Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical Camera Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Technical Camera Images

Too bad the blue car is so oof...

Just kidding, swing will do that to you, but it sure is good for the side of the building! Nice job, especially hand-held, and great example
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What the blue car was a Porche when I started what can I say. LOL

Little tricky doing swings and tilt handheld no doubt.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan, I like the image and the suggested title "Tired, rundown, and deflated? Not been a Goodyear"; great contrast (in many ways). Charles

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You read my mind. Been thinking the same thing of converting my 35 into a TS. I actually like the 35mm lens a lot. My only bitch if I have one is using the CF all the time. But I truly believe that is the price to pay for having a effective 22mm in your bag that is small. I need to test a little more on shifting with it to see where it falls apart but lets be really honest here , how much are you going to shift a 22mm effective lens , maybe stretch it to a 18mm lens so that maybe only a 10mm stitch either way. MORE important than anything and I have said this before don't care if your shooting landscape, interiors or whatever once you level up the cam rise and fall are the most important assists to tech cams. EVERY shot I did had either one in it. Even handheld with a swing on one shot i raised the lens so my horizontal was NOT dead in the middle of the frame.

We really need to think on how we use these lenses. I think we get to wrapped up in other areas and not think about the actual needs you have. Rise and fall to me is the reason to have a tech cam in the first place outside the quality of the glass. Sure stitching is great and useful but with really wide lenses I have question marks there.

Now if I had a 180 back this lens i would NOT use as it just is too limited from what I have seen. 180 users would be better off with the Rodie 40 or SK 43mm. The Rodie 32mm may work better also for 180 users. For 160 users and the 6 micron sensors the 35mm works nice if you keep it within its limits.
    Guy just noticed your comments regarding the 35mm and thought I'd post my experience using it. I have a Schneider 35mm with CF and have found that while I could have larger movements than 10mm I've tended not to exceed that mark. I also found the closer to 15mm the worse it got to the point of being unusable.

I know that I can get 10mm for my 35, 15mm for my 72 and 20 for the 120. Just takes time, testing and practice.

While not having any empirical data with the 180 I tend to agree that the 180 and 35mm might not be suited for what I do. That said until I learn differently the next back upgrade for me will be the 160.

I do like the idea of converting the 35. Maybe we can get a group discount....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Guy just noticed your comments regarding the 35mm and thought I'd post my experience using it. I have a Schneider 35mm with CF and have found that while I could have larger movements than 10mm I've tended not to exceed that mark. I also found the closer to 15mm the worse it got to the point of being unusable.

I know that I can get 10mm for my 35, 15mm for my 72 and 20 for the 120. Just takes time, testing and practice.

While not having any empirical data with the 180 I tend to agree that the 180 and 35mm might not be suited for what I do. That said until I learn differently the next back upgrade for me will be the 160.

I'd be very interested in hearing about user experience with the Rodie 28, 32 and 40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Campbell View Post
    I'd be very interested in hearing about user experience with the Rodie 28, 32 and 40.
    Well, I have not shot the 32 or 28 myself, but I can say with certainty, I really like the Rodie 40 HR-W. Awesome sharp optic with generous IC even on the IQ180 -- max shift while maintaining good IQ in the corner is about 17-18mm.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack & Cs750
    Shashin, indeed, tired is the word

This one on a slightly more serious note with a title of: "Old & broken"

SWA SK 72L 1/125 f8,5 iso 50 no shift
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glacier Point with smoke in the air - finished image
    rm3di SK72 IQ180 f/11 apx 7mm fall

-bob
    Last edited by Bob; 14th September 2011 at 07:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Thanks Jack & Cs750
    Shashin, indeed, tired is the word

This one on a slightly more serious note with a title of: "Old & broken"

SWA SK 72L 1/125 f8,5 iso 50 no shift
    Nice, love the composition.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob!

Was the detailes pulled from the one image at Glacier Point or did you make two exposures? Amazing DR if only one exposure....

Great image!
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on Facebook

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

nice shot Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bob!

Was the detailes pulled from the one image at Glacier Point or did you make two exposures? Amazing DR if only one exposure....

Great image!
    Thanks!
    That was a single image processed twice in C1, then layered and tweaked.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob, what were the details -- lens, rise, fall, tilt?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this is a test from your friendly system administrator. Nice pic, Bob!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, Jack, Guy, Bob, Dan, and others...these images really get the creative juices flowing and keep this thread alive. Thanks! Incidently, Dan, the lady in the bottom corner of the window adds a nice touch! These images make me want to get out there....but family responsibilities call...maybe next week. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Bob, what were the details -- lens, rise, fall, tilt?
    I added them to the post
    -bob

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    this is a test from your friendly system administrator. Nice pic, Bob!
    He lives and breaths.

Yes folks the man with the real power here. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post

Don - I now have quite a bit of experience with the SK 35 XL and an IQ 180.

Without shifts: color cast is evident but very well controlled with an lcc, particularly with the new version of C1. Hand held I apply only a small amount (say 30%) of correction for light fall off - it's part of the very wide look. If you care about fall off you need a center filter and this is going to put you on a tripod. Wide open there is major loss of accutance as you move toward the edge of the frame. The issue with this lens is curvature of field. If you follow Arca's recommendation and shoot at f11 this is not an issue, except perhaps in the last two or three mm in the corners - and that's debatable. Arca, btw, recommends that you shoot essentially all of the lenses on its list at f11.

With the IQ 180 shifting takes you out of this lens's sweet spot with the first couple of mm. Both falling MTF and extreme color shifts come into play.

I'm using the 35 XL primarily on an Alpa TC to make a high end point and shoot so the shifting issue doesn't matter to me. I use my SK 47 when I need to shift or stitch.

I like the way the 35 XL renders a lot. There is almost no geometric distortion. Bokeh is attractive (actually an issue because of the very large sensor) - transition to out of focus is gentle and there are no wild effects. The compact package is very attractive to me.

This lens reminds me of the original Leica 35mm Lux asph. I love both lenses but there is an aspect that drives me nuts (curvature of field in the case of the SK and focus shift in the case of Leica). Leica made a new version - it would be great if SK did the same.

I asked the question about the Rodie 28 and 32 hoping to learn whether they are possible alternatives - the MTFs suggest that accutance falls off a lot as you reach the edge of the IQ 180 image circle, but R doesn't publish MTFs at f11 so its hard to tell. R's data sheets recommend these lenses only with smaller, lower res backs.

BTW, love your images. Thanks for posting them.

Post Thanks / Like

I post some kind of different pictures than the very beautiful ones already posted.
    Those really are not perfect, but I like them because I was expecting nothing from them: they were taken with a Cambo WRS + SK35mm + P40+.
    This was my very first time urban shooting with this kit, handholding it, guessing the exposure and most of all guessing the framing (no viewfinder at all). Most were taken at f8-11 and 1/60 with iso 100 to 200 if needed. No rise/fall (apart from fall on the last one, with no LCC correction). Not standing behind the camera but above, watching the bubble levels and the photographed subjects (eyes into eyes) was an interesting experience. People were finding my attitude and camera rather strange and it gave a different look to some pictures.

In the end it was fun to use (my Pana GH2 stayed in the bag) and even more fun discovering the results back home on the computer. Maybe a sort of digital pleasure similar to the old days of analog paper development in the lab ?

Few samples here:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't know there was such a thing....a "perfect" picture. Enjoyed the images anGy. They look better than mine shot on a tripod. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK here we go, my first "real" images off my arTec using the Sinar 135mm lens, F11 maybe 15mm shift Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI

First snowfall up in Telluride, still no fall colors yet.

Steven

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I avoided this thread for a bit because I was working on some Kenya images. So much good work here. I miss my tech camera. Time to go out shooting and show it some love.
    Last edited by Bob; 18th September 2011 at 04:13.

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice Kuau! Wish I had that scenery here......

I've been at a farm for three days doing nothing but relaxing, but couldn't resist put the camera over my shoulder for a half hour walk. The light was soft and the green seemed greener than normal. The green in this image is not at all tweaked, love that colour.

SWA SK 120N 1/30 f8 iso 50 no shift (did not nail focus until fourth try )

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Kuau, Dan, really nice.

Here's something new: City of Rocks, Idaho
    Cambo, 35XL, 10mm rise.
    Jamie

http://jamesbourret.photoshelter.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Jamie, unique shot! Any filters?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thrice View Post
    Wow Jamie, unique shot! Any filters?
    Beautiful color and image - I'm pretty sure that Jamie primarily used an 'alarm clock' filter for the flat light - it works well but boy does it catch up with you.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan - great series of shots.

AnGy - nice 'reportage' style.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Beautiful color and image - I'm pretty sure that Jamie primarily used an 'alarm clock' filter for the flat light - it works well but boy does it catch up with you.
    Daniel, Graham,
    Thank you. A 3-stop soft GND was used, in addition to a centerfilter on the SK 35XL. Graham, you'll have to explain 'alarm clock', I haven't heard that before. The foreground light was growing flat, but there was still a soft glow on the rocks, and obviously the clouds were still well lit, hence the need for the GND.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jamie.

As you know, if you want drama, great light, impressive saturated colour then you either need to be there either early or late because it doesn't typically happen at 'convenient' times of the day. Hence, the 'alarm clock' filter.

Btw, did you process an LCC with this? The bottom left seems to have a blue cast.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Graham, thanks for the explanation. And yes, in my haste I had processed in C1 w/o using an LCC. Subsequently I've reprocessed the raw w/ the proper LCC, and redone my adjustments in LR3. I'm much happier with that version.

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The only thing rare about Olmstead point is getting a picture of that lone tree without somebody sitting on the rock next to it.

Hi
    Guy, Jack, Terry and Bob:
    Great pictures. Having the honor to be in last year's yosemite workshop I took this picture at Olmstead point. Was not shot with Technical Camera but I Like this Guy in the picture and believe gave more value to the shot.
    --------------
    Manouch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shot Manouch, regardless of camera -- but everybody should know that Guy has lost quite a few pounds since that trip!!!
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Manouch - great "hearing" from you. Great trip. Hope all is well.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jamie, This shot is outstanding, i like the composition and the colors, well done!
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tareq!

Post Thanks / Like

Casual walk on the beach with the SWA and SK 72 L.

Handheld Guesstimate focus 1/60 f8 iso 50 no shifts

Post Thanks / Like

This one was on Sunday with the family out on a picnic

Main exposure was measured straight into the sky and underexposed half a stop. Then there is a second exposure to blend the foreground carefully, just to get the shadows visible.

Post Thanks / Like

Great shot(s), as usual Dan, but am sure your family wasn't that happy of the last one and certainly asked you why you had spent so much money for not even being able to distinguish the faces.

Thierry

This one was on Sunday with the family out on a picnic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Newport Ri has an endless supply of wonderful photographic opportunities.
    I am new to the Arca Swiss RM3DI; here is an image I took today with a 72mm lens, f11, ISO 50 1/30 sec

Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

What not to do with a tech cam:
    I was out scouting color this morning, equipped only with the Cambo and one lens, a 35. I guess you make do with what you've got.
    Jamie

http://jamesbourret.photoshelter.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not sure what it is that you should not do....but the image look good to me. I enjoyed seeing it. I guess you are thinking one should not go out with just one lens, but I suspect you might get some debate about that. Thanks for posting. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2jbourret View Post
    What not to do with a tech cam:
    I was out scouting color this morning, equipped only with the Cambo and one lens, a 35. I guess you make do with what you've got.
    Jamie,

Very nice and pastoral.

I think that we need a real challenge now though for unlikely scenes for a tech camera shot! Has anyone got any sports shots taken with their technical camera?
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Charles, what I really meant by that was that for me, it doesn't really work to shoot ANYTHING that moves, other than water, with the tech cam. To make matters worse, all I had with me was a wide lens. There's been a lot of cropping done to arrive at this image. It's really rare here to see a moose, especially a bull, so I just couldn't pass it up.
    Thanks for the comments!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Technical Camera Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2jbourret View Post
    Great shot! now if you'd captured that with the Cambo I'd be in awe ...
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Casual walk on the beach with the SWA and SK 72 L.

Handheld • Guesstimate focus • 1/60 • f8 • iso 50 • no shifts

Dan, yet another great shot. Simple, clear, exquisite composition, very much your signature style I think. Ditto the family group shot.

Love to see more ...
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Around 7:15 tonight out down the street from me in Telluride.
    arTec, 135mm F8, 1 second

Steven

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry, no way I can shoot 'normal' portraits. I have tried, but when I am finished with all the fiddling, the subject is about 2 km away.....

Graham, thanks, simplicity is what usually draws me into an image. In my workshops I talk more about excluding rather than including in the search for interesting comps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan....Graham's description: "Simple, clear, exquisite composition, very much your signature style" nails the essence of your style; it's a style which I find very appealing. Do you have a workflow summary for the art of "excluding"? Charles
    Last edited by cs750; 29th September 2011 at 04:27. Reason: incomplete thought

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jamie, a few seconds after posting my comment on your image it dawned on me how silly my comments were in not realizing the problems of trying to get that shot with a technical camera; a great job. Sometimes I am just plain slow like a technical camera! Charles