The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

johnnygoesdigital

A dissent: I think that tech cameras might be an exception. The photos often show the effect of the use of a particular lens or movement. There are threads that contain literally thousands of posts and photos, often repeated over and over with comments about how great they are. I'd hate to have to look through something like that to see if a particular lens can be shifted 15mm.
+1

johnnygoesdigital

Dave (dchew),

Your photo of the dunes is prefect as is. The viewer is drawn into where the sky and dunes meet, the subtle muted colors of the dune are precise and delicate, anything more would be distracting. Sometimes it's tricky to show scale in these kind of photographs, but your use of softer contrast allows me to walk around the photo.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
On the same hand a canon 24 tse lens is not a normal image in regards to tech. They do basically the same functions as a tech cam. So do we have a image thread on TSE. Folks do you see where this is going. A million threads and finding data makes it impossible. Now if Fred went out and shot the 3 TSE lenses and had data to share on how he did this or that technically along with images than a thread like that would be great. I plan on doing exactly that in a week images with real technically data on some products. My point here is the MF is under a group without specific brands. We are all brothers and sisters under this blanket but for instance the MF image thread is a catch all on any MF camera image and even a tech cam image can go there it is not specific but the tech cam image thread has tech cam images which are specific to a technology based cam not a brand. So putting a DF image in here would be wrong since it is not specific to a tech cam.

The forum is organized by format and in 35mm also by brand specific since that format is 95 percent of the format dominance and frankly many other forums are exactly like us. Go look

Bottom line this is how this forum is setup , we cannot just change the layout of it but we can organize and make some adjustments. The tech cam is a different style in MF so a image thread on it seems okay since it has become popular in MF. But having a Alpa image thread alone would completely screw up the original thoughts and direction on how we where formed. If we did one than we have to do many and that ain't going to happen. Sorry but we have to think logical and we are built by many cultures here and we need to keep it simple.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody,

I really like the repeated patterns in the fire escapes and shadows. Keeping the pedestrians in the scene adds scale. Well done.

Joe
Joe - thanks.

What I liked about this particular afternoon was the Edward Hopper light, which the IQ 180 expresses very well.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
My initial hope was that folks would use this thread to share some of the technical information, like how much and what type of lens movements were used. Without that data, there is no real reason to have this thread separate from the generic MF images thread IMHO.
We should keep the thread alive as a tech cam thread because these images support a lot of "how did you do that" questions, which are really useful as we all refine out tech cam techniques, and are really common to all tech cam shooters. The issues are quite different that the issues faced by other medium format shooters.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agree Woody, that is the idea, sharing the how behind the results (when warranted) and our hope was this thread would be that.

etrump

Thanks for the compliments. This thread has some awesome images. When someone slips far enough over edge to invest in a tech camera, they are obviously the type to push the limits of tehnology, technique and vision and it shows in the images posted.

I have been doing increasing amounts of aerial photography. I have found the best results keeping things as simple as possible. The lens is pegged to infinity and ISO adjusted as low as possible to keep the shutter in the 125-250 range. I then dial in small exposure adjustments with aperture varying from f/8 to f/11 in most cases.

In some cases you don't have time to look at the histogram so I rely on experience. If we are turning to face the sun I may bump to f/16 and f/5.6 in deep clouds. Every few minutes I'll double check everything to make sure I haven't gotten messed up.

O

Optechs Digital

Paul - very nice. How are your focusing?
Thank you Woody,

I did all focus and compose on the Ground Glass. I think I used three 34mm ext tubes. But the first 34mm tube is just to make the 120 short barrel lens a normal barrel lens. So it is just two actual extensions of a total of 68mm.

Paul

danlindberg

Dan let me address the complete front page setup on how the forum is designed. First in 35mm we have that split up into OEM categories , canon/Nikon/Sony Etc. which by far are very popular forums. But on the same handle did not do this in lets say small sensor forum with all the brands listed as forum titles. We also did not do this with 4/3rds forum either with Oly, Pana etc. Obviously by the time we did all that the front end on this forum would be like reading war and peace.

MF forum it has been grouped as one just like many others here. Now lets think about this a thread with Tech cams makes sense SINCE the title of it is images, which the thread intention is to show images. Please tell me if your showing images what makes any difference if this image is shot from a Alpa , Arca or Cambo. Linhof, Sinar absolutely none. We all use the same lenses. So on image threads it makes no sense if we are talking images. Now if your talking technology, function and the use of a Alpa than a thread on that makes perfect sense since it is about Alpa products.

Now thinking about this we put the S2 images in the leica forum. We should have the Pentax 645 in the same Pentax forum and guess what am going to move it , since now i realize that was a mistake for not doing it in the first place. Its a Pentax it goes in Pentax.

Alpa , Arca, Cambo and others go under MF. Just like Oly, Pana etc go under 4/3rds. This forum was built around sensor sizes more as the headliners.

Now that is how it should be. On your Alpa image thread in my opinion makes zero sense as than we will have Cambo, Arca etc and than every other area that is grouped people will follow suit with Oly,Pana threads. Bottom line you won't find anything we start doing that. This is NOT a personal affront this is keeping this site organized and efficient. I hope this makes sense but this is how the forum was originally intended to be and we like to keep it organized. I just can't see having 150 OEM image threads as beneficial to that end. This is how I feel and Jack may have another opinion on this but this is how him and I envisioned this site to start with. We WILL make changes to this site but it needs to make sense. This does not. Guy
Guy, I think it does make sense what you write. To be honest it was actually the standalone Pentax thread that triggered me, but I agree with you that a "Tech cam images" is more logical.

Thanks for your detailed explanation! Appreciated :)

danlindberg

Extremely nice John! I see that you have 15mm shift, I have found that is about the limit with the SK 35XL before the shifted far end gets soft and stretched. Is that you ropinion too, or do you go further when needed?

danlindberg

This shot is from yesterday and it felt almost surreal with the light. Just above my frame, the clouds got much thinner and the sun lit up the rocks but the island in the distance was shaded.

I have no shift, but I tried a new Heliopan ND 6.6 stop filter on top of my my centrefilter for the 35XL. I am happy to see no artifacts of stacking these two filters.

The rocks part was shot at 7 seconds • f11 • iso50. The sky/clouds was a second shot with half of the exposure time and then blended to about 75%. I had to do this because the sky/clouds were blown with the first exposure, but the endresult is very close to how it looked for real. :)

johneaton

Extremely nice John! I see that you have 15mm shift, I have found that is about the limit with the SK 35XL before the shifted far end gets soft and stretched. Is that you ropinion too, or do you go further when needed?
Dan. Thanks, yes 15mm shift is about the max with the SK 35mm -- I think the max I've ever used successfully with this lens is 17mm shift. I also have a SK 47mm with which I can do 25mm shift when necessary. Best, John

PeterA

I would like to see a separate forum for tech cameras - of all types. I agree that images shown should make reference to lens and movement and back

The reason is that there are now a lot more people on this forum using the various types of tech camera and there is a whole bunch of information regarding each camera and brand and associated gizmos which would be nice to have in one forum

I have no axe to grind regarding photos posted - since I enjoy them irrespective of format/back/manufacturer etc and probably the #1 thing that makes me wince and cringe is when someone sees a photo they like and say something to the effect oh what a great lens!!

danlindberg

Rafael, gracias! that tree was amazing and I tried long and hard to capture its complex structure.

Shelby, thanks! it boils down to come up with the ideas...the image itself is ofcourse easy to do but it must come to you first :)

Sbaze & GMB, cheers, appreciate you want to see more!

Joe, thanks, yes hyperfocal focusing. I have not tried out Capture One yet, but I am going to activate it soon. So far everything has been done in CS4.

This image is of my two kids. SK 35XL • No centrefilter • no shift • 1/250 • f8

Last edited: