The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually what is amazing to me, is how fast all the folks on the DV workshop that demoed cameras with tilts in conjunction with the Phase IQ technology were able to put them into combined use and achieve immediate success. The participant's images speak for themselves.

:thumbs:

danlindberg

Thanks Swissblad. I guess my first medium format camera did make an impact on seeing images. In the mid eighties I bought (with my fathers money) a Hasselblad 500CM with CF40, CF80, CF120 macro with bellows and a CF350. I used it for a good ten years before switching to Fuji GX 680 III. Although I completely loved the GX 680, I have kept on cropping to square quite often still to this day thanks to the Hassie!

Thierry

Graham,

As long as the tilt resp. swing affects the focus, which it necessarily does because the point(s) in focus do not lie in the tilt resp. in the swing axis of the camera (and therefore get out of focus as soon as one tilts or swings), there can only be a method of getting it set step by step = tilt + re-frame + re-focus until the right sharpness plane/framing is obtained.

In other words, a view camera with asymmetrical tilt and swing axis and a "2-point" tilt/swing possibility with the 1st point in the desired focus plane set in focus, then tilt or swing until a 2nd point in the desired sharpness plane gets sharp while the 1st point remains in focus (because lying in the tilt/swing axis) is the only solution for a methodic and fast setting.

This cannot be obtained with a "tech" camera. But IMO, it is not necessary: as long as one does the adjustment in small increments with each time re-focus in-between, the right plane adjustment can be set quite fast. But for this it needs to be able to check the focus very carefully, either on a GG with loupe or better with the live-view option.

Best regards
Thierry

Thanks Bob & Thierry.
Thierry, what would help is some guidelines as to the approach to take here. With simple tilt/swing on the lens plane I think that I've got it pretty well understood. However, with the adapter off the lens plane I'm lacking the explanation along the lines of 'if I do X then Y + Z will happen ...'. I feel like there are multiple effects to each small adjustment and it's here where I'm struggling.

With my Nikons it was much easier due to live view. With the Alpa T/S I'm not quite sure whether to leave focus at infinity & dial in the tilt to align the focus plane with where I want it or whether I need to adjust focus closer to my main subject etc. As you mentioned, as I tilt & shift the image will move in relation to the frame too. Foreground looming with the rear tilt isn't a concern as I typically want this in landscape images so at least that variable is one that I can ignore.

Do you have any good pointers to references to using the rear adapter? I'm pretty well read up on the classics from Stroebel, Merklinger etc.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks Thierry.

Basically back to the old way doing things. This is how I used to do it with 4x5 and also my Nikon PC-E lenses with live view on my D3s/D3x. What's missing and no doubt where I'm messing up is on the fine control/review. I had been hoping to leverage the short cuts from calculating the ideal tilt angle for simple landscape infinity shooting, basically based on height above the desired subject plane. No such luck with the adapter being off the lens axis it seems - it was easy with the Cambo & 40TS. If the IQ "live view" were more refined then the adjustments out in the field would be easier. This was easy enough on my Nikons.

Of course the challenge for me is to break away from my existing focus stacking approach which is quick, easy and effective in almost any scene. However I'll perservere as you can't beat capturing a scene in a single shot when the light and moving elements of the image are fleeting and you can compose and wait for the light.

I ordered a new GG mask for my Alpa to match the IQ. I think I'll just spend a bunch of time practicing, practicing, practicing with a loupe and the GG until I'm comfortable.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just printed some pictures from the Death Valley workshop at 21x28, and let me just say HOLY %$^@$%!!! :cool::eek::thumbs::shocked::grin:

Thank you,

Matt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just printed some pictures from the Death Valley workshop at 21x28, and let me just say HOLY %$^@$%!!! :cool::eek::thumbs::shocked::grin:

Thank you,

Matt
:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Welcome to the dark side Matt -- I hate to say "I told you so" so I wont.

:D

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I borrowed a friend's 7900. But seriously, Bryan, get a 3800/3880. It's not much bigger than a 13" printer, and it can print from 4x6 to 17x25. I *love* mine, but now I'm having 7900/9900 lust.

Best,

Matt

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I borrowed a friend's 7900. But seriously, Bryan, get a 3800/3880. It's not much bigger than a 13" printer, and it can print from 4x6 to 17x25. I *love* mine, but now I'm having 7900/9900 lust.

Best,

Matt
I will look into that, thanks Matt. I have only seen the 9900 and it is quite an impressive looking piece of equipment. :thumbup:

BANKER1

Matt and Bryan,

Some time ago I purchased a 7880, and every time I print with it, I am amazed by the quality. But honestly, I find myself printing sizes that could be done on the 3880/4900 more often than the larger prints.

Greg

rga

+1
I have a 9880 with Image Print RIP. For the times I print large, it would be MUCH more economical to send it out. There are a lot of fine print services out there who will work with you to match colors, print small proofs and provide large prints at a much lower cost than owning one of these. When I sell my 9880, I will be going this route. Not quite as instantly gratifying, but a heck of a lot less expensive. But I am not a pro providing large prints to clients all the time...

Bob

Matt and Bryan,

Some time ago I purchased a 7880, and every time I print with it, I am amazed by the quality. But honestly, I find myself printing sizes that could be done on the 3880/4900 more often than the larger prints.

Greg

danlindberg

GREETINGS to the Alpa team in Zurich! I was 'in town' yesterday for a quick walk in the citycentre, absolutely no time for visiting, but I thought I send you a typical postcard photograph here instead :)

I made i few handheld snapshots, this one 1/125 at f8 and 100iso. As you can see in the corners, no centrefilter on the 35 XL, but I quite like that sometimes...