know which way is which (through said experience myself too), it's easy to forget when several months later you need to adjust the clamp for any reason.

Jeffg53

+1. It happened to me in a moss field in Iceland. I was incredibly lucky that I managed to stop the pieces going everywhere. I would never have found then in a foot of moss. I have difficulty reconciling the superb engineering of Arca with such an obvious weakness, which must be easy to fix.