32HR, arca, 0.25 tilt, IQ380
    Arca Swiss Rm3di | XF | P1 IQ380 |

http://www.awolfphotography.com/
    Likes 29 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Technical Camera Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    Beano,

What is your take on using the 32HR lens? Many photographers here on the forum talk about issues with potential distortion, or unevenness when stitching, but then I see these great pristine images, that make me think that the lens really is capable of rendering some great landscapes without too much post-processing. I am intensely debating right now going with either the 32HR versus the 40HR lens.
    I am thinking that I am leaning towards the 40HR at this time, so that I can avoid using a center filter, or even a LCC, and still stitch together some fine landscapes relatively seamlessly.
    I think I might confuse you even more when I tell you I did not use any centre filter nor shot any LCC's for any of my images. Of course, I don't intend to make any money out of them, so I never was bothered, there are obviously lots of more demanding users who can only accept perfect images. I do run the files through the ALPA lens corrector to straighten things out before stitching, which does help a lot with straight lines, it's a piece of cake in Photoshop, not tedious at all. However, post-processing is required and often lots of it, but my feeling is it's got more to do with my digital back / shooting style than with the lens, I do a similar amount of post processing no matter which lens I use.

From my limited experience, the biggest PITA when using the 32 is filters, like ND's and GND's. The 86mm from by itself is already big, but you'll need to go even bigger when buying filters if you want to keep any margin for shifting (and / or stitching). The 32 is also a much larger and heavier lens than the 40, do keep that in consideration if you already have lots of stuff in your bag already.

Anyway, I guess I've written a lot of stuff which should fit better in another post, if you want to hear more practical experience on the 32 from an amateur shooter, just PM me

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Beano.
    I am debating whether I would want to have the 40mmHR versus the 32mmHR lens as my wide angle lens, but there are certainly pros and cons for these fine lenses. I already have a 50mmHR, but it is a bit of an in-between focal length (still an excellent optic). I do some high mountain hiking and photography, and the idea of another very large lens in my backpack is somewhat painful- I am already at my weight limit. I am leaning towards the 40mm lens, thinking that I could always stitch together a really wide composition when the need arises.
    In any event, before I purchase, I plan to try each lens, as they can be rented from Capture Integration.

Post Thanks / Like

This was made with the IQ140 and Schneider 24mm on a Cambo WRS. Hidden somewhere in the Jumbo Rocks Campground in Joshua Tree National Park. Just made a 30x40 print on canvas. Amazing detail.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COLOR-64.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	954.8 KB 
ID:	115826
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

70HR, Arca, IQ380
    Arca Swiss Rm3di | XF | P1 IQ380 |

http://www.awolfphotography.com/
    Likes 23 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	shrine-stitch-04_shrine-stitch-06-lores.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	115916

Melbourne from the Shrine of Remembrance.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them."

Alpa STC SK 48 Leaf Aptus II-7 3 image stitch with 10mm shift.

Apologies for the whie box...It's a text box with my name which I can't edit for some reason :-(
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A slightly different view of the scene. Same technical as the above image.

Name:	shrine-stitch-13_shrine-stitch-15.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	333.2 KB 
ID:	115926
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

cfv50-c, 32 rodie, bit of shift
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by awolf View Post

70HR, Arca, IQ380
    Great picture of one of our national landmarks :-) It is one of the few buildings that has a company doing an active copyright infringement search for any use without payment :-(
    That building is payed with taxpayers money but the family Waterkeyn (the architect) receives hundreds of thousands of euros for any kind of use of any kind of image from the Atomium.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by H3dtogo View Post
    Great picture of one of our national landmarks :-) It is one of the few buildings that has a company doing an active copyright infringement search for any use without payment :-(
    That building is payed with taxpayers money but the family Waterkeyn (the architect) receives hundreds of thousands of euros for any kind of use of any kind of image from the Atomium.
    That's extraordinary. I'd be interested to understand the basis for their claims. That's a bit like saying "I designed my house so you must pay me for any photos of it, even though you stand in a public street to take the photo". Or am I missing something?

Edit: The link to these claims is here. It's interesting that they assert "author's rights". I wonder if it would stand up to the test of the courts. (Edit: I'm now disabused of my naive view about photographs and understand the highly limited law in some countries) Imagine such a claim by the family of Utzon for the Sydney Opera House for instance.

An then I find myself here. To learn that, in this respect at least, I live in one of the freer countries in the world.

It's a sad state of affairs with tendencies to even less availability of sensible freedoms.
    Last edited by Pelorus; 24th January 2016 at 12:47.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by H3dtogo View Post
    There are a surprisingly large number of sights that have copyright protection and licensing requirements. This is an interesting list but by no means comprehensive at all. Even things like the tree on the rock at Pebble Beach is theoretically off limits.
    Ylem ...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

recognizable car brands?

porche, flatiron bldg, rockefeller center? exterior of stock exchange?

i would venture to say these prohibitions get violated daily

makes me want to paraphrase Charlton Heston (of all people) "...my cold dead shutter finger"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    recognizable car brands?

porche, flatiron bldg, rockefeller center? exterior of stock exchange?

i would venture to say these prohibitions get violated daily

makes me want to paraphrase Charlton Heston (of all people) "...my cold dead shutter finger"
    I would think that these all fall under commercial/editorial use of the images but not to the personal work that people show here. I agree with you that I would flagrantly ignore any of these 'restrictions'. The Eiffel Tower and London Eye and UK National Trust properties are a few of the locations where I've definitely run into the tripod police restricting what they consider "Commercial" shooting vs personal.
    Ylem ...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i got stopped one time shooting large oil tanks from a public road in Bayonne. they "made" me delete the images, so i showed them the play back of the images, and when i went to the next one, they assumed i was deleting. he,he

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So they finally solved the mystery of the moving rocks. Pretty simple explanation, takes a little of the fun out, but they are still cool to shoot. Getting better with tilt focus, can usually dial it in with Live View in about 20 to 30 seconds.

Arca Swiss rm3di, IQ3 80 back, Rodenstock 40 HR-W, 1/30th at f/16, ISO 50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

El Pinacate lava field along El Camino Del Diablo, Arizona, 2015.
    Cambo WRS-1250, IQ160, 40HR-W

- - - Updated - - -

Wildflowers at El Pinacate lava field along El Camino Del Diablo, Arizona, 2015.
    Cambo WRS-1250, IQ160, 40HR-W
    Peter
    My website
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Storm Surge
    Alpa MAX, SK 150, Credo 50, 25'+ waves....

www.rgaphoto.com
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Upper Proxy Falls, Oregon, 2013.
    Cambo WRS, Leaf Aptus-II 7, SK35XL - two image stitch.
    Peter
    My website
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love this- it looks like you captured just the right moment in time with the waves crashing.
    The foam and spray have just the right texture- just the right precise timed exposure.
    What shutter speed did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Storm Surge
    Alpa MAX, SK 150, Credo 50, 25'+ waves....

Post Thanks / Like

Some recent industrial heritage jobs. Available light with A/S factum + HR 40 + IQ260 (custom profiled using Torger's dcamprof).

Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My local signature mountain. La Concha in Sierra Blanca, Marbella (Spain). We have had pretty extreme winds for the last few days (and heavy rain). Today it is still very windy but with blue skies and fast moving clouds. I set up the Alpa FPS at a standard viewing point and just waited for different cloud formations and shadowpatterns on the mountain itself. I stood there for about an hour and shot about 20 exposures in that time. I could ofcourse have blended one shadow formation with another cloud formation, but this image appeared at the end of my 'hunt'. Single capture with Credo 60 cropped to 2:1. F8, 1/375, 100iso.
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Even if technology has leaped since the 22mp fat pixel back was introduced, it still has its place. Colours are vibrant and natural yet not oversaturated. It produces lovely texture and it holds up very well to print 70x100cm prints.
    Coupled with the minimalistic Alpa TC & Rodie 32 it really is beautiful little package....
    Photograph below is pretty much straight from the back!

Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

House in the very centre.

Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    I love this- it looks like you captured just the right moment in time with the waves crashing.
    The foam and spray have just the right texture- just the right precise timed exposure.
    What shutter speed did you use?
    I'm sorry but I don't remember. Probably around 1/125... Thanks for your kind comments!

Post Thanks / Like

A home coffee roaster. a plastic consumer product made to look slightly more exciting than a home coffee roaster plastic consumer product.
    sony A7r/Actus?80mm apo digitar
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Even if technology has leaped since the 22mp fat pixel back was introduced, it still has its place. Colours are vibrant and natural yet not oversaturated. It produces lovely texture and it holds up very well to print 70x100cm prints.
    Coupled with the minimalistic Alpa TC & Rodie 32 it really is beautiful little package....
    Photograph below is pretty much straight from the back!

Dan,

You realize that the Phase One dealers are now actively banning Dan Lindberg tech cam images from the Aptus 5-II. They are bad for business

Ylem ...

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Worry not, Graham!

Nine out of ten will put Resolution, Live View, and DR ahead of beautiful rendition and color.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Worry not, Graham!

Nine out of ten will put Resolution, Live View, and DR ahead of beautiful rendition and color.

--Matt
    Isn't that why God invented matrix photography, view finders and HDR?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Worry not, Graham!

--Matt
    Resolution. ... smesholution ... who really cares if you actually print. I miss my P25+ because it was almost perfect out of camera and printed such beautiful images. My higher resolution backs have been beautiful, in fact, even more beautiful, but I do feel often that I have to work to make them work as straight images.

Dan, I'd buy another Aptus II 5 in an instant. If it had a square full frame sensor it would be even faster than an instant. Heck, square cropped is OK if the colour and tonality remains oh so beautiful.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Worry not, Graham!

--Matt
    sadly I believe you are quite right. More is more to most, more is less to the rest of us languishing with our boots in the mud and actually printing images versus consigning them to the big bit bucket in the sky.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

But I want to pixel peep!

Anyway I think few would have went for MFD if resolution wasn't a part of it. Once in it though you can choose to stay at your older gear if resolution is adequate.

The consumer part of me is a bit bored with my gear (Linhof Techno, many Schneider Digitars and a H4D-50 back) because I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade. It's not the perfect system, but all alternatives are from my perspective less perfect in terms of handling, movement flexibility, weight, and shooting experience. I have nothing to buy. Arggghh. What a tough problem to have!

I guess I just have to get out shooting instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Dan,

You realize that the Phase One dealers are now actively banning Dan Lindberg tech cam images from the Aptus 5-II. They are bad for business

Now, THAT would be the ultimate compliment, so bring it on......

Post Thanks / Like

The two main downsides of the Aptus for me is actually not so much the 22mp but rather native iso25 and noise in longish exposures. The combination gives me a hard time in many of my favorite conditions and shooting style but when the light is there....yes, I actually prefer the output files compared to the Credo 60!! I tend 'not' to fiddle with the files at all, they look so natural and appealing right out of the gate.

Having said that, since I print large, one of my standard sizes is 146x97 cm, then the Credo is ofcourse better at closer scrutiny. But I do have several from the Aptus printed that specific size and at normal and comfortable viewing distance they totally look the business. Bottom line is that IF the Aptus had workable iso 50 & 100 + 30sec noisefree exposures, then I would be happy with that as my only back. Although, on the same page I must admit that the Credo 60 is my daily workhorse and my bread & butter back. Very happy to have both

(On a sidenote, I do have a 7R with high res lenses, but images for the gallery I reach for the Aptus 10 times out of 10, compared to the 7R. I do not have a single image printed from the Sony... - Alpa, techlenses & Leaf all the way)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Dan, I'd buy another Aptus II 5 in an instant. If it had a square full frame sensor it would be even faster than an instant. Heck, square cropped is OK if the colour and tonality remains oh so beautiful.
    Graham, funny you should say that, I do not know why but I have far more square images shot with the Aptus compared to the Credo. Maybe those files remind me more of my Hasselblad V days with Velvia....
    And if the scene admits you can make a vertical flatstitch and resolution is fine for just about any application

Post Thanks / Like

The two main downsides of the Aptus for me is actually not so much the 22mp but rather native iso25 and noise in longish exposures. The combination gives me a hard time in many of my favorite conditions and shooting style but when the light is there...
    Doing a lot of interior shot, and dealing with low iso+center filter and too much noise past 10s was a real pain, I gave up!
    Beautiful rendition for sure! but also a moirι machine, paired it with digitars, i had to correct moirι and strong alaising on 3/5 of my images even with f11 ...
    But still, there is not a single week since i moved to Sony, where i don't regret my Aptus/cambo/digitar combo!
    I went through all the sony shift option ( tseII // HCAM // Actus), but none of those give me the pleasure i got from using my techcams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I admit that despite my romantic association to the fat pixel Aptus & P25+, I'm not giving up my IQ150 anytime soon. Simply put, live view and incredibly flexible ISO/DR win out for me albeit at the expense of certain technical lenses and the crop. Sometimes the crop is beneficial (image circle and best portion of the lens) but other times the need for perfect super wide lenses is a pain.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Morning

I loved my P25+, recently reprocessed some shots from a couple of years ago in C1-9 and they are just beautiful! I've just picked up a IQ260 and Cambo setup for an industrial contract and with the Rodenstock lenses it too is pretty amazing, definitely going to do the job, it's even useable without live view and a ccd sensor!!

This is a very rough test shot as I'm learning how everything works, not had any corrections, apart from white balance but so impressed with the 32mm shifted, I was playing with shift and checking for light fall off rather than positioning the camera correctly as you can probably tell! It's exactly the right tool for the job though, a bit more playing around and I'll be ready for some proper work.

I took it out yesterday for some landscape shots too just to get used to the sensor, again not a proper shot but a lovely halo around the sun.

http://matrichardson.com/
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    Morning

[/url]
    Great shot!
    The reason why most architecture photogapher did loved the digitar 35xl was because it was almost distorsion free ...
    In C1, you should have a look at "Lens correction box", i remenber someone said that they put the 32hr distorsion correction, it works with shift ... and should correct the distorsion on the right of your image.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, the corrections work really well, this is just a non important shot due to the cable plugged in on the left, the rest of the shots I took have gone to the client so I can't post here but you are right, it is actually very easy to correct the file, I just haven't bothered!

Cheers

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, interiors are challanging with Aptus and 28XL + CF. But before I had the Credo I had no alternative and did plenty of interior assignments with that back.
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, interiors are challanging with Aptus and 28XL + CF. But before I had the Credo I had no alternative and did plenty of interior assignments with that back.
    I did probably between 30 and 40 interior shooting with the aptus 22 and most of the times i was fighting with the 6 iso (25iso -2 stop for center filter) and low ambiant light.
    I mainly shoot architecture with people, and so i let you imagine how tricky that was
    But all in all, i've done some of my best interior shot with the Aptus ... And i think my most published picture is also one done with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are another couple of random test shots..

I have a great project to document an old house that is absolutely full of stuff a 95 year old guy has spent his whole life collecting, fascinating place! This with the 90mm, full swing.

And this from a quick walk about this morning with the 50mm, this is one seriously sharp lens!

http://matrichardson.com/

Post Thanks / Like

SO you went all rodies 32 50 90 ?

Here are another couple of random test shots..

I have a great project to document an old house that is absolutely full of stuff a 95 year old guy has spent his whole life collecting, fascinating place! This with the 90mm, full swing.

And this from a quick walk about this morning with the 50mm, this is one seriously sharp lens!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's right, just good luck that I found the right kit. I have a commercial project running over the next 6 months or so, this kit is ideal for everything I have to shoot.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's right, just good luck that I found the right kit. I have a commercial project running over the next 6 months or so, this kit is idea for everything I have to shoot.

Mat
    That's for sure an ideal set of lenses, i'm sure you'll be happy with it

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

shot with a 205tcc, 16mpx sq back, from a few years ago.
    wonder if now that the gallery previews are showing square we will see a resurgence?

another one, thought this was with the role 6008 and phase sq back, not so sure now

another

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    A home coffee roaster. a plastic consumer product made to look slightly more exciting than a home coffee roaster plastic consumer product.
    sony A7r/Actus?80mm apo digitar
    Nice image!. Does the roaster work well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yatlee View Post
    Nice image!. Does the roaster work well?
    well professional roasters are using it for evaluation especially if they travel to source green beans from co-operatives or estates in out of the way places. it’s fully programmable so lots of control. not used it myself but it fared very well in the magazine review that goes with the image, but then so did the popcorn maker from eBay!
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

near Hollister California

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

alcatraz in the late afternoon
    dining hall:

library

cell block D: upstairs probably had a nice view of san francisco

examining room in the hospital, next door to the Birdman's cell: (very dark, this was a 20 second exposure
    Last edited by jlm; 25th February 2016 at 12:55.