The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Guy just noticed your comments regarding the 35mm and thought I'd post my experience using it. I have a Schneider 35mm with CF and have found that while I could have larger movements than 10mm I've tended not to exceed that mark. I also found the closer to 15mm the worse it got to the point of being unusable.

I know that I can get 10mm for my 35, 15mm for my 72 and 20 for the 120. Just takes time, testing and practice.

While not having any empirical data with the 180 I tend to agree that the 180 and 35mm might not be suited for what I do. That said until I learn differently the next back upgrade for me will be the 160.

I do like the idea of converting the 35. Maybe we can get a group discount....
:D
I'd be very interested in hearing about user experience with the Rodie 28, 32 and 40.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'd be very interested in hearing about user experience with the Rodie 28, 32 and 40.
Well, I have not shot the 32 or 28 myself, but I can say with certainty, I really like the Rodie 40 HR-W. Awesome sharp optic with generous IC even on the IQ180 -- max shift while maintaining good IQ in the corner is about 17-18mm.

danlindberg

Thanks Jack & Cs750 :)
Shashin, indeed, tired is the word :D

This one on a slightly more serious note with a title of: "Old & broken"

SWA • SK 72L • 1/125 • f8,5 • iso 50 • no shift

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Glacier Point with smoke in the air - finished image
rm3di SK72 IQ180 f/11 apx 7mm fall

-bob

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jack & Cs750 :)
Shashin, indeed, tired is the word :D

This one on a slightly more serious note with a title of: "Old & broken"

SWA • SK 72L • 1/125 • f8,5 • iso 50 • no shift
Nice, love the composition.
-bob

danlindberg

Thanks Bob!

Was the detailes pulled from the one image at Glacier Point or did you make two exposures? Amazing DR if only one exposure....

Great image!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bob!

Was the detailes pulled from the one image at Glacier Point or did you make two exposures? Amazing DR if only one exposure....

Great image!
Thanks!
That was a single image processed twice in C1, then layered and tweaked.
-bob

cs750

Hey, Jack, Guy, Bob, Dan, and others...these images really get the creative juices flowing and keep this thread alive. Thanks! Incidently, Dan, the lady in the bottom corner of the window adds a nice touch! These images make me want to get out there....but family responsibilities call...maybe next week. Charles

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Guy just noticed your comments regarding the 35mm and thought I'd post my experience using it. I have a Schneider 35mm with CF and have found that while I could have larger movements than 10mm I've tended not to exceed that mark. I also found the closer to 15mm the worse it got to the point of being unusable.

I know that I can get 10mm for my 35, 15mm for my 72 and 20 for the 120. Just takes time, testing and practice.

While not having any empirical data with the 180 I tend to agree that the 180 and 35mm might not be suited for what I do. That said until I learn differently the next back upgrade for me will be the 160.

I do like the idea of converting the 35. Maybe we can get a group discount....
:D
Don - I now have quite a bit of experience with the SK 35 XL and an IQ 180.

Without shifts: color cast is evident but very well controlled with an lcc, particularly with the new version of C1. Hand held I apply only a small amount (say 30%) of correction for light fall off - it's part of the very wide look. If you care about fall off you need a center filter and this is going to put you on a tripod. Wide open there is major loss of accutance as you move toward the edge of the frame. The issue with this lens is curvature of field. If you follow Arca's recommendation and shoot at f11 this is not an issue, except perhaps in the last two or three mm in the corners - and that's debatable. Arca, btw, recommends that you shoot essentially all of the lenses on its list at f11.

With the IQ 180 shifting takes you out of this lens's sweet spot with the first couple of mm. Both falling MTF and extreme color shifts come into play.

I'm using the 35 XL primarily on an Alpa TC to make a high end point and shoot so the shifting issue doesn't matter to me. I use my SK 47 when I need to shift or stitch.

I like the way the 35 XL renders a lot. There is almost no geometric distortion. Bokeh is attractive (actually an issue because of the very large sensor) - transition to out of focus is gentle and there are no wild effects. The compact package is very attractive to me.

This lens reminds me of the original Leica 35mm Lux asph. I love both lenses but there is an aspect that drives me nuts (curvature of field in the case of the SK and focus shift in the case of Leica). Leica made a new version - it would be great if SK did the same.

I asked the question about the Rodie 28 and 32 hoping to learn whether they are possible alternatives - the MTFs suggest that accutance falls off a lot as you reach the edge of the IQ 180 image circle, but R doesn't publish MTFs at f11 so its hard to tell. R's data sheets recommend these lenses only with smaller, lower res backs.

BTW, love your images. Thanks for posting them.

anGy

I post some kind of different pictures than the very beautiful ones already posted.
Those really are not perfect, but I like them because I was expecting nothing from them: they were taken with a Cambo WRS + SK35mm + P40+.
This was my very first time urban shooting with this kit, handholding it, guessing the exposure and most of all guessing the framing (no viewfinder at all). Most were taken at f8-11 and 1/60 with iso 100 to 200 if needed. No rise/fall (apart from fall on the last one, with no LCC correction). Not standing behind the camera but above, watching the bubble levels and the photographed subjects (eyes into eyes) was an interesting experience. People were finding my attitude and camera rather strange and it gave a different look to some pictures.

In the end it was fun to use (my Pana GH2 stayed in the bag) and even more fun discovering the results back home on the computer. Maybe a sort of digital pleasure similar to the old days of analog paper development in the lab ?

Few samples here:

cs750

I didn't know there was such a thing....a "perfect" picture. Enjoyed the images anGy. They look better than mine shot on a tripod. Charles

kuau

Workshop Member
OK here we go, my first "real" images off my arTec using the Sinar 135mm lens, F11 maybe 15mm shift Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI

First snowfall up in Telluride, still no fall colors yet.

Steven

Terry

I avoided this thread for a bit because I was working on some Kenya images. So much good work here. I miss my tech camera. Time to go out shooting and show it some love.

Last edited by a moderator:

danlindberg

Really nice Kuau! Wish I had that scenery here......

I've been at a farm for three days doing nothing but relaxing, but couldn't resist put the camera over my shoulder for a half hour walk. The light was soft and the green seemed greener than normal. The green in this image is not at all tweaked, love that colour.

SWA • SK 120N • 1/30 • f8 • iso 50 • no shift (did not nail focus until fourth try :cool: )