Site Sponsors
Page 16 of 79 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical Camera Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Technical Camera Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    I agree! I actually had to add keystoning to the bank picture. I may not have added enough.
    --Matt
    I think this is a completely valid approach when shooting at large apertures (not really applicable in this shot I guess).

Use tilt to get the plane of focus exactly where you want it and then use keystone correction in software to reintroduce a believable perspective. You could use focus stacking for a similar effect, but it is messy and frankly I think it is difficult to attain the same quality.

When we made the keystone tool in Capture One we found that an 80% correction (the default) is usually a good amount. This means that you only need to "undo" about 20%, so you won't loose much of your crop.

In fact you may get a slightly larger crop than you otherwise would. The top of the image tends to be sky which is easy to fill in (e.g. content aware fill).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    ¿What are the pictures of?

I see them as picture of the building in the landscape, and I would (if there was room) have used a much longer lens to make the image of the mountains behind at least as big as the building.

In the shot with Guy, the building is framed by the mountains ¿hills?

...and is it a difference in lighting or "Hasselblad colour"?
    The difference is that my shot without Guy was about 4 minutes after my shot with Guy, so the sun had set even further.

I actually like the contrast of the sunlit building in contrast to the darkening sky, and landscape.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

¿Trouble is these cameras tend to be heavy and bulky, so few people use them outside the studio?
    Actually, the trouble is the ones where the rear standard moves are simply not rigid and precise enough for today's high resolution digital backs. The closest thing out there right now to a true view camera that is precise enough is the Arca M-Line 2, and it's rear standard does not tilt for the very reason of rigidity and precision between the standards. So the workaround is you tilt the entire camera to get the back at the angle you want, then add rise or fall on either/both standards as needed for the composition, and thus get the same net set of rear tilt movements "indirectly" as you would on a full-funtion studio camera.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Stephens View Post
    The difference is that my shot without Guy was about 4 minutes after my shot with Guy, so the sun had set even further.

I actually like the contrast of the sunlit building in contrast to the darkening sky, and landscape.
    I shot with a 28mm lens and Bryan a 40mm lens so I am much closer to the scene which changes the perspective.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EsbenHR View Post
    I think this is a completely valid approach when shooting at large apertures (not really applicable in this shot I guess).

Use tilt to get the plane of focus exactly where you want it and then use keystone correction in software to reintroduce a believable perspective. You could use focus stacking for a similar effect, but it is messy and frankly I think it is difficult to attain the same quality.

When we made the keystone tool in Capture One we found that an 80% correction (the default) is usually a good amount. This means that you only need to "undo" about 20%, so you won't loose much of your crop.

In fact you may get a slightly larger crop than you otherwise would. The top of the image tends to be sky which is easy to fill in (e.g. content aware fill).
    Crap now I have to break my bubble levels on my new cube. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Crap now I have to break my bubble levels on my new cube. ROTFLMAO
    Any you were just assimilated too...
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Between the backs level and the cube i can never be accused of not being level. Both deadly accurate yes even the cube

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Matt, this image of Rhyolite is stellar, great job!

PS: Re printers, I am an Epson guy all the way -- I currently have a 7900, but only because I don't have quite enough room for a 9900! And like the above posters said, you get near perfect WYSIWYG output.
    Thank you, Jack. Did I mention that I had a great time in DV?

At the risk of continued threadjacking, do you 7900/9900 folk use the Epson drivers, or something like Imageprint? (I don't mind that the RIP is expensive, but the gratuitous scaling with printer price is off-putting.)

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Thank you, Jack. Did I mention that I had a great time in DV?

At the risk of continued threadjacking, do you 7900/9900 folk use the Epson drivers, or something like Imageprint? (I don't mind that the RIP is expensive, but the gratuitous scaling with printer price is off-putting.)

--Matt
    Matt,

Frankly I find the x900 printers so good (linear across individual printers) that the manufacturer canned profiles work great -- and I do have the i1 to make my own profiles, and so far have not bothered! This includes Epson's Exhibition Fiber Paper and Canson's Platine Fiber Rag profile for the 7900. I also get outstanding neutral B&W output using the color profiles. (I use the color profiles because I often subtly tone my B&W's and thus get WYSIWYG toned output, where using Epson's ABW driver you do not get WYSIWYG output. Understand this is a topic of standing debate and others will disagree with me, so just telling you what I do -- but I will add I've sold several of my B&W's to other photographers, and their comments are always very positive about the tonality in my prints.) So bottom line, I think unless you are a commercial shop running a gang of printers or ganging multiple images onto one continuous print run, I don't think there is any real need for a RIP...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would agree with Jack, but I do use ImagePrint, and I am very pleased with the 9.0 version.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

why do those boys ramp up the fee with more paper width?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    why do those boys ramp up the fee with more paper width?
    They believe that their RIP has greater value to you with a larger, more expensive printer. It bugs me too ... Especially since I own several printers and the license for the biggest doesn't allow me to use smaller printers.

I've balked at upgrading to IP 9 from IP 6 because of this. It's a shame because it is great software if you use many different papers.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

I do pretty much what Jack does: The Epson drivers with LR/PS managing colors even for B&W. I have made a few profiles for paper I use a lot, such as Canson Infinity Baryta and Ilford GFS. But the canned profiles are indeed very good. I do not own a RIP.

I used to use the ABW mode in the Epson drivers for B&W, but I could not master the split tone controls like I've been able to in LR. I get better control using LR and a profile.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if you don't want the subject to be distorted, or the less possible.
    When using 4x5", shooting jewelry (rings) needs at least a FL of 300 mm.

Thierry

¿Does this apply to heads?

Do we get much perceivable benefit above 120mm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mustard seed is blooming in Napa Valley now. First shot while walking around Friday morning at the Wine Country Inn in St. Helena:
    (Alpa MAX, P45+, 80mm APO Digitar with 2deg back tilt, polarizing filter, [email protected], shift/rise/fall to compose only; no stitching)

Next shot on the way home, just south of Oakville:
    (Alpa MAX, P45+, 80mm APO Digitar with 6deg back tilt, polarizing filter, [email protected], shift/rise/fall to compose)

Sure do love it when I can mix business with pleasure! Hope all enjoy,
    Bob
    www.rgaphoto.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice images Bob...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much Vincent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob,

Great images! You motivated me to get my tech cam up to Napa next week and see what I can find!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the trouble is the ones where the rear standard moves are simply not rigid and precise enough for today's high resolution digital backs. The closest thing out there right now to a true view camera that is precise enough is the Arca M-Line 2, and it's rear standard does not tilt for the very reason of rigidity and precision between the standards. So the workaround is you tilt the entire camera to get the back at the angle you want, then add rise or fall on either/both standards as needed for the composition, and thus get the same net set of rear tilt movements "indirectly" as you would on a full-funtion studio camera.
    Just for fun, here are a couple of view camera shots (subject irrelevant but basically the classic wine bottle and glasses) showing indirect movements with a fairly steep camera rail, comparing stacks and front tilt. So, with the stacks (left) there is just front fall (lots) and with the single image there is both fall and about 5' of forward tilt. The AS Monolith handles movements of both standards pretty well with the IQ180 and a long lens. The stack is about ten images, but needed more planes as softness varies from place to place. Precise stacking would be really difficult with anything shorter than a 90 or so, because of the coarse focus.

Alignment of the standards seems OK down to the Rodie 70, where the ability to tilt or swing becomes pretty rudimentary anyway (standards conflict). Much wider than that and I would use a tech camera as you suggest. I do a lot of shifting to capture aircraft with the 40 and 90 on a tech camera, and would like to try the 32 to see what that could do for me. I never did warm up to the 28.
    Last edited by cunim; 13th December 2013 at 13:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Mustard seed is blooming in Napa Valley now. First shot while walking around Friday morning at the Wine Country Inn in St. Helena:
    (Alpa MAX, P45+, 80mm APO Digitar with 2deg back tilt, polarizing filter, [email protected], shift/rise/fall to compose only; no stitching)

Next shot on the way home, just south of Oakville:
    (Alpa MAX, P45+, 80mm APO Digitar with 6deg back tilt, polarizing filter, [email protected], shift/rise/fall to compose)

Sure do love it when I can mix business with pleasure! Hope all enjoy,
    Bob
    Bob,

Very nice! I've got a long weekend to trek back to Oregon from the bay area so I think I'll take the Hwy 29 detour! Thanks for sharing.

Btw, I'll have to ping you about using the Alpa T/S adapter, especially on the back. I'm still trying to get to grips with mine and my rules of thumb that I've used with a Cambo don't seem to apply with the Alpa T/S adapter.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Graham,
    Alway happy to talk gear and photography! Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Have a great trip; should be lovely next week.
    Best,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Bob,

Very nice! I've got a long weekend to trek back to Oregon from the bay area so I think I'll take the Hwy 29 detour! Thanks for sharing.

Btw, I'll have to ping you about using the Alpa T/S adapter, especially on the back. I'm still trying to get to grips with mine and my rules of thumb that I've used with a Cambo don't seem to apply with the Alpa T/S adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Jack!
    With a bit of rain this weekend, my guess (and I'm no botanist) would be the fields should be busting out.
    Have fun,
    Bob

Bob,

Great images! You motivated me to get my tech cam up to Napa next week and see what I can find!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham: have lunch for Sarah and I at Mustard's, special place

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did.
    Oh wait, you were speaking to Jack...
    Well I have to go back tomorrow because I left my jacket at the inn; any excuse! I'm sure it would be much cheaper to have them mail it to me (vis-a-vis gas prices) but then I wouldn't get to photograph.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Graham: have lunch for Sarah and I at Mustard's, special place

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RGA,
    check out the mustard south of yountville, east side of 29. or look me up, I drove all over looking at mustard today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Vincent,
    I think I saw that field; incredibly bright mustard! It was like a thick carpet. Beautiful, but I just didn't see an image (might have been going too fast. Also, it was the afternoon and so it looked pretty flat at that time of day.

I'm not sure I'll make it tomorrow; just filled up my vehicle to the tune of $50+ and I think I need to throttle back a bit.

I'd love to see some of your images!
    Best,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Goetz View Post
    RGA,
    check out the mustard south of yountville, east side of 29. or look me up, I drove all over looking at mustard today.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I never shot a thing today, the light was flat for a good part of the day. Will be back at it in the am....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking forward to see what you see!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Goetz View Post
    I never shot a thing today, the light was flat for a good part of the day. Will be back at it in the am....

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa | SK 35 XL | handheld | 1/60 | f5.6 | iso 100 | 7mm rise

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Beautiful.

BTW, don't you know you cannot shoot handheld with MFD, not unless you use 1/250s. You new guys have got to get with the program. You come in here, making great images, and you are not even doing it properly.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Grim day in Crescent City, CA so I figured I'd do some T/S with my Alpa. What seems easy with the Cambo seems MUCH harder with the Alpa. After much struggling to get it right here's the only decent result from the day. (Btw, very considerate of that guy to walk into the space during one of the good exposures! )

Alpa 12 STC, IQ160, 90 HR-W 5mm fall (rear rise), 3 degrees rear tilt 1/30 @ f/11.3
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 21st February 2012 at 11:31.
    Ylem ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Graham,
    What did you find to be so difficult vs the Cambo? Thanks. I'm very curious,
    Bob
    Grim day in Crescent City, CA so I figured I'd do some T/S with my Alpa. What seems easy with the Cambo seems MUCH harder with the Alpa. After much struggling to get it right here's the only decent result from the day. (Btw, very considerate of that guy to walk into the space during one of the good exposures! )

Alpa 12 STC, IQ160, 90 HR-W 5mm rise, 3 degrees rear tilt 1/30 @ f/11.3

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Graham,
    What did you find to be so difficult vs the Cambo? Thanks. I'm very curious,
    Bob
    Bob,

I guess it's just the disconnect between what I expected to happen and what I actually got. With the T/S around the nodal point of the lens(as with the Cambo) I could easily calculate what tilt I thought I needed and wham I got sharp from toes to horizon using infinity or with a tweak.

With the Alpa T/S mounted on the rear I tried to calculate the tilt based on the tripod height and I initially got it ok at about 3.2 degrees but as soon as I added some rise/fall it all fell apart and I lost the sense of being in control of what was happening. I think I need a hands on with someone skilled in using this set up because when I nailed it it was fabulous but I just don't feel quite in control yet. The light was horrible today too so I couldn't rely on my focus mask on the IQ to really help.

The problem is definitely me, not the gear. I feel like a total newbie on this adapter. With the Cambo set up I was immediately productive which was the strange contrast between shooting experiences. It was the same with my Hartblei super-rotator and also Nikon T/S lenses which I mastered pretty quickly. I'm sure that the problem is that I'm over correcting for things and so ending up way off. Practice, practice, practice i suspect is the solution. Any advice?

Oh, and btw, no I'm not changing from my Alpa! You'd have to prise it from my cold dead hands!!
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's no small discussion, but I think a very important and interesting one I would like to have and learn from. I'm hitting the hay right now but would like to continue with you (and anyone else of course) tomorrow. I'll chime in then.
    Best,
    Bob
    Bob,

I guess it's just the disconnect between what I expected to happen and what I actually got. With the T/S around the nodal point of the lens(as with the Cambo) I could easily calculate what tilt I thought I needed and wham I got sharp from toes to horizon using infinity or with a tweak.

With the Alpa T/S mounted on the rear I tried to calculate the tilt based on the tripod height and I initially got it ok at about 3.2 degrees but as soon as I added some rise/fall it all fell apart and I lost the sense of being in control of what was happening. I think I need a hands on with someone skilled in using this set up because when I nailed it it was fabulous but I just don't feel quite in control yet. The light was horrible today too so I couldn't rely on my focus mask on the IQ to really help.

The problem is definitely me, not the gear. I feel like a total newbie on this adapter. With the Cambo set up I was immediately productive which was the strange contrast between shooting experiences. It was the same with my Hartblei super-rotator and also Nikon T/S lenses which I mastered pretty quickly. I'm sure that the problem is that I'm over correcting for things and so ending up way off. Practice, practice, practice i suspect is the solution. Any advice?

Oh, and btw, no I'm not changing from my Alpa! You'd have to prise it from my cold dead hands!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Graham,

This is absolutely normal, when not using the T/S adapter on the lens plane. When tilting or swinging on the rear it affects the perspective, the focus, respectively also the reproduction scale, which in turn again affects the tilt/swing angle. When using parallel shift, V or H, it does affect the focus as well. It needs effectively a little time and some experience to get the angle right. But that is not an Alpa specific issue.

Best regards
    Thierry

Best regards

Bob,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good Morning Graham!
    Our approaches are very different. I don't calculate anything. I use the Alpa ground glass. It is not as difficult if you use the GG for framing (using rise fall) and then apply tilt.
    If I want to stitch, I use camera movements that are 90deg from the plane of tilt (vertical tilt, shift horizontally/horizontal tilt, shift vertically).
    My guess is this might be more limiting that what you do (calculate a tilt and rise/fall and shift any way you want). I haven't tried that, but I'm sure it's possible with the GG; just haven't found a situation needing it.
    The nice thing about the 80 and above (the lenses that you can use with the tilt), is that they can be stopped down to about f/16.3 with my P45+ without visible degradation.
    For near/far with the 35, focus shift is needed if I want closer than 1.9m in focus.
    So I'm sure that is different (and perhaps more limiting) than you have with the Cambo, but it hasn't posed any limitations for me thus far.
    There is an Alpa GG item in the for sale area that seems reasonable priced...
    Best,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bob & Thierry.

I do have the GG already & bellows/mask although I haven't used it for quite some time as normally use the VF (iphone or optical) for basic framing with shift/rise/fall and then shoot/check/adjust on the LCD of the back. With the IQ160 I also leverage the focus mask display and generally focus stack when I need extended depth of field. I guess that I've become pretty proficient with this approach as I can set up and fire off a stack of frames in no time but it's a pain to then have to post process them vs a single shot nailed in the field with tilt.

Regarding the math, it's pretty easy to set the angle based on the height and approximate. It's here where things get out of my control. Maybe it's time to break out the focus hood & GG/loupe again ...

Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    This is absolutely normal, when not using the T/S adapter on the lens plane. When tilting or swinging on the rear it affects the perspective, the focus, respectively also the reproduction scale, which in turn again affects the tilt/swing angle. When using parallel shift, V or H, it does affect the focus as well. It needs effectively a little time and some experience to get the angle right. But that is not an Alpa specific issue.

Best regards
    Thierry
    Thierry, what would help is some guidelines as to the approach to take here. With simple tilt/swing on the lens plane I think that I've got it pretty well understood. However, with the adapter off the lens plane I'm lacking the explanation along the lines of 'if I do X then Y + Z will happen ...'. I feel like there are multiple effects to each small adjustment and it's here where I'm struggling.

With my Nikons it was much easier due to live view. With the Alpa T/S I'm not quite sure whether to leave focus at infinity & dial in the tilt to align the focus plane with where I want it or whether I need to adjust focus closer to my main subject etc. As you mentioned, as I tilt & shift the image will move in relation to the frame too. Foreground looming with the rear tilt isn't a concern as I typically want this in landscape images so at least that variable is one that I can ignore.

Do you have any good pointers to references to using the rear adapter? I'm pretty well read up on the classics from Stroebel, Merklinger etc.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 21st February 2012 at 09:33.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, sorry if I am being dense but do you specifically need the geometric effects of putting the tilt on the back as opposed to the front? Yes, it is a pain reversing the Alpa but perhaps easier than the relearning you are faced with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem is similar when mounted on the front actually, perhaps more so because the whole lens moves.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very curious now. With the IQ backs, does the focus mask work (i.e., does what the focus mask show change) when you stop down? Can you see what will be in focus at f/16 that wasn't in focus at f/5.6?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very curious now. With the IQ backs, does the focus mask work (i.e., does what the focus mask show change) when you stop down? Can you see what will be in focus at f/16 that wasn't in focus at f/5.6?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    The IQ will analyze the shot and do a contrast determination to show on screen what it thinks is or isn't in sharp focus. You can adjust the tolerance for this. It works on the actual capture (not live view) and so yes if you shot at f/5.6 and f/16 it would show the near/far range of focus on screen for each image. I use it extensively to evaluate my shots in the field. For focus stacking I can see the range for each capture in bands from my toes all the way out to objects at infinity as I focus out there. With tilt, when I get it right, you see literally a carpet of in focus image highlighted from up close to the distance.

I warn you that getting a demo of this is likely to lead you down an expensive path
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I warn you that getting a demo of this is likely to lead you down an expensive path

Indeed it will! The technical features of both focus mask and live view have basically rendered the GG on a tech cam obsolete... You should have seen Graham's face light up when he borrowed a Cambo with a 40 TS lens on it combined with his IQ160 back -- his words were something on the order of, "I'm afraid that's going to prove a very expensive demo for me."

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I have only had my P40+ for about 2 months, but after shooting the IQ at the DV workshop I am already looking forward to the upgrade.

Focus Mask and LV took a lot of the guesswork out of my tilt photos which was huge. When I was "forced" to use my P40+ again, I actually had to work a little harder at getting my images, and to be honest, they were not quite as sharp (Then again, I had only been using a Tech Cam for 3 days)
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa SWA | SK 35 XL | 1/8 | f8 | iso 50 | no shift

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually what is amazing to me, is how fast all the folks on the DV workshop that demoed cameras with tilts in conjunction with the Phase IQ technology were able to put them into combined use and achieve immediate success. The participant's images speak for themselves.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post

Really nice image Dan.

As a 6x6 user, I really like the square format!

Thanks for sharing, S

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Swissblad. I guess my first medium format camera did make an impact on seeing images. In the mid eighties I bought (with my fathers money) a Hasselblad 500CM with CF40, CF80, CF120 macro with bellows and a CF350. I used it for a good ten years before switching to Fuji GX 680 III. Although I completely loved the GX 680, I have kept on cropping to square quite often still to this day thanks to the Hassie!

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,

As long as the tilt resp. swing affects the focus, which it necessarily does because the point(s) in focus do not lie in the tilt resp. in the swing axis of the camera (and therefore get out of focus as soon as one tilts or swings), there can only be a method of getting it set step by step = tilt + re-frame + re-focus until the right sharpness plane/framing is obtained.

In other words, a view camera with asymmetrical tilt and swing axis and a "2-point" tilt/swing possibility with the 1st point in the desired focus plane set in focus, then tilt or swing until a 2nd point in the desired sharpness plane gets sharp while the 1st point remains in focus (because lying in the tilt/swing axis) is the only solution for a methodic and fast setting.

This cannot be obtained with a "tech" camera. But IMO, it is not necessary: as long as one does the adjustment in small increments with each time re-focus in-between, the right plane adjustment can be set quite fast. But for this it needs to be able to check the focus very carefully, either on a GG with loupe or better with the live-view option.

Best regards
    Thierry

Thanks Bob & Thierry.
    Thierry, what would help is some guidelines as to the approach to take here. With simple tilt/swing on the lens plane I think that I've got it pretty well understood. However, with the adapter off the lens plane I'm lacking the explanation along the lines of 'if I do X then Y + Z will happen ...'. I feel like there are multiple effects to each small adjustment and it's here where I'm struggling.

With my Nikons it was much easier due to live view. With the Alpa T/S I'm not quite sure whether to leave focus at infinity & dial in the tilt to align the focus plane with where I want it or whether I need to adjust focus closer to my main subject etc. As you mentioned, as I tilt & shift the image will move in relation to the frame too. Foreground looming with the rear tilt isn't a concern as I typically want this in landscape images so at least that variable is one that I can ignore.

Do you have any good pointers to references to using the rear adapter? I'm pretty well read up on the classics from Stroebel, Merklinger etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Thierry.

Basically back to the old way doing things. This is how I used to do it with 4x5 and also my Nikon PC-E lenses with live view on my D3s/D3x. What's missing and no doubt where I'm messing up is on the fine control/review. I had been hoping to leverage the short cuts from calculating the ideal tilt angle for simple landscape infinity shooting, basically based on height above the desired subject plane. No such luck with the adapter being off the lens axis it seems - it was easy with the Cambo & 40TS. If the IQ "live view" were more refined then the adjustments out in the field would be easier. This was easy enough on my Nikons.

Of course the challenge for me is to break away from my existing focus stacking approach which is quick, easy and effective in almost any scene. However I'll perservere as you can't beat capturing a scene in a single shot when the light and moving elements of the image are fleeting and you can compose and wait for the light.

I ordered a new GG mask for my Alpa to match the IQ. I think I'll just spend a bunch of time practicing, practicing, practicing with a loupe and the GG until I'm comfortable.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 21st February 2012 at 21:24.
    Ylem ...