The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Manouch,

I don't have tilts or swings with this lens panel, but I could have achieved the perspective change Dick mentioned by re-aiming the camera and then shifting the lens horizontally.

Still, I don't think there's anything much I would have changed. I agree with Shashin! Of course, I'm still trying to learn how to use the tech camera, and experimentation is key. The problem was that I was a dinner guest and didn't have much time to experiment!

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to get a longer lens for this camera. I think (possibly incorrectly) that the shifts matter more at the wide end, and so I may try to get away with stitching with the Olympus 45/1.8 for high MP mid-telephoto compositions.

But wait! Why are we talking about photography? Aren't we supposed to be expressing outrage at Hasselblad? :D

Best,

Matt

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Aside from a lingering case of IQ160 envy, it's great. :loco:

How is yours treating you, Bryan?

M

mjr

Evening

I hope everyone is well.

Here's a shot from the Isle of Skye, STC, P25+ and 47mm

Check out my fancy new border!

Shashin

That's true if you use a view camera and follow the Sheimflug law, but as far as I know with this Tech camera you can only swing the lens which helps to get better sharpness in some cases.
Best,
_______
Manouch
I think Dick is talking about swinging the rear standard to reduce perspective from the front to the back building and therefore make their scale more equal, but unfortunately, you are going to increase perspective on the other face of the buildings and the result will look odd.

It is possible to do this with a rear swing--movements are relative and as long as you are placing the plans in the correct relative position, it does not matter if you use the front of rear standard.

Shashin

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to get a longer lens for this camera. I think (possibly incorrectly) that the shifts matter more at the wide end, and so I may try to get away with stitching with the Olympus 45/1.8 for high MP mid-telephoto compositions.

But wait! Why are we talking about photography? Aren't we supposed to be expressing outrage at Hasselblad? :D

Best,

Matt
We have to wait until Hasselblad gets Samsung to make them a tech camera...

In a sense you are right that an equal shift will have greater effect on a wide in a kind of absolute/objective frame, but it is really a relative problem where the longer focal length also has a narrower FoV and so it might really be worth going for a longer lens. You could actually play with this idea by simply cropping you sensor/image to the FoV of the lens you want--that is the great thing about geometric optics, you can also use angular relations as well as linear ones.

In general the longer lenses have larger image circles (but not always so check the specs), tend to be sharper to the edges, and of course perspective compression helps to lessen the need for shifts, so you're correct, shifts tend to matter more with wides.

I had the 90HR before, still deciding on the 70 or 90, both are wonderful, but as we can get stunning results by cropping (I use a 40HR), I can't bring myself to buy a lens in that range, so use a 40 and a 120!

M

mjr

Thanks lanscapelover, nice of you to say.

The template was made in PS CS5.1, took me a while as I rarely use it. I ended up checking out a couple of the tutorial videos on youtube. I now have a template file for numerous sizes, then drag an image in to it and re-save, job done!

Give it a try, I found lots of instruction on youtube, thanks must go to Dan Lindberg as his images always look great and I blatantly copied him!

Mat

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks! It's great to hear you use PS5, not a special software.

Thanks lanscapelover, nice of you to say.

The template was made in PS CS5.1, took me a while as I rarely use it. I ended up checking out a couple of the tutorial videos on youtube. I now have a template file for numerous sizes, then drag an image in to it and re-save, job done!

Give it a try, I found lots of instruction on youtube, thanks must go to Dan Lindberg as his images always look great and I blatantly copied him!

Mat

stngoldberg

When a vehicle Crosses the Pell Bridge into Newport Rhode Island, the first building that stands out is the Longwarf Seafood market. While not a Newport icon by any stretch of the imagination it is a colorful image which I enjoyed capturing this afternoon with the sun angle over my shoulder.
Arca swiss 72m lens, f8.3, 1/125 sec, with H4D50 back.

Stanley

rayyen

A peaceful morning from Hong Kong
Camera: ALPA TC
Lens: Schneider Digitar 24mm XL + CF + GND + ND
Back: Phase One P25+

kuau

Workshop Member
I took this image today, though this year from another location
Bridal Veil Falls and powerhouse Telluride, CO
Sinar arTec, Sinar 135mm F11
Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI

Steven

rga

Taken yesterday in Lee Vining, CA.
Alpa MAX, Rodenstock 50mm HR SB, 2sec @ f/11.3, 4 degrees or so of tilt, 10mm L/R shift, P65+ mounted in portrait orientation, stitch of 3 images cropped.

One thing I discovered with this new lens is that, because you can't mount the Alpa 34mm T/S on the front of the MAX (if you also use the rise/fall add-on), the lens can only rise/fall and shift 10mm. The back of the lens hits the MAX's inside frame...

kuau

Workshop Member
This is the "money shot" taken on the the way to Alta Lake in Telluride.
I forgot the name of the photographer who discovered this shot, though I think it was done sin the 70's
Maybe someone can chime in.
Sinar arTec, 70mm F11, 2 images blended in Photomatix.
Needs some work...

Steven

danlindberg

Schneiders perform extremely well at close focusing distances. When reading comparisons between Schneiders and Rodies most of the time this particular factor is left out. A Rodie does not stand a chance in this regard. This image is shot at minimum distance @30cm with the Schneider 35 XL (no macroadaptor). Deadly sharp at 100% :thumbup: