The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Swissblad

This image was assigned and briefed in detail. Client was impressed that I got it so close to what she envisioned. Nice feeling of satisfying a client like that :)

Interesting, yet somewhat bewildering image, Dan - it always appears if I'm looking at 2 horizons..... good catch ;)
Sinuhe

yatlee

Yat

I also use the techno and it is my favorite camera, what do you use to focus?
I am not a big fan of the live view in the IQ or credo for focusing, I use it mainly for composition. I use the sliding back with the focusing bellow with the supplied magnifier.

Ame
Hi Ame, I use a sliding back from Kapture Group. I was able to get accurate focusing using my old P45+ in Hassy V mount. When I upgraded to IQ180 in Mamiya mount, I also change the focusing screen and spacing. For my wide lens (40mm and 32mm) I have no problem using just a 4x loupe to get accurate focusing. However, the longer focal length, it seems to be off a bit even it looks in focus on the ground glass. I have not come around and get it adjusted and ended up using live view a lot. Now, I totally get used to the following workflow:

1. Initial focus and framing using the ground glass on the sliding back. I get to see "stitchable" area (approx. 6x9" size).
2. Slide the back over and turn on live view and view at 100% and fine tune focusing. Couple tricks here: (i) the lens must be in wide open position; (ii) use ND filter - I find that a 6 stops ND works perfect (even for a F4.0 lens) under bright day light and a 3 stops work pretty much the rest of the lighting situation. I use Lee filter holder and keep the adaptor ring on all the time. If you worry about exposing the front element, Lee has a lens cover that fit the size of the holder. So, no more screw on/off which is a huge time saver.

That's all. Hope this help.

tjv

Good info, thanks Yat.

Do you think it's a GG registration problem causing your focusing issues with your Techno? It's interesting that you find it easier to focus your wider lenses vs. your long lenses. It's usually the other way around with the GG.

Paula at Linhof & Studio told me that the new Linhof GG is absolutely amazing. Can you use it with your Kapture Groupe sliding back?

As for your photographs, they are great. I especially like the one of Tiger's Nest Monastery (portrait orientation). Was it taken with the P45+ or IQ180? It's a boring question but I've been investigating the P45+ for use with my Techno and I like your images so thought you'd be a good person to comment on the combo.

Best,

TJV

Hi Ame, I use a sliding back from Kapture Group. I was able to get accurate focusing using my old P45+ in Hassy V mount. When I upgraded to IQ180 in Mamiya mount, I also change the focusing screen and spacing. For my wide lens (40mm and 32mm) I have no problem using just a 4x loupe to get accurate focusing. However, the longer focal length, it seems to be off a bit even it looks in focus on the ground glass. I have not come around and get it adjusted and ended up using live view a lot. Now, I totally get used to the following workflow:

1. Initial focus and framing using the ground glass on the sliding back. I get to see "stitchable" area (approx. 6x9" size).
2. Slide the back over and turn on live view and view at 100% and fine tune focusing. Couple tricks here: (i) the lens must be in wide open position; (ii) use ND filter - I find that a 6 stops ND works perfect (even for a F4.0 lens) under bright day light and a 3 stops work pretty much the rest of the lighting situation. I use Lee filter holder and keep the adaptor ring on all the time. If you worry about exposing the front element, Lee has a lens cover that fit the size of the holder. So, no more screw on/off which is a huge time saver.

That's all. Hope this help.

yatlee

Good info, thanks Yat.

Do you think it's a GG registration problem causing your focusing issues with your Techno? It's interesting that you find it easier to focus your wider lenses vs. your long lenses. It's usually the other way around with the GG.

Paula at Linhof & Studio told me that the new Linhof GG is absolutely amazing. Can you use it with your Kapture Groupe sliding back?

As for your photographs, they are great. I especially like the one of Tiger's Nest Monastery (portrait orientation). Was it taken with the P45+ or IQ180? It's a boring question but I've been investigating the P45+ for use with my Techno and I like your images so thought you'd be a good person to comment on the combo.

Best,

TJV
It's a quite a long story. My frist IQ180 has a bad sensor which phase one replaced under warranty, but they didn't align the sensor properly after the replacement which I only found out when using it with the 645DF. So, between the few times back and forth with phaseone, I already adopted the new work flow I mentioned. So I never really tried to look into the GG focusing problem.

The kapture group GG is made by maxwell which is extremely bright and I never had problem focusing it on the P45+ with only a 4x loupe even using swing and tilt.

All my pictures above are taken with IQ180. Will show you few pictures on the P45+ if you like to see.

danlindberg

Dan,

Great shot as normal although I find myself wanting to see just a smidgen of blue above the top of the building.
Graham, I actually have air in the raw file, but decided to crop it tight. Thinking it would be a stronger division between left-right from that straight vertical centreline of the building. However, I was back and forth with this decision and now that I see your comment maybe I should have gone with the slightly more conventional route....;)

yatlee

Yat,

Stunning images. This is already on my bucket list and damn if your images haven't help push it up a notch!!! Very nicely done!

:thumbs:
Thanks Graham, It's a beautiful place (both the landscape and the people) and I'm already planning to go there again next year! Check out my flickr for some pictures of the monks and poeple there.

tjv

I'd love to see some P45+ images, thanks. Especially ones taken with the Techno. I love this camera and I'm currently using it with 6x7 film. I bought it with an eye to digital capture – I currently use an Imacon 848 to scan my negatives. I made sure I bought digital lenses, being the Rodenstock 90mm HR and 55mm APO-Sironar Digital. Can't wait until I can afford to go 100% workflow.

Really sorry to hear about your IQ alignment problems. That really must be a pain in the backside. I guess the IQ's liveview is a real life saver!

It's a quite a long story. My frist IQ180 has a bad sensor which phase one replaced under warranty, but they didn't align the sensor properly after the replacement which I only found out when using it with the 645DF. So, between the few times back and forth with phaseone, I already adopted the new work flow I mentioned. So I never really tried to look into the GG focusing problem.

The kapture group GG is made by maxwell which is extremely bright and I never had problem focusing it on the P45+ with only a 4x loupe even using swing and tilt.

All my pictures above are taken with IQ180. Will show you few pictures on the P45+ if you like to see.

Can finally post here!
Some shots from first day using the Alpa. I have to say it was pretty hard to get focusing down at first. But once I got used to it, its not that bad, But every other advantage I thought would be there for using a technical camera is there. I'm very happy with the look of these images. They seem to have more pop, or maybe thats just capture one 7 lol.

SK35