The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dave and Pete, thank you. Yes, stitching 80 megs opens up a lot of doors towards adding utility to an existing set of lenses!

Here is the obligatory Zabrisky Point shot. It was not a great morning, but we work with what we got...

70mm

dchew

Another one from my Days With Duffin. 8 image focus blend with Helicon Focus. Focus blending is much easier when the water is at or below 0 c. :)
SK 43xl, Alpa STC, IQ180

Christopher

Another one from my Days With Duffin. 8 image focus blend with Helicon Focus. Focus blending is much easier when the water is at or below 0 c. :)
SK 43xl, Alpa STC, IQ180
Quite nice. I only have one question, on my display the image looks a little purple, is that on purpose? I personally would try to fix it by moving the blues a little more towards the cyan side.

dchew

Thanks Christopher. Yeah, it is on purpose. i remember a very "purple-ish" scene. Maybe that whole Purple Mountain Majesty thing... :)
I appreciate the feedback. I did struggle with white balance on this, probably because my memory was affecting my judgement. Could be a good thing or a bad thing I suppose. I have a couple different versions, some more neutral. To be honest I don't think I've found the right one yet. I will ignore it for a few weeks and go back for a fresh view.

Ciao,

Dave

cunim

Here's one from a cataloging project. AS Monolith, Rodenstock 135, IQ 180, f11, stacked. Yes, one of those subjects that only a collector could love, but technically interesting. Movements are doing what they should but note the distortion. How would one correct that? No profile for this lens in Alpa LC. Time to start shooting square grids and rolling my own or is there an easier way?

Last edited:

Shashin

Here's one from a cataloging project. AS Monolith, Rodenstock 135, IQ 180, f11, stacked. Yes, one of those subjects that only a collector could love, but technically interesting. Movements are doing what they should but note the distortion. How would one correct that? No profile for this lens in Alpa LC. Time to start shooting square grids and rolling my own or is there an easier way?
I don't collect old microscope parts, but I find it interesting--but then I run a microscope lab.

You can only correct a limited set of converging lines at once--you can straighten your vertical lines, but the other radial directions are still converging. In this case swinging your back will not help--round objects are a pain. For a single shot, the only solution is moving back and using a longer focal length lens or cropping. You can also combine multiple images.

Movements are doing what they should but note the distortion. How would one correct that?
It seems your back is not straight (converging verticals) and also you seem be shifted/risen towards the edge of the image circle as I'm seeing rectilinear distortion on the cylinders top right. I don't think it's a lens distortion issue but where you've ended up.

I would centre the lens/back and ensure lens/back are parallel, aim camera down to the desired comp, broadly focus where needed and then straighten lens/back to perfectly horizontal. Now tilt only the front to affect focal plane. That's about as distortion free as you can get it. There should definitely be no converging verticals. If you're still seeing the rectilinear distortion and don't like it, you might try tipping the back to vertical (so you use less rise), take two shots and stitch them, shifting only the back on a horizontal plane.

Thierry

Yes, the only solution is to take a longer FL, actually as long as possible when such round or spherical objects are to be reproduced without distorsion.

Thierry

I don't collect old microscope parts, but I find it interesting--but then I run a microscope lab.

You can only correct a limited set of converging lines at once--you can straighten your vertical lines, but the other radial directions are still converging. In this case swinging your back will not help--round objects are a pain. For a single shot, the only solution is moving back and using a longer focal length lens or cropping. You can also combine multiple images.

gazwas

Every time I see a shot done on the 70HR-W it make my eyes bleed and my heart flutter....... do I really need another lens? :rolleyes:

Great work from everyone in Death Valley!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I love those "Boyz", Jack.

Has any an explanation for the "Racetrack" rocks? (my apologies if I missed it)

Thanks
Thierry
Hi Thierry,

The rocks at the racetrack remain a mystery as to exactly how, why or when they move, there is no rhyme or reason. There are four credible theories, but the most agreed to seems to be extremely high winds -- though they do not know what the lubricant is. They have satellite imaged and geo-tagged some of the rocks and discovered some rocks move when the playa is wet while others move when it is frozen, while others don't move at all, but then some move when it is dry; some move a lot at one time where others do not move at all and then those do move when the first batch doesn't; big or small, some seemingly never move then all of a sudden make a large movement of several feet, others move minimally over regular intervals; some move in straight lines, others curve and still others make abrupt, angular turns; and the most confusing to the wind theory is some move in opposite directions at the same times.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This maybe my next lens after i rob the bank Cambo AE , IQ 160 and Rodie 28mm. Man do I like the look of this lens.

This one is a 3 Shot Vertical stitch with the SK 60mm certainly my current love. Badwater Death Valley

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John,

Love the Devil's Golf Course shot -- you found a little pot of gold! I only wish we'd had more clouds for a good sunset that day.