The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

thrice

I simply cannot handle 2 days with no new posts in this thread.

Here is another from my trip to the Otways, this is Erskine falls.

Alpa SWA, 35XL, P45
2 image stitch (0 and 10mm shift). No LCC.

ondebanks

The Pentax 645D does up to nine exposures in one RAW file.
I presume it does this by reading out the image to its RAM each time, and clearing the sensor in between the 9 exposures? In that case, it's really no different to writing out 9 RAW single exposure files and merging them yourself in software. There's no signal to noise or DR difference.

What would be closer to multiple exposure in the sense of how we do it on film, is if the sensor remained active in the darkness between exposures, with the previous latent image(s) still sitting on the pixels. Now that would be cool, as you could save bigtime on readout noise...assuming that the dark noise penalty of leaving the sensor "ticking over" between exposures was not greater than the noise of multiple readouts!

If you were working with long exposures, you could emulate this sensor mode easily. Set up the first scene, start a B exposure, cap the lens after the desired exposure time, set up the second scene, uncap the lens for the second exposure, cap the lens again,...and so on. End the B exposure once all captures are complete. Voila, one RAW file, one readout, multiple exposures. Low readout noise, possibly horrendous dark noise :) but it might work well with the long-exposure-friendly P45+, P30+, IQ260, P645D, or (these last two being firmware-limited to 2 or 4 minutes max :thumbdown:) Leica S2 and H4D-40.

Ray

ondebanks

Thank you for your kind words Dave :)

I only try to avoid exaggerate perspective in the composition when I believe the scene is better off that way. Avoiding objects near the edges and first focuspoint atleast 2-3 metres away. That usually makes it look quite natural.

In this one I used the Distagon 40 and at a first glance it looks maybe wider than the boat simply because I chose the position with the poles to increase depth. So in this case it was an attempt to make it look wider than it is.

Dan, I wish I had your eyes. I probably walk past scenes just like this when I'm out with my family, and never think "that's the shot!" Perhaps my excuse is that, well, I'm out with my family and don't get the time and space to assess things properly.

Ray

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Dan, I wish I had your eyes. I probably walk past scenes just like this when I'm out with my family, and never think "that's the shot!" Perhaps my excuse is that, well, I'm out with my family and don't get the time and space to assess things properly.

Ray
That sounds extremely familiar to me . :D :D :D

danlindberg

Ray
I think that is exactly what we ALL need to work on and get better at. Seeing interesting compositions and photography in ordinary, familiar and day-to-day scenes!

gerald.d

Got my IQ180 back from a service last week, and finally got around to doing some shooting again.

While waiting for the evening light, I thought I'd have a bit of fun from one of my favourite locations. The usual subject!

Crops:

50HR, FPS TS adapter 5 degree swing, FPS, IQ180.

Very tempted to print this one big. I like it because at first glance, it looks like it's just a regular shot :)

Dogs857

Gerald

I have been through Dubai an awful lot for work and I know how big this building is. Every photo of it I have seen from you is stunning, and this is no exception. Great stuff mate.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Gerald

I admire your DUBAI images very much .
But I must say , whenever I see one of your images taken from the top of that building , I get weak knees .
What about your knees , not the tripod one's :p

PeterL

Interesting - I had a completely different sense of scale - till I saw the diver coming out in the second shot. Nicely done!

Cheers, -Peter

With the FPS it is 1 RAW file. Back stays open, photographer can choose how many exposures. Just like the old days with film ;) No need to cap and uncap the lens! Just simply choose the number of exposures, and make sure you take these exposures within the long exposure limit of your back. This way you can have fast exposures that would otherwise not be possible without capping and uncapping your lens.

What would be closer to multiple exposure in the sense of how we do it on film, is if the sensor remained active in the darkness between exposures, with the previous latent image(s) still sitting on the pixels. Now that would be cool, as you could save bigtime on readout noise...assuming that the dark noise penalty of leaving the sensor "ticking over" between exposures was not greater than the noise of multiple readouts!

If you were working with long exposures, you could emulate this sensor mode easily. Set up the first scene, start a B exposure, cap the lens after the desired exposure time, set up the second scene, uncap the lens for the second exposure, cap the lens again,...and so on. End the B exposure once all captures are complete. Voila, one RAW file, one readout, multiple exposures. Low readout noise, possibly horrendous dark noise :) but it might work well with the long-exposure-friendly P45+, P30+, IQ260, P645D, or (these last two being firmware-limited to 2 or 4 minutes max :thumbdown:) Leica S2 and H4D-40.

Ray

Ken_R

2 shot pano by shifting the back (15mm left and right) w/ the 70mm HR. The small jpg here does not do the file justice :(