The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

dick

Graham,

In other words, a view camera with asymmetrical tilt and swing axis and a "2-point" tilt/swing possibility with the 1st point in the desired focus plane set in focus, then tilt or swing until a 2nd point in the desired sharpness plane gets sharp while the 1st point remains in focus (because lying in the tilt/swing axis) is the only solution for a methodic and fast setting.

This cannot be obtained with a "tech" camera. But IMO, it is not necessary:

Best regards
Thierry
...so Thierry, what are your definitions of "Tech" and "View" cameras?

I am thinking about making a rigid view camera, giving the standard to standard rigidity of the modern "Tech" cameras with the movements of a "proper" (monorail) view camera.

gero

Just finished looking through this thread and it is very interesting to me what it is being done here.

Thierry

Thanks Dan!

I was not "in town" at that time, but the other members of the team were not far away: as you know, the offices of Alpa are a 15 min walk away from the place you have taken the photography.

Your greetings are much appreciated.

Thanks and best regards from the whole Alpa team
Thierry

GREETINGS to the Alpa team in Zurich! I was 'in town' yesterday for a quick walk in the citycentre, absolutely no time for visiting, but I thought I send you a typical postcard photograph here instead :)

I made i few handheld snapshots, this one 1/125 at f8 and 100iso. As you can see in the corners, no centrefilter on the 35 XL, but I quite like that sometimes...

Thierry

Dear Dick,

For me, "view camera" = front standard + rear standard + bellows in-between + lens, the whole on a rail and with shift/tilt/swing movements.

But this can be argued.

Best regards
Thierry

...so Thierry, what are your definitions of "Tech" and "View" cameras?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'd agree with Thierry.

By convention, a "technical camera" has a rigid body connecting the front and rear standards, where a "view camera" has independent front and rear standards connected by a bar (referred to as the optical bench) and made light-tight with a flexible bellows between the standards. The view camera could have all or limited movements at either end. Intermediate to these were the "press camera" which was basically a folding view camera with the standards connected via a flat bed, still light-tight via a bellows.

Cheers,

Shashin

Technical camera referred to metal flat-bed cameras that had front and rear movements like the models from Linhof and Wista. Technical cameras are view cameras which is a large category. Monorail camera is one type of view camera (Sinar, Horseman, Cambo) as is flat-bed cameras, which technical cameras fall under, is another (Deardoff, Wista, Wisner). The technical cameras from Alpa and Arca Swiss is just a new camera design that has been named as a technical camera. Can an Alpa camera like the TC that has no movements be a technical camera? Alpa thinks so, but it is a rather weak claim. The Techno would fall under the category of technical camera.

With great appreciation I have been quietly listening to people here and watching nice images go by.
Dan, you do a mighty fine job!
Robert

dick

I'd agree with Thierry.

By convention, a "technical camera" has a rigid body connecting the front and rear standards, where a "view camera" has independent front and rear standards connected by a bar (referred to as the optical bench) and made light-tight with a flexible bellows between the standards. The view camera could have all or limited movements at either end. Intermediate to these were the "press camera" which was basically a folding view camera with the standards connected via a flat bed, still light-tight via a bellows.

Cheers,
Thanks, Jack... so it seems that there is no clearly defined definition, and the term is miss-used by manufacturers that should know better?

Would I get shot if I posted a bellows-camera picture on this topic?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks, Jack... so it seems that there is no clearly defined definition, and the term is miss-used by manufacturers that should know better?

Would I get shot if I posted a bellows-camera picture on this topic?
Hey that may start a new craze. Be careful they don't make them anymore. Lol

danlindberg

Thanks Thierry and Olderthandirt :)

I am mighty impressed by the Schneider 120/5.6 N. Not easy to see on a web image, but it really is razorsharp.

Alpa SWA | SK 120 | f11 | 1/60 | iso 25 | 20mm rise | Two vertical stitch