The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

danlindberg

I found two walls joining interesting from a graphical perspective. I set up the camera deadcentre, took my time and measured distance and exposure. Then I waited, and waited, and waited until somebody would pass by. Finally somebody did :D

SK 72L, no shift, 1/8 @f22

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I enjoyed the thread.

IMHO, and please don't take this personally, but the current trend of separating MF images based on "what camera" you might be using (we now have 3, technical, Pentax 645, and everyone else) sort of flies in the face of the forum in general. I suppose we could create a hasselblad thread and a DF thread ... but to me it seems keeping them all in one thread will keep the thread fresh and diverse and more interesting.

just my 2 cents worth (and I know that is 2 cents more than my opinion is actually worth :) )

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tend to agree one thread and like always post what you used. Sometimes people like to know what lens and system. I always post Back and lens used, I think it helps people see what a 110 looks like and such. Just my 2 cents

Frankly I just love looking at the art.

stephengilbert

A dissent: I think that tech cameras might be an exception. The photos often show the effect of the use of a particular lens or movement. There are threads that contain literally thousands of posts and photos, often repeated over and over with comments about how great they are. I'd hate to have to look through something like that to see if a particular lens can be shifted 15mm.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
A dissent: I think that tech cameras might be an exception. The photos often show the effect of the use of a particular lens or movement. There are threads that contain literally thousands of posts and photos, often repeated over and over with comments about how great they are. I'd hate to have to look through something like that to see if a particular lens can be shifted 15mm.
While true, I don't think that is the purpose of threads like this. If you want to know how well a lens shifts, you would be much better off just asking ... I think you'll find on this forum you'll get some very good answers very quickly that are more useful for that purpose.

I agree the thread gets pretty long and it would be nice if you quote a previous post if just a thumbnail would show up instead of the large image ... but I still enjoy looking through them and really don't care what system took them since at these sizes it's doubtful you can really see much difference between them.

O

Optechs Digital

Greetings Dan,

Your work is quite interesting and inspiring!

Here is another with Alpa SWA, Schneider 120 and lots of extensions.

View attachment 48359

Best Regards,
Paul

stephengilbert

I guess the question is what you think the purpose of "threads like this" is.

There's a "Fun with MF Images" thread that has more than 7000 posts. Can't there be a more limited thread? There are a whole series of threads of Leica and Nikon and Micro 4/3 photos.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My initial hope was that folks would use this thread to share some of the technical information, like how much and what type of lens movements were used. Without that data, there is no real reason to have this thread separate from the generic MF images thread IMHO.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I think that this is a better alternative than an arca plus an alpa plus a cambo, plus a whatever set of threads and BTW nothing prevents you from posting in the main MF images thread if there is no particular "tech-ish" facet to the image posted.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I found two walls joining interesting from a graphical perspective. I set up the camera deadcentre, took my time and measured distance and exposure. Then I waited, and waited, and waited until somebody would pass by. Finally somebody did :D

SK 72L, no shift, 1/8 @f22

Dan,

I very much enjoy your use of gestalt principles in your images. I like this one a lot.

I find myself being inspired by this thread to continue to simplify my compositions.

Last edited:

pipzz

> A few arial shots using the IQ180, Cambo RS, HR 32mm. (Handheld of course)

Ed, those are great shots :shocked:! What ISO, f and shutter speed did you use? Thanks.

danlindberg

Ed, really nice! I like all of them, but the very last one might be my favorite.

Graham, thanks, gestalt principles I studied 20 years ago and I guess some of it stuck!!

Paul, thanks for your compliment. Your image looks great, it would actually be of great help if you could post focus distance with a 6.5 extension or a 16 or a 34? Meaning only one of the extensions mentioned on the camera.

Some opinions on the thread. Well, my intention was to create an "Alpa" gallery, having seen that there was a Pentax thread doing solo. This was changed quite quickly to become a generel "Tech cam" thread. Not what I had in mind, but as you can see I have kept at it. I thought that it would be a faster way to find images shot with tech lenses and shifts. Now, I know that I have written lens used, shifts, shutterspeed and fstop on some but not all, that is because I never take notes so when not stated, I cannot remember.

Here's what I'll do. I post this last image, then I will not post any more in this thread (for now). My intention was definitely not to have my own personal gallery in one thread (thanks woody and Ed to chip in). If there really is no interest of my thread, then it dies a natural death and everyone can again concentrate on the huge generic image thread.

This image was shot yesterday with the 72L and 15mm rise. 1/60 • f11 • iso50

R

rafaelrojasphoto

Wow, the photograph of the tree is absolutely stunning!! I love it...the other are also great, but that tree!

cheers,
rafael

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Some opinions on the thread. Well, my intention was to create an "Alpa" gallery, having seen that there was a Pentax thread doing solo. This was changed quite quickly to become a generel "Tech cam" thread. Not what I had in mind, but as you can see I have kept at it. I thought that it would be a faster way to find images shot with tech lenses and shifts. Now, I know that I have written lens used, shifts, shutterspeed and fstop on some but not all, that is because I never take notes so when not stated, I cannot remember.

Here's what I'll do. I post this last image, then I will not post any more in this thread (for now). My intention was definitely not to have my own personal gallery in one thread (thanks woody and Ed to chip in). If there really is no interest of my thread, then it dies a natural death and everyone can again concentrate on the huge generic image thread.
Dan let me address the complete front page setup on how the forum is designed. First in 35mm we have that split up into OEM categories , canon/Nikon/Sony Etc. which by far are very popular forums. But on the same handle did not do this in lets say small sensor forum with all the brands listed as forum titles. We also did not do this with 4/3rds forum either with Oly, Pana etc. Obviously by the time we did all that the front end on this forum would be like reading war and peace.

MF forum it has been grouped as one just like many others here. Now lets think about this a thread with Tech cams makes sense SINCE the title of it is images, which the thread intention is to show images. Please tell me if your showing images what makes any difference if this image is shot from a Alpa , Arca or Cambo. Linhof, Sinar absolutely none. We all use the same lenses. So on image threads it makes no sense if we are talking images. Now if your talking technology, function and the use of a Alpa than a thread on that makes perfect sense since it is about Alpa products.

Now thinking about this we put the S2 images in the leica forum. We should have the Pentax 645 in the same Pentax forum and guess what am going to move it , since now i realize that was a mistake for not doing it in the first place. Its a Pentax it goes in Pentax.

Alpa , Arca, Cambo and others go under MF. Just like Oly, Pana etc go under 4/3rds. This forum was built around sensor sizes more as the headliners.

Now that is how it should be. On your Alpa image thread in my opinion makes zero sense as than we will have Cambo, Arca etc and than every other area that is grouped people will follow suit with Oly,Pana threads. Bottom line you won't find anything we start doing that. This is NOT a personal affront this is keeping this site organized and efficient. I hope this makes sense but this is how the forum was originally intended to be and we like to keep it organized. I just can't see having 150 OEM image threads as beneficial to that end. This is how I feel and Jack may have another opinion on this but this is how him and I envisioned this site to start with. We WILL make changes to this site but it needs to make sense. This does not. Guy