Thread: Technical Camera Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Technical Camera Images

After rain in Nam Sang Wai - HK

Alpa STC Aptus II 10R With Rode 40.

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Location, location, location.

Oh, and of course timing, timing timing

Schneider APO-Digitar 6.8/210, ALPA Max, IQ180
    Likes 17 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bridge to ShunZhun Wan - HK

Last edited by miketclaw; 16th May 2014 at 08:34. Reason: seperate two pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Central District - HK

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    A sample image from a new art series from me. Actually shot with the fat pixel back Aptus II 5 by choice.

Dan this is fantastic! ACH
    www.achdigital.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Dan this is fantastic! ACH
    Thank you Antonio I'm trying to find a good printer in southern Spain and this one is my test image for the Aptus II5!
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

El Camino del Rey in El Chorro is a remarkable pathway built on the side of a vertical mountain.
    El Camino del Rey [High Quality] - YouTube
    It is totally forbidden to walk it because it is falling apart and has been for the past decades. Yet, people jump fences and follow traintracks to 'have done it'. There are several falls/deaths every year and I have stood on the edge of it just to feel sick and promise myself never ever even to consider it. However, they have officially started to renovate it and the plan is to make it safe and in certain places have a glasfloor and make it into a tourist attraction.

This image was shot safely on the ground using the FPS & MAX in combination. The Schneider 120 N has a large imagecircle that allowed me to first put a 6mm rise and then flatstitch horizontally 12mm left and 12mm right.

Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

El Camino del Rey in El Chorro is a remarkable pathway built on the side of a vertical mountain.
    It is totally forbidden to walk it because it is falling apart and has been for the past decades.
    I've watched several videos of folks doing this extreme hike and every time it's sphincter clenching. What's scary is that this from the 1930's for maintenance of the dam but it's never been maintained. Darwinism is strongly at work with the thrill seekers who take that scramble!

Nice image btw. It seems like a location where you really need to keep your wits about you and watch your step.

Btw, it strikes me that if they were really concerned about safety then they could solve it instantly with a few sticks of dynamite.
    Ylem ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Puuuuuh

Sorry to say , but I still have weak knees and feel a bit sick after looking at the YOU TUBE video .

Good to know , that this is not a must for photographers .

An interesting image .
    Regards . Jόrgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3 images stitched on Arca Swiss R3MDI with H5D50 back, Rodie 32 with one degree tilt
    Stanley
    Last edited by stngoldberg; 1st June 2014 at 08:22.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an image from two days ago.

Linhof Techno, Leaf Aptus 75 at ISO50 20 seconds, Schneider Digitar 90mm at f/22, 15mm vertical shift. Despite the large vertical shift I had to tilt the camera forward too to get the framing I wanted, and then to hide the distortion and make the off-center trees stand upright the camera actually has a minor amount of roll, enough to control the perspective but not too much to actually make it visible that the camera is not perfectly horizontal.

f/22 and 20 seconds is not an image quality raiser but this composition which lack distant details will enlarge very well despite some diffraction resolution loss, and 20 seconds is not too bad with the Aptus especially in the weather that was a little bit chilly. So I made a one-shot image instead of stacking, I generally prefer one-shot images and rather compromise with resolution unless the composition absolutely requires the highest resolution.

This is actually the second try. An advantage of shooting local is that if you make mistakes you often get a chance to redo it. I could not wait for long though, as it's spring and the water level is rising.

It's shot after sunset. It was a wonderful sunset with some nice red light falling onto the trees, but I had a clear view of how this image should be and it should not be any direct sunlight in it. I think that images can suffer from adding too many beautiful elements to them, I prefer to scale away so you get more focus on what's in the picture.

The shooting location is actually a man-made isthmus, waste bits from the production of an old lumber mill was put on a sandbank in the river, and then a thin layer of soil put on top and trees started growing (planted I guess). Along the edges where the waves roll in there's erosion and you see the underlying pieces of wood sticking out, naked roots and trees that are about fall.

I often search for geometrical elements and like the play between man-made structures and the mix of chaos and order in nature. This image contains all this and I'm very pleased with the result.
    Last edited by torger; 21st May 2014 at 00:33.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is totally forbidden to walk it because it is falling apart and has been for the past decades. Yet, people jump fences and follow traintracks to 'have done it'. There are several falls/deaths every year and I have stood on the edge of it just to feel sick and promise myself never ever even to consider it. However, they have officially started to renovate it and the plan is to make it safe and in certain places have a glasfloor and make it into a tourist attraction.
    It is not so bad. With all that water down there, you are bound to have a soft landing...eventually. It is not the fall that kills you. It is the sudden stop at the end.

What I thought was funny is all the holes in the concrete walkway. Everybody is looking down and feeling frightened. But those hole are cause by falling rocks. You really want to be looking up. Still, if they fix that walkway, it would be an awesome hike.

Post Thanks / Like

Crossing the bridge.

Likes 26 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking of Camino and crossing; I just drove El Camino Del Diablo between Ajo and Yuma in southern Arizona.
    It's an historic 250 miles trail which runs through some of the most remote and arid terrain of the Sonoran Desert.
    Believed to have been in use for at least a 1000 years today it is mostly used by US Border Patrol as most of it runs very close to the border to Mexico which gives some problems with illegal crossing.
    Some of the original trail was in Mexico but that part is mostly gone. The portion you can drive in the US is about 120 miles long which took me a total of 11 hours of slow four wheel crawling on sand, rocks, lava and dried up mud flats. Of course stopping to shoot all the time didn't help ;-)
    I met a total of one (1) other vehicle besides two (2) US Border Patrols on the entire journey.

As you can see the vultures are ready and just waiting patiently for me to die :-)

Ohh and who said you can't shoot wildlife with a tech cam and wide angle.

Cambo WRS, IQ160 and Rodie 40HR.

Last edited by Pemihan; 26th May 2014 at 04:56.
    Peter
    My website
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crossing the bridge.

Dan , what a stunning image .
    Thank you for posting .
    Regards . Jόrgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Dan , what a stunning image .
    Thank you for posting .
    Thank you very much. I'm pleased with this one and it actually gave me an injection with inspiration and several ideas are circulating in my head..

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday Sunrise, the Peak, Hong Kong
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Rodenstock | Schneider | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Driving around Tiverton Rhode Island this morning with my Arca RM3DI attached to my H5D50 back. Great light and an area that is rich with images. This one with my Rodie 32
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few miles down the road-same setup
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A little trespassing in Tiverton, Rhode Island. It was 6:30 AM and I assume the owners were still sleeping
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

72mm Schneider lens on Arca RM3DI with Hasselblad back
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

72mm Schneider lens on Arca Swiss
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Lau Fau Shan, Hong Kong
    Alpa Max - Alpagon HR32 - IQ260
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Rodenstock | Schneider | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shot with Rayyen at the same loction using a loaned IQ250.

Lau fau shan by By Yat Lee, on Flickr
    Yat

www.flickr.com/yatlee

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heres one from last fall in Utah
    Sinar arTec Leaf AFI II 33

Steven

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

More fun with the Achromatic+

Post Thanks / Like

So Gerald,
    Would you share some of the capture and processing detail? You obviously have an IR-like result. Did you filter during capture or was this all done in post? I've been wondering about either an achromatic or the Leica Monochrom, but am wondering about post color flexibility with the luminance-only data.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    So Gerald,
    Would you share some of the capture and processing detail? You obviously have an IR-like result. Did you filter during capture or was this all done in post? I've been wondering about either an achromatic or the Leica Monochrom, but am wondering about post color flexibility with the luminance-only data.

Dave
    Hi Dave -

This was shot with a #87 IR filter. In C1, contrast maxed out at 50, and the levels adjusted (black to 11, white to 221).

Working with IR shots is interesting. I'm usually not a fan of manipulating in post too much, but since the eye can't see IR, I feel I have a lot more freedom to push things around a lot

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I normally just post in the other thread, I've always felt unless there was an element of the capture made possible by the technical camera itself, the forum is about the MFDB. I'm far from an expert on technical camera technique so most of the images I shoot with the tech camera really have nothing unique about using one and could have easily been done with my DF. Finally I have one that does have something do with using the arca, I am actually beginning to get the hang of using tilt. I wasn't much of a live view fan when the IQ180 came out, but after adapting a variable neutral density filter that pops onto all my lenses very easily, and using a pair of 3.5 reading glasses, I've found it's quite manageable. every thing sharp in this from close flowers to the tops of the mountains (can't really tell that from this web jpeg), all in 1 shot.

arca swiss rm3di, Rodenstock 40mm, 1/30th at f/13, ISO 35 (with some tilt and shift, don't remember what they were)

Post Thanks / Like

Hartblei HCam mod 1 with behind the lens R720 filter
    Canon TS-E 17mm 5mm up shifted
    P45+ full spektrum convertet

Not the best day for IR, but i still enjoy the result.
    Kind regards
    Pascal
    visit me at www.kabraxis.de or http://www.flickr.com/photos/kabraxis/
    My ebay stuff
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    I normally just post in the other thread, I've always felt unless there was an element of the capture made possible by the technical camera itself, the forum is about the MFDB. I'm far from an expert on technical camera technique so most of the images I shoot with the tech camera really have nothing unique about using one and could have easily been done with my DF. Finally I have one that does have something do with using the arca, I am actually beginning to get the hang of using tilt. I wasn't much of a live view fan when the IQ180 came out, but after adapting a variable neutral density filter that pops onto all my lenses very easily, and using a pair of 3.5 reading glasses, I've found it's quite manageable. every thing sharp in this from close flowers to the tops of the mountains (can't really tell that from this web jpeg), all in 1 shot.

arca swiss rm3di, Rodenstock 40mm, 1/30th at f/13, ISO 35 (with some tilt and shift, don't remember what they were)
    Very nice shot!!!
    Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shot, Jimban!

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya 300/2.8 + 2X converter
    FPS
    IQ250

Damn tough shot with this glass (that's the full frame). Hopefully tomorrow morning I should get decent light on the Burj al Arab and finally nail it

Post Thanks / Like

I was hiking into an old forest for a couple of days last weekend, testing my new outdoor gear, a new tent, backpack and carrying all my medium format gear and supplies. It became 28 kg / 62 lbs in total, probably possible to shave off a few pounds, but I'm glad I'm still in pretty good shape

I was not so fortunate with weather, a lot of rain and some wind too. Good testing conditions though, raising the tent in rain, and getting in and out from it and keeping the gear and me as dry as possible.

Rain is not all bad though, in the damp forest the colors sparkle, especially late in the evening with air light.

The attached image actually has no particular saturation / contrast enhancing post-processing, it's a good representation of the eye's experience at the site. Late in the evening the forest greens really jumped at me, and the wood became darker from being wet, naturally enhancing the contrast.

Technically this was a compromise shot. The branches was spreading too much to be able to capture them all in focus. I tilted for the green floor, aiming a bit high in the far end and increased to f/22 to not get a too strong out of focus effect on the closest branches. I'm quite pleased with this compromise. Being late and shooting f/22 I had to push the Aptus back to its 30 second limit.

Linhof Techno, Leaf Aptus 75, SK Digitar 120mm, tilt, f/22, 30 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

Bromeliads
    ALPA Max + SK 120mm Macro + 34mm Adapter x2 + P45

"Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very striking Darr; would you be willing to describe your post processing for this image?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

a museum in progress...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Very striking Darr; would you be willing to describe your post processing for this image?

Tom
    Thank you Tom!

The image was shot in the studio under diffused lighting. The size of the plant photographed is approximately 2" deep by 3" wide. It took 37 images at f/11 to get the depth of field I wanted. The images were then processed through Helicon Focus (HF). The HF processed image was brought into Lightroom (LR) where initial exposure and color adjustments were made. Then Topaz Clarity for contrast adjustment and Topaz ReStyle for color modification. Then back into LR for perspective and crop adjustments. Finally off to PS for slight diffusion via Color Efex.
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ramadan Kareem from Dubai

Mamiya 300/2.8 at f/4.
    1/6 second
    ISO 400
    ALPA FPS
    IQ250

Full frame
    Last edited by gerald.d; 29th June 2014 at 10:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Thank you Tom!

The image was shot in the studio under diffused lighting. The size of the plant photographed is approximately 2" deep by 3" wide. It took 37 images at f/11 to get the depth of field I wanted. The images were then processed through Helicon Focus (HF). The HF processed image was brought into Lightroom (LR) where initial exposure and color adjustments were made. Then Topaz Clarity for contrast adjustment and Topaz ReStyle for color modification. Then back into LR for perspective and crop adjustments. Finally off to PS for slight diffusion via Color Efex.

Darr
    Quite a job you have done here . Very interesting .
    Thanks for sharing .
    Regards . Jόrgen .

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Setting up like this

Resulted in this

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Ramadan Kareem from Dubai

Mamiya 300/2.8 at f/4.
    1/6 second
    ISO 400
    ALPA FPS
    IQ250

Full frame
    Just Wow!

Post Thanks / Like

early Sat AM - refinery in East Chicago. 47XL on Leaf AFI II 7.
    Geoff

www.gigi-photos.com

Post Thanks / Like

couple more

Post Thanks / Like

A crop (50% resolution) from an earlier shot that evening.

What I like about this one is that the Earth shine is just about visible.

Apologies - I got the exposure wrong in that last post, it was 0.7 seconds. This one was at 1/6th, everything else the same.

One slight difference is that this one was focused on the Moon, whereas the other one was focused on the building. Doesn't make a lot of difference at web resolution, but very clear at 100%.

Lightweight Gitzo tripod, Arca-Swiss Cube. Camera and lens both mounted to a rail. There has been some debate about the FPS's ability to do slow shutter speeds without the shutter vibration ruining things - hopefully this shows that it is possible!

Post Thanks / Like

Don, your photo of "setting up like this" reminds me of was it Graham while we were in Carmel who was lying on the ground to achieve the camera angle he desired? I'm headed up to Carmel tomorrow to shoot for the weekend, many of the same locations we previously shot with Ken and your "Pigs in a Blanket" tour.

Two years ago I shot with Jennifer Wu, a Canon Explorer of Light, who constantly reminded me to consider the angles from lying on the ground to standing on a ladder, log, or rock. I'll be doing most of these this weekend. Happy 4th!

Post Thanks / Like

Sunset, the Peak, Hong Kong

Aptus II 10R with Alpa STC Rode 40mm & Schneider 120mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Lau Fau Shan, Hong Kong

Aptus II 10R with Alpa STC Rode 40mm & Schneider 120mm.