The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

2jbourret

Beautiful color and image - I'm pretty sure that Jamie primarily used an 'alarm clock' filter for the flat light - it works well but boy does it catch up with you. ;)
Daniel, Graham,
Thank you. A 3-stop soft GND was used, in addition to a centerfilter on the SK 35XL. Graham, you'll have to explain 'alarm clock', I haven't heard that before. The foreground light was growing flat, but there was still a soft glow on the rocks, and obviously the clouds were still well lit, hence the need for the GND.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jamie.

As you know, if you want drama, great light, impressive saturated colour then you either need to be there either early or late because it doesn't typically happen at 'convenient' times of the day. Hence, the 'alarm clock' filter.

Btw, did you process an LCC with this? The bottom left seems to have a blue cast.

2jbourret

Graham, thanks for the explanation. And yes, in my haste I had processed in C1 w/o using an LCC. Subsequently I've reprocessed the raw w/ the proper LCC, and redone my adjustments in LR3. I'm much happier with that version.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
The only thing rare about Olmstead point is getting a picture of that lone tree without somebody sitting on the rock next to it.

Hi
Guy, Jack, Terry and Bob:
Great pictures. Having the honor to be in last year's yosemite workshop I took this picture at Olmstead point. Was not shot with Technical Camera but I Like this Guy in the picture and believe gave more value to the shot.:)
--------------
Manouch

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Great shot Manouch, regardless of camera -- but everybody should know that Guy has lost quite a few pounds since that trip!!!

danlindberg

Casual walk on the beach with the SWA and SK 72 L.

Handheld • Guesstimate focus • 1/60 • f8 • iso 50 • no shifts

danlindberg

This one was on Sunday with the family out on a picnic :)

Main exposure was measured straight into the sky and underexposed half a stop. Then there is a second exposure to blend the foreground carefully, just to get the shadows visible.

Thierry

Great shot(s), as usual Dan, but am sure your family wasn't that happy of the last one and certainly asked you why you had spent so much money for not even being able to distinguish the faces.

;)

Thierry

This one was on Sunday with the family out on a picnic :)

stngoldberg

Newport Ri has an endless supply of wonderful photographic opportunities.
I am new to the Arca Swiss RM3DI; here is an image I took today with a 72mm lens, f11, ISO 50 1/30 sec

Stanley

2jbourret

What not to do with a tech cam:
I was out scouting color this morning, equipped only with the Cambo and one lens, a 35. I guess you make do with what you've got.

cs750

I am not sure what it is that you should not do....but the image look good to me. I enjoyed seeing it. I guess you are thinking one should not go out with just one lens, but I suspect you might get some debate about that. Thanks for posting. Charles

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
What not to do with a tech cam:
I was out scouting color this morning, equipped only with the Cambo and one lens, a 35. I guess you make do with what you've got.
Jamie,

Very nice and pastoral.

I think that we need a real challenge now though for unlikely scenes for a tech camera shot! Has anyone got any sports shots taken with their technical camera?

2jbourret

Charles, what I really meant by that was that for me, it doesn't really work to shoot ANYTHING that moves, other than water, with the tech cam. To make matters worse, all I had with me was a wide lens. There's been a lot of cropping done to arrive at this image. It's really rare here to see a moose, especially a bull, so I just couldn't pass it up.
Thanks for the comments!