The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's a shot of a GetDPI "secret" waterfall. RM3Di, 70HR-W, 17.5mm drop, 6x IR-ND, final exposure 5 seconds @ f11 ISO 35:

Here's a little section in the Sierras at around 9,000 feet where the wild flowers are still in bloom. RM3di, 70mm HR-W, 5mm drop, 2 degrees forward tilt, 1/8th @ f11 ISO 35 --- the tilt leaves the image sharp from corner to corner, LOVE it!:

My version of highway 167. 70 HR-W, camera zeroed with 2 degrees of tilt, 1/15th @ f11, ISO 35:

From the same place as above but off the highway, virga over the Eastern Sierra. 120 SK, 10mm rise 1/15th @ f11 ISO 35:

rga

Graham,
I generally shoot at f/8 to f/11.
-bob
I try to stay at f/11.3, my optimum. With wide angle I'm learning focus stacking as at f/11.3 my hyper focal distance is 3m to the beginning of infinity.

With the 80 tilt rules...

This is focused stacked with the 35:
http://www.rgaphoto.com/2011-09-09-Yosemite/content/Olmstead_and_Half_Dome_Pano_MASTER_large.html

This one tilted with the 80:
http://www.rgaphoto.com/2011-09-09-Yosemite/content/Cathedral_Beach_Bench_View_BW_MASTER_large.html

Both at f/11.3.

rga

Here's a shot of a GetDPI "secret" waterfall. RM3Di, 70HR-W, 17.5mm drop, 6x IR-ND, final exposure 5 seconds @ f11 ISO 35:

Here's a little section in the Sierras at around 9,000 feet where the wild flowers are still in bloom. RM3di, 70mm HR-W, 5mm drop, 2 degrees forward tilt, 1/8th @ f11 ISO 35 --- the tilt leaves the image sharp from corner to corner, LOVE it!:

Love the falls!
Hopefully you'll share the secret with us... ;-)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This image shot with the SK 35mm at F 11 with CF and a 1.8 ND filter . 12 second exposure sitting on the side of a slide of a hill. Not my favorite spot but was able to get everything steady for the shot.

This was with a 43mm TS lens with 1.5 degrees of tilt. Shot at F11 with some fall also. I took creative license on this image and processed a little outside the box.

This was at the SK 43 with 1 degree of tilt. I took advantage of every chance to use tilt and it works very nice. Again processing is for drama and shot at F11. I been shooting mostly at F11 and occasional F8 and F16 rarely but have used it. Im also very limited on focal length here as my longest is the 43mm.

Again the 43mm with 1 agree of tilt.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I still prefer Olmstead Point shot in B&W. The sky was volatile when we were there this afternoon. 40mm HR-W, 1 degree tilt, 7.5mm rise, 1/30th @ f11, ISO 35:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Repetition Falls, CA
no ND filter, 1/8 sec. tilted rail did not pull the back

-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I note that you folks are using a lot of rise/fall in these shots presumably to avoid perspective distortions in camera?

Any thoughts about shooting slightly looser and taking advantage of the auto correction in C1 using the pitch info from the IQ? I've found this to work extremely well in the limited testing I've done with my IQ, with obviously the need to give yourself more image to crop in to. Certainly it's better to do this at capture vs in post, particularly as you don't know exactly what the crop will end up being until later plus obviously also the stretching/compression pixel quality impact too.

Any other reasons that maybe I'm missing?

Guy Mancuso

guy: looks like a lot of fun in a very nice place, nice weather...what WA lens do you think you will stay with? liking the tilt on the 43?
Hmmm not sure still going through the selection process if I keep the 35mm which seems to be doing really well on the 160. I do want at least one lens with TS on it for sure. If I stay 35mm than a 60mm TS might be a good second with a 90 or 120 in the mix for a three lens kit. For a 4 lens kit I would certainly drop into the 28, 40 or 43, 70 or 72 and 120. The second widest I want TS though. The 32 Rodie is very nice but a little big for my taste the SK43 TS though is a sweetheart and really nice images from it. But if you noticed almost every 43 shot I have posted i have applied a tilt to the image, so yes i have been working that lens like that to get a good feel for it and it does the job very nicely. These will be tough decisions since none of these lenses are the least expensive things around. I will get a chance to use many in a couple weeks at the workshop and get a better feel for it but already I am in a really nice shooting mode with it which is awesome for me. My biggest assets on this system is the back with the ball for alignment and the focus mask, I rarely miss.

jlm

Workshop Member
Guy: how useful did you find the HPF ring on your 35? I'm adding them to my 43 and 70 (both have t/s, so it requires some customizing.) My guess in this landscape use, and with such a wide angle lens, distance is not so critical. and you have focus mask

Guy Mancuso

Not critical but a couple times it was very handy . I think inside doing other types of work a more useful feature

danlindberg

Hi Dan,

I would be interested to know how you've got the clouds in the foreground having this look of movement: was it done in PP?

Thanks and best regards
Thierry

Alpa SWA • SK 72L • 5mm rise • 12 seconds • f8 • iso50
QUOTE]
Hi Thierry,

No, nothing done in PP, except slight change of overall colourtone and then cranking up saturation (which I rarely do). It had been very very windy (storm) throughout the day and at sunset the clouds were breaking up and revealed the sky behind, but the clouds were still moving incredibly fast. So it is motionblur from the 12 seconds exposure! :)

This one from last week in a small swamparea close to my home...

Hank Graber

Alpa with film back taken about 10 years ago. Sorry for the poor quality. The high res files are in the archive just had these small jpgs handy. Zone focused the Alpa was a formidable reportage camera. Sold it when I went 35 digital about 8 years ago.