Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 80 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Technical Camera Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Technical Camera Images

Quote Originally Posted by cs750 View Post

I call this one "New Hampshire Blue". It is probably too blue for most tastes...but I am posting it anyway! RM3di, 23 mm Rodenstock, IQ180. I am not sure about the other settings; they were probably: ISO 35, 3s, f11 with no movements. The sky was cropped slightly to get the horizon off center. Charles
    Charles,

You are definitely getting the hang of composing with an uber-wide lens, KUDO's! Just so folks are aware, the 23 on FF MF is roughly equivalent to a 15mm rectilinear projection on 35mm DSLR. However, with MF, at least to my eyes, that extreme wide projection is more believable than it is from a DSLR. Anyway, impressive work Charles, especially considering you only had the lens for a day when these were taken!

Jealous (and drooling) in California ( ),
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, thanks for your very kind comments; if I take enough photos there are always a few I can process with pride. I must say I am excited about technical cameras in general and the RM3di in particular. I still have workflow issues (including getting my gear arranged functionally for travel); I am not convinced that I have each of my lenses calibrated in with the best off sets, but I do like the slower approach to photography. The instruction you and Rod have given during the New England Workshop has really been helpful. Also, the input of Guy and Rob has caused me to "see" more carefully before clicking the shutter. I leave Saturday morning for Arizona for 19 days and my goal is to get my workflow and gear down, fine tune my lens calibrations (off sets), experiment with each lens, and enjoy a nice slow pace. If I can bring back a few good images that will be icing on the cake. I am very high on the 23 mm Rodenstock (haven't shot the 150 mm yet!); I think the 23 will teach me a lot about where I want to go with my other lenses. Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Charles - nice shot and location.

I'm wondering whether you had the end of the path in the center of uncropped shot because it looks like you perhaps had the same pink center flare that Ed Cooley exhibited with his 23mm HR shot?? It's hard to tell obviously with small web images:
    I'm finding many of my HR23 images have some color cast in the very center. I am convinced it is light bouncing off the sensor and getting reflected in the darkest part of the center filter. Images with the light source predominately from behind me or flatter light don't have near the problem.

I ordered a hot shoe shade clamp and will try that but even if there is bright clouds in the scene I am getting the magenta cast. The only way I am getting rid of the cast entirely is to take a blending exposure with my hand cupped around the lens. Otherwise, I am finding it difficult to correct the color cast in post without getting negative artifacts.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions on correcting or eliminating the flare, I would appreciate the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed, my experience is limited, but the only times I have gotten the magenta cast has been in a wooded canopy or river bed where light seems to be reflecting from both overhead openings and from multiple water sources. I will post an uncropped image taken with the 23mm & Rodenstock center filter. I had similar issues with the Rodenstock 40mm which seemed to be "cured" with a compendium shade (without a center filter); however, the center filter on the 23mm is too large to work with the compendium shade that I am currently using. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New Hampshire Reflections (23mm, RM3di, IQ180, Center Filter, No Lens Shade, Uncropped) Charles

Post Thanks / Like

I've been working on an art project with a forthcoming exhibition. High contrast black & white with blown highs and pitch black in the other end. I will not show all the images I have done but I thought I could give you a teaser and a sample of style for this series.

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

very nice, Dan

how goes the printing and what size?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx

Actually, material is not decided yet. The reason being that I am so used to print 100x70cm on artcanvas and wrap on stretchers that I was thinking of doing something else this time.
    I have my own 44" printer so experimentation is possible...

I am thinking maybe a matt paper of smaller size, 50x70cm print and then a rather large passpartout and frame with glas and a smallish black wooden frame. It would be new for me, but think this series would be nice in this kind of presentation. We'll see....
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cs750 View Post
    Jack, thanks for your very kind comments; if I take enough photos there are always a few I can process with pride. I must say I am excited about technical cameras in general and the RM3di in particular. I still have workflow issues (including getting my gear arranged functionally for travel); I am not convinced that I have each of my lenses calibrated in with the best off sets, but I do like the slower approach to photography. The instruction you and Rod have given during the New England Workshop has really been helpful. Also, the input of Guy and Rob has caused me to "see" more carefully before clicking the shutter. I leave Saturday morning for Arizona for 19 days and my goal is to get my workflow and gear down, fine tune my lens calibrations (off sets), experiment with each lens, and enjoy a nice slow pace. If I can bring back a few good images that will be icing on the cake. I am very high on the 23 mm Rodenstock (haven't shot the 150 mm yet!); I think the 23 will teach me a lot about where I want to go with my other lenses. Charles

Charles if you need me when here give me a call. Just trying to catch up with everything here , got in late last night and my laundry list is huge at the moment. But I have not even looked at what i shot yet. Its driving me nuts as it is on the list but pretty far down it. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, thanks. I understand about the laundry list. I had to steal time from other things to process anything from the New England Workshop when I should have been doing other things. Now, I am paying the piper trying to get everything done before leaving in the morning. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I bumped it up at least for one right now feeling left out of the mix here. LOL

Shot with a Cambo and pretty sure this was with a 43 XL TS lens with a good amount of tilt on it. About 2 second exposure.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

one more for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, great color and mist rising from the water. I desperately tried to get those same images while having focusing problems. I later that night discovered that a spacer to the 150 mm lens stayed in my camera and then I screwed a 72 mm lens in on top of that spacer leaving everything blurred. I fiddled with it just long enough to miss the shots. I knew that could happen, but it did not occur to me what had happened until after evening meal. Talk about learning my lesson...it is one I will not forget! Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes sometimes the hard knocks pays off in not doing things again. We all have been there for sure. I really like what you posted so far. Just keep plugging away, this stuff takes time and patience. I squeezed these off as i was helping others get their images. The group did good that morning, made my day.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    very nice, Dan

how goes the printing and what size?
    I've sized this as 30x40. Can't print it as yet as I'm in Jackson Hole for the next 2-months although I've already have one print sold. As much as I liked the P45+ I really love the P65+.

I hope to share more later on after I actually take a day off to catch up with the images. I'm taking more handdeld with the addition of the wood grips and shot a buffalo this morning using the Schneider 120mm.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan, Don; my remarks apply to both images and imagers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rodie 23mm 2 seconds

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

That is one wide angle! ND? How many stops?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No ND here. Water was moving really fast. I think I stopped down to about 11.5. Trying to remember what I did. I don't think I had one on , I know I was in a really tough spot on rocks, actually had tripod partly in the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But you likely had the CF mounted which is effectively a 2-1/2-stop cut on the 23, right?
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

from today's session, 43mm sk
    Last edited by jlm; 16th October 2011 at 05:51.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

same area, 70mm Rodie, bit of shift

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this ship was so colorful...43mm, shift

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

other side, 70mm

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

last one for now, 43mm
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    But you likely had the CF mounted which is effectively a 2-1/2-stop cut on the 23, right?
    No CF filter on this so I must have had the ND on. I had to hang it off the rim since the step up ring caused vignetting. Dangling in the wind which I had to do on previous shots.

There where no CF on this workshop for any lenses except my own personal 35mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

This is my favorite. The color bands on the ship's hull, the frayed rope matching one of the color bands, the obvious ship's hull without the entire hull. It just works for me. Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    John,

This is my favorite. The color bands on the ship's hull, the frayed rope matching one of the color bands, the obvious ship's hull without the entire hull. It just works for me. Nice!
    +1 John! Excellent.
    Jack

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perfect John - all of them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3 stitch pano arTec 70mm
    Double RL Ranch (Ralph Lorens Ranch)
    Steven

Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dynamite, Steve!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve,
    That's a stunner. The layers of color are phenomenal. And the Rockies in the background add the exclamation point. Congrats!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thanks for the feedback, always nice to get a response, one more

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alpa Max + SK 47mm xl + IQ 180. About 10mm of rise and 3mm of shift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ALPA STC + HR-DIGARON-W90mm + CFV-50 . No LCC required as there is no visible color cast .

Regards . Jόrgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Jόrgen,

Nice shot. I would however process it a little more dense. Try may be with darkened shadows and mid-tones, it would IMO get a more dramatic feel (if that's what u want), with the high-lights in the sky also not being to bright.

Just my opinion and in no way a negative critic.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    ALPA STC + HR-DIGARON-W90mm + CFV-50 . No LCC required as there is no visible color cast .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry

You must have seen my print .

My jpgs never are the same as my prints . What is the rules to achieve that ?
    Regards . Jόrgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I am still waiting for nice fall colours, non to be found yet....in the meantime I do some graphical black & white.

Alpa SWA • SK 72 L • 1/60 • f8 • 8mm fall

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

other side, 70mm
    John - Lovely series of shots.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thx woody, charlie, nice to hear from you

Post Thanks / Like

This photograph is less than 30 minutes old

Alpa SWA • SK 35 XL • 6 seconds (6,6 stop ND) • f16 • iso 50 • no shift

Post Thanks / Like

Simply breathtaking.

Am usually not a fanatic of square format, but here it works wonderfully.

Love it.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    This photograph is less than 30 minutes old

Alpa SWA • SK 35 XL • 6 seconds (6,6 stop ND) • f16 • iso 50 • no shift

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love it Dan. Belongs on my wall!
    Bill

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    Simply breathtaking.

Am usually not a fanatic of square format, but here it works wonderfully.

Love it.

Thierry
    +1

Dan, I love the simplicity and fabulous composition of your work. Personally I LOVE the square format!
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dan,

+4 or whatever ---- great use of the square and B&W to create a great image!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sedona Apenglow (23 mm)
    There have been some great images posted since leaving on my trip, but little time to comment on each of them. Guy, Dan, and Woody...keep those images coming. Jack, have you put in an order of the 23 mm yet? It has been in the 90s in Sedona, and I am ready for some cooler weather. Washing clothes tonight and heading to the South Rim tomorrow. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm on tech hold waiting for my new Cambo to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Charles,

I have not worked up to pulling the trigger on a 23. Yet...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry, Bill, Graham, Jack - many thanks for your appreciation

Regarding the square format, I was a classic Hasselblad shooter between 1982-1995, so I guess in the very early years I was formed to see square! I still, always have square photographs as an option in my comps.