The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

jlm

Workshop Member
so glad you guys like it.

something special about that pre-dawn aura gets captured, things the eye barely can see

jotloob

Subscriber Member
zabriskie, pre-sunrise
John

I love that image . It looks very three dimensional . Very impressive to me .:thumbs: The soft color even intensify this .

When I see the images of this workshop , a question arises .
How do you and all members of the workshop protect your gear against sand ? ? ?
Many years ago I was in France at the highest european sand dunes .
A slight wind blew sand onto my ROLLEI and it could never get repaired again .
Hope this happened to none of you .

Altdo

With all these warm looking shots from Death Valley, I'm sorry to remind everyone it's still February.

P45+; Horseman SW-D Pro II ; 35mm Rode ; F/11; 1 Second; .6 Graduated ND

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
artist's palette, first night out in death valley, just after sundown 70mm 5 shot pano

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Inspired by Johns pre-dawn shots at Zabriske Point. Thought I would do a little work on mine.

Here is a 4 shot Pano with the 60 SK

Than a couple single shots with the same lens

gerald.d

moon, zabriskie, pre-dawn, two shot pano, 120SK
Where's the jaw-meet-floor smiley when you need it, eh? The tones in the landscape are incredible.

Just one question - has the Moon somehow got distorted in the stitching or is it lens distortion?

It doesn't look circular to my eyes (stretched along the south-west>north-east axis), and the EXIF shows a 1 second exposure which I wouldn't expect to provide sufficient movement to give the same result.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just one question - has the Moon somehow got distorted in the stitching or is it lens distortion?

It doesn't look circular to my eyes (stretched along the south-west>north-east axis), and the EXIF shows a 1 second exposure which I wouldn't expect to provide sufficient movement to give the same result.
I'll answer for John, not my shot, but I was there :)

The Moon was about 3 days past full so was missing a portion of the right side. Not sure on John's EXIF, but I suspect that is a default shutter speed shown when shooting on a tech cam with no electronic connection to the back -- and the exposure was likely closer to 30 seconds which would slightly "track" the Moon right along the same axis the oval is on, elongating and blurring it slightly.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My bet John was shooting his SK 72 on his Cambo at least 20 seconds or so as Jack said. Exif would only show the time not the lens or aperture as tech cam lenses are dumb to the electronics of the back, so that does not show up.

jlm

Workshop Member
Rodie 70 or sk 120. to tell the truth, in all the excitement, I don't rightly recall...

moon was oblong in both pano components, probably distorted bit from flare

gerald.d

Thanks guys. 20-30 seconds makes a lot more sense, and would be sufficient for the Moon to get motion blurred.

Still can't get my head around the tones in the landscape. Never seen anything quite like it before.

Inspirational stuff.

anGy

In addition, this Alpa Lens Corrector tool will soon be available (within this month) in its 64-bit version (to be used with ONLY for Apple OSX 10.5 and above as well as with Photoshop CS 5 and above).
Thierry
:thumbup: That is a great news :thumbup:

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
These are my first images after my first attempt at using a Tech Cam and also processing in C1. Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome

[/IMG]

Cambo WRS, Rodenstock 40 t/s, IQ180

J

jcoffin

Hi Bryan,

That's a really nice shot. There are two things I'd note, both of them related more to how you've processed them for posting than to the shooting itself.

The first is that you've compressed it enough that there's some pretty noticeable banding, especially in the sky. I seem to be more sensitive to that than most people, but at least to me it detracts quite a bit, especially from a shot that starts out this nice.

The second is sort of similar -- as it stands right now, you're not really using very close to all the range available in a JPEG (which is already a lot fewer than you have in the original capture). In particular, you're missing much of anything that resembles a really deep black (again -- almost certainly present in the raw file, but lost in the JPEG as it stands right now).

I don't know anything about how you've set up your computer for processing, but the latter is particularly common with people who haven't calibrated their monitor -- most monitors are set at pretty high contrast and saturation by default, so a JPEG like this will look pretty good. On a calibrated monitor, however, it looks a little dull and flat. I hope you'll forgive my posting a mildly edited version (which I'll remove immediately, if you prefer):

Note that any apparent increase in saturation here is a side-effect of the contrast -- I didn't touch the saturation levels at all. Literally, all I did was adjust the levels in Ps and re-save.

cng

My first contributions to this thread. Quick conversions using C1, no sharpening or LCC applied.

Interior with the SK43, zero shift. Exterior with the SK60, shifted +20mm.

dick

Yes, the only solution is to take a longer FL, actually as long as possible when such round or spherical objects are to be reproduced without distorsion.

Thierry
¿Does this apply to heads?

Do we get much perceivable benefit above 120mm?

jlm

Workshop Member
added three images to the left to complete a five shot pano, still trying to figure out how to even the sky tone in the center C5 gagged using phoyomerge, this was with auto giga

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Hi Bryan,

That's a really nice shot. There are two things I'd note, both of them related more to how you've processed them for posting than to the shooting itself.

The first is that you've compressed it enough that there's some pretty noticeable banding, especially in the sky. I seem to be more sensitive to that than most people, but at least to me it detracts quite a bit, especially from a shot that starts out this nice.

The second is sort of similar -- as it stands right now, you're not really using very close to all the range available in a JPEG (which is already a lot fewer than you have in the original capture). In particular, you're missing much of anything that resembles a really deep black (again -- almost certainly present in the raw file, but lost in the JPEG as it stands right now).

I don't know anything about how you've set up your computer for processing, but the latter is particularly common with people who haven't calibrated their monitor -- most monitors are set at pretty high contrast and saturation by default, so a JPEG like this will look pretty good. On a calibrated monitor, however, it looks a little dull and flat. I hope you'll forgive my posting a mildly edited version (which I'll remove immediately, if you prefer):

Note that any apparent increase in saturation here is a side-effect of the contrast -- I didn't touch the saturation levels at all. Literally, all I did was adjust the levels in Ps and re-save.
Thanks for the feedback. I am still learning C1 as this was my first try, and I think my laptop and desktop have two different calibrations on the monitors. I like the subtle changes you made where the colors dont seem as over saturated and dont bleed as much into each other.

I will keep playing around with C1 and see what I can do. The TIFF does look much better with regards to the blacks and tonal range, but the file is too large to post on here.

Thanks again.:thumbup: