The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
You got the tilt down here , nice work.
It took a little while, but I got there in the end. After our day at Racetrack where you and I worked on tilt for about 30 minutes, I tried to listen to everyone else when they were speaking about using tilt to pick up some suggestions, and it helped a lot. :thumbs:

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
It was a terrific experience and it was great to meet all the other workshop attendees as well. All I can say is that I am now hooked on my Tech Cam.

Steve C

Beautiful work from Death Valley! It would be very helpful if you all would provide a little more information about your panos. If they are made by flat stitching (shift only), how much did you offset and what orientation was the back in. Was tilt used in addition? If they were made by rotation, what orientation was the back in and how much rise / fall or tilt was used in addition. Also, one of jlm's vertical shots was a two shot pano, was this made with rotation around an horizontal axis or shift? I am trying to get an appreciation for which camera movements are used to make these and other images and what the lens coverage is as well before throwing my wallet in the ring. Thanks for the help.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh yes! Big :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: to Jack and Guy. What a great week!

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum for this question, but to all you workshop members and tech cam users in general: What do you use for printing these files? I have a nice 48"x80" nook in my home office, and (most) printers are a lot cheaper than 28 Rodenstocks, and the 3800 can only go to 16x20...

The solutions that have occurred to me so far are:
1) Send the files to a professional.
2) Get an Epson or Canon 24" and have fun wasting ink and paper.
3) Don't even consider option 3 - it has numbers like 9900 in it.:loco:

Any thoughts much appreciated,

Matt

craigrudlin

I would strongly recommend the Canon ipf8300. It is extremely
"stingy" with ink, precise in the quality of the image, and easy
to use. ShadesofPaper.com has these at a remarkable price and
are terrific to deal with. In fact, I am printing two 40x60 inch
images as I type (on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bright White Paper).
Last night did a series of 20 x 30 images on a variety of papers
including Canson byarta and platine. No mesmarism and the
printer AUTOMATICALLY switches from glossy (aka photo) to flat
(aka non-photo fine art paper) black and gray ink without any waste
or mess (unlike many Epsons!)

(I do NOT work for nor am I affiliated with either Shades of Paper
or Canon, but I am a happy and satisfied owner, who enjoys the
control over my prints to insure quality and precision.)

craig

dchew

I have the Epson 7900. I think a 24" size is perfect. If I occasionally need a larger print than 22" x whatever, I have a trusted source for bigger stuff.

As Craig points out, Epson gets the bad rap for ink, but to be honest I'm hoping I go through all mine before it gets too old. And I buy the small volume cartridges! If you are a print house, then yeah. I have a 73-image show coming up in March. That should help me get through some ink!

I am also a big fan of ShadesOfPaper. I love companies that have a local, small-business feel even when you buy via the internet.

Dave

MGrayson

And speaking of the bank in Rhyolite,

At this size, you can't even see the sign that legibly states "Pavement Ends" at the end of the street.
--Matt

MGrayson

Craig and Dave, thanks for the information.

I just measured the door to my office, and it's only 31" wide. I think that rules out the big Canons, as they are both over 34" wide. I think I read that you don't want to tip these things on their sides or back when moving them, and even if that only applies once there is ink in the system, that means it could never leave once installed.

Best,

Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Matt - you realize that this won't get you any sympathy here regarding the door size. We expect to read about your apartment remodel built around the new wide printer and wider doorways.

/cont hammer & chisels 'R us ...

MGrayson

Don't worry, Graham. The 9900 will definitely fit. :eek:

But seriously, I have to keep the upgrades small until the DB purchase. Then anything else (monitors, printers, bodies, lenses) will seem like small change. :ROTFL:

--Matt

PeterL

If your don't have room for the ipf8300, consider the ipf6300 - same inks etc., but "only" 24". I'm very pleased with mine, and also a happy customer of ShadesofPaper.

Cheers, -Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Matt - you realize that this won't get you any sympathy here regarding the door size. We expect to read about your apartment remodel built around the new wide printer and wider doorways.

/cont hammer & chisels 'R us ...
I had to cut down my desk just to get the 7900 in my office. Great printer

stngoldberg

Epson's 7900 printer is a superior product and their tech service (especially over the phone) is outstanding. I use the ColorByte RIP (Imageprint) and an Ezio monitor.
If one employs these three products with a regular calibration schedule, the printer will deliver almost precisely what you see on your monitor almost all the time.
I understand there are less expensive ways to print an image, but I usually get what I am looking for on the first attempt; so over time the hardware is inexpensive and the frustration level is kept to a minimum
Stanley

MGrayson

Quick! Someone post a tech camera image. I feel like a thread-jacker.:eek:

Thank you all for the advice and pointers. Mods, if this is too :OT:, please move the whole printer discussion to another thread. OTOH, if it is deemed relevant, carry on! :salute:

--Matt