The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D4 vs Cube

prakash

Rod

Thank you for posting this step by step guide. In reading this post, I am quite surprised that there could be a nut/washer explosion in the field. Can you please describe what happens if you loose some of these parts.....would you still be able to secure the camera and get the shot?
A more general question........what are the advantages of having this clamp (Cube) vs screw knob (D4)? I mean is this an over engineered solution where the downside could be this nut/washer explosion?
thanks

prakash

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Prakash,

I'm not Rod but what I can tell you is that you do NOT want to lose the nut or washers in the field. If you do then you'll basically lose the ability to hold the camera plate in the jaws of the quick release.

The couple of times that it has happened to me have been in pretty controlled situations and in each case I've either caught it before it springs apart or the nut & washers dropped in to my hand.

gazwas

Jeff/Graham, without sounding too much the Arca fanboy (which I am) do you think there could be a lesson learnt here about adjusting heads in the field rather than before the shoot? ;)

I'm trying to decide on a D4/Cube at the moment so probably not the most authoritative person on the subject but the fact that Arca have designed their quick release systems to allow adjustment for use with third party plates is a bold and very forward thinking/open step to take IMO. Considering the position Arca hold in the tripod head world, they could have the stance that if third party plate don't EXACTLY match OEM plates then tough!

Again, I don't own an Arca head yet but it is my understanding small adjustments are needed to the chuck wheel so why the need to turn it so much that it explodes?

Jeffg53

Jeff
There are too many different "arca compatible" plates on the market .
I think , after all , it is not so important , which brand you choose , but you should use the same brand on all your gear , adjust the cube and D4 so that your plates fit properly and you will be happy .
Jurgen, my problem is that the clamp on the D4 and Cube behave differently. It's the same L bracket.

Jeffg53

Jeff/Graham, without sounding too much the Arca fanboy (which I am) do you think there could be a lesson learnt here about adjusting heads in the field rather than before the shoot? ;)

Again, I don't own an Arca head yet but it is my understanding small adjustments are needed to the chuck wheel so why the need to turn it so much that it explodes?
Gareth,

Adjusting in the field was not my choice. The roads in Iceland are a tad bumpy. My Cube bounced loose. I had no choice but to adjust it. As for the small adjustments, I agree, but I didn't expect that it would just fall apart in my hand. I blame sleep deprivation and jet lag. It's a long way from Australia to Iceland.

dchew

Some of the "explosions" are not from adjusting but from not closing the release clamp when traveling.

Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

I'm trying to decide on a D4/Cube at the moment so probably not the most authoritative person on the subject but the fact that Arca have designed their quick release systems to allow adjustment for use with third party plates is a bold and very forward thinking/open step to take IMO. Considering the position Arca hold in the tripod head world, they could have the stance that if third party plate don't EXACTLY match OEM plates then tough!

I agree in theory - as mentioned by others though there are just simply some situations where you need to give the clamp a tweak for various reasons. I absolutely agree that the first time you make a big adjustment for your plates to the head shouldn't be in the middle of the forest/beach/windy cliff/bog/glacier/etc. **** just happens.

Once it's set, and all of your plates are exactly the same size/make, you really very rarely have to touch it. I much prefer having this capability vs that of the fixed RRS clamp where there is no possible adjustment.

RodK

Closing the jaws of the fliplock when putting away will alleviate the problem of it unscrewing and exploding. Also picking a single manufactures plates will make a difference as well. Less adjustment required. The classic knob quick set device, benefits from being snugged down in the same manner. Few if any problems if done conscientiously.
A good suggestion on the adjustment direction marker, Graham. Thanks.
Rod

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . If I tighten it so that it can't move then the lever doesn't click home every time. I need to check that I can't undo it as I don't want it all to end up on a beach. Arca include a note about non-Arca clamps and how they aren't responsible for any problems.
Jeff

I am sorry , that I did not read your posts carefully enough .
So I reread your post and found the keyword to be :
"The lever doesn't click home every time"

I got my D4 in front of me and I checked your decription .

aaa) if I have no plate inserted , I can hear the "home click" everytime , and the lever is safely closed . Fine .

bbb) When I insert one of my plates , and close the lever slowly , the "home click" is only there for about 50% of the lever operations .
If I close the lever fast , in about 90% of the operations , the "home click" is there .
If this is what you experience , then I have the same issue than you have .
I am glad , that I came across this by your description , as I was not aware of that potential safety issue .

Now , I have a little circumvention , knowing that it is not really a solution .

When the lever is closed and you did not have the "home click" , press the little safety pin from the bottom , and you will hear the click .
The issue does not turn up with my CUBE fliplock . The same as you experience .

Conclusion : We surely do not get a solution from ARCA , but to be on the safe side , always check , that you can not open the lever . That you had a "home click" .

The safety pin , the one with the notches does not always return into its home position when the lever is closed . This might not happen with all D4's but at least with yours and mine . It can be a matter of just tolerances .
Hope this helps everybody to check his D4 fliplock .

If my description is not clear enough , just you all come back and I will give you a more confusing one .:ROTFL:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I know , its not the fliplock from the D4 , but for demonstration , its ok.
Press the litte pin from the bottom side . A slight tough might be sufficient .

Jeffg53

Jurgen,

Many thanks, we are both on the same page now. I'm glad, in a way, that we are probably looking at a fault rather than only mine being wrong. I know myself well enough to know that I need something that is closed when I think that it is. The thought of seeing my gear in the sand drives expenditure like few other things.

torger

Is someone using the D4 with a bit heavier camera? I want to use it with my 4 kg / 9 lb Linhof Techno system. I'm used to manfrotto geared heads so I like the user interface of the D4 more, but if it will be tough to turn the knobs due to center of gravity issues or similar I guess I have to go for the Cube.

Dan Ortego

I went for the D4m (i.e., the one without the gear movements), as figured I did not need the extra precision. So far I am very happy, except that seeing the leves with the camera mounted is not allways easy.
I was wondering when someone was going to mention that about those seemingly tiny and tucked away level vials. Anyway, I take delivery of the C1 today and frankly, its a crapshoot. I only learned of the D4 just days after I finally decided to part with my money for the Cube. I've been told the C1 is over-kill for a DSLR while others' have said it's the ultimate for any size cam/lens combo. It will gladly replace my floppy ballhead, though at the expense of 'expensive'.

For my DSLR with fast glass I imagine the d4 would be just about perfect. The Arca-Swiss product line goes up in price on 1 January 2013 and I was able to have the Cube shipped at no charge so I'll likely just keep it.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Dan - simple response is you won't regret getting the Cube.

I've got both the D4 and the Cube having bought the Cube several years ago. My main head is and always will be the Cube. Yes it's slightly larger and weighs slightly more; however hands down it's the best photographic head I've ever owned. I routinely use it with my WRS, DF and video cams.

The sole reason for me getting the D4 was for a lighter weight slightly smaller head/tripod combo for when I need to walk/hike out away from the truck. I used this combo recently as I was perched on a cliff overlooking a river in WY and wanted to shoot long exposures. The Cube would have been a tad to heavy to carry and the tripod it lives on too much for the area I was in so I elected to go with the D4.

While I've had the Cube for years I've only had the D4 for less than 6-months and can see where it'll make my life a little easier.

In any case I'm very glad that I have my Cube and I think you will too.

Don

Dan Ortego

Thanks Don,
I needed to be somewhat vindicated with my choice as I get soOoo tired of returning things' back to the supplier. I think it comes with the hobby.

My hiking days are over after decades in military service and I’m physically limited these days’ so I don't have to worry about the weight so much. However, size is a different story although it doesn't appear to be much bigger than my BH55. I know the C1 is a few ounces heavier, although I'll likely swap-out the clamp with a RRS flip-lock and cancel out some of the weight difference.

I feel somewhat kid like' waiting for the UPS guy here on Christmas Eve ~

Last edited:

Geoff

Linhof Micro 3D worth a look. Won't do major tilts but built like a rank and very precise.

Not sure if its 2 lbs wants to go hiking but it is a fine piece of kit.

satybhat

Does anyone know Which of the two RRS clamps fits the cube ?
the B2-40LR 1/4"-20 , or the B2-40LR with the M6 clamp ?
Thanks

rayyen

I have D4 & Cube, love them both.
When I use Max, I'll take Cube with Gitzo Systemtic 3.
When I use STC, I'll take D4 with Gitzo Series 2
When I use TC, I'll use a very small tripod.