The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy,

What tech lens don't you love?

:ROTFL:

PS: I've elevated the 28 to my want list :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Damn everyone I have picked up just sings. I have tried quite a few now and have yet to find one that is not stellar. Im a junkie

Thierry

Thanks Jack for this explanations. It sounds really strange and that nobody has yet found the exact reason. I guess they have also checked "magnetic fields reasons".

Thanks,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,

The rocks at the racetrack remain a mystery as to exactly how, why or when they move, there is no rhyme or reason. There are four credible theories, but the most agreed to seems to be extremely high winds -- though they do not know what the lubricant is. They have satellite imaged and geo-tagged some of the rocks and discovered some rocks move when the playa is wet while others move when it is frozen, while others don't move at all, but then some move when it is dry; some move a lot at one time where others do not move at all and then those do move when the first batch doesn't; big or small, some seemingly never move then all of a sudden make a large movement of several feet, others move minimally over regular intervals; some move in straight lines, others curve and still others make abrupt, angular turns; and the most confusing to the wind theory is some move in opposite directions at the same times.

Thierry

For your information, to all:

We will speak to Rodenstock and as soon as we have got from them the necessary lenses data we shall include new corrections for the Alpa Lens Corrector plug-in.
I can however not give yet a date of release for this new version of the lens corrector.

As a reminder: this tool is free of charge and put at the disposal to all photographers, being it Alpa customers and others.

In addition, this Alpa Lens Corrector tool will soon be available (within this month) in its 64-bit version (to be used with ONLY for Apple OSX 10.5 and above as well as with Photoshop CS 5 and above). The Windows 32-bit will remain available as well.

I can only recommend the use of this great tool to all struggling with lens distortion.

Best regards
Thierry

Here's one from a cataloging project. AS Monolith, Rodenstock 135, IQ 180, f11, stacked. Yes, one of those subjects that only a collector could love, but technically interesting. Movements are doing what they should but note the distortion. How would one correct that? No profile for this lens in Alpa LC. Time to start shooting square grids and rolling my own or is there an easier way?

cunim

Yes, the only solution is to take a longer FL, actually as long as possible when such round or spherical objects are to be reproduced without distorsion.

Thierry
Thanks, Thierry, Sashin and Wentbackward. The camera was set up with the standards vertical and front dropped in best tabletop fashion. However, I found I could avoid convergeance in the center or at the sides, not both. I am really fond of the Rodie 135, but this is clearly not its thing.

I followed your advice and reshot with an Apo-Digitar 210. That fixed it, both in stacked planes for Helicon and in using fairly extreme front tilt for a single capture. It's a good day when I learn something new.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
John,

Kudos on the Moon over Zabrisky -- awesome capture! The near monochrome rendering of the Panamint Mountains in the background is eerie.