The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

danlindberg

See the mountainroad in the centre of the image? Just a teaser of my upcoming regular phototours/workshops in southern Spain. I'm moving back and plan to do one full day excursion twice a month. From my base in Marbella we have the reach of around 25 national parks within a 2 hours drive! I'll let you guys know in the appropriate section of the forum when everything is planned (first one mid september)! We go either by Land Rover Defender or offroad bikes... Extensive Alpa/Leaf equiment to fondle and test-drive....

James Clark

First time in about 4 months that I've had a chance to both travel with and actually use my tech setup, but I had a few lazy days and really got to take some time with it., which was nice.

Fiji - IQ 160/Cambo/Rodie40

stngoldberg

Newport RI
Someone told me that this house was the original duplex in the US. I am not sure that this is correct. The house is on a street by the name of Farewell street where the town interfaith cemetery was/is
Rodie 32, H4D50, f8, 1/30 sec, ISO 100
Stanley

torger

Tech cams are often used with wide angles, but here's a long shot :p. I like longer lenses and have recently picked up an 180mm.

It's a section of a bridge in the town where I live, lit by the evening sun. I chose my position carefully so the bow of the bridge would be reflected in the water patch.

Linhof Techno, Schneider Digitar 180mm, Hasselblad CF22. Developed in RawTherapee. I've borrowed the back from a friend (my own is at repair as usual). I tried to figure out how Hasselblad's color profiling works so I could transfer it to RawTherapee but did not really do it, so the colors is rendered with just the default matrix. For landscape it's certainly adequate though, and the often difficult yellow tones from the evening light turned out really well.

It's shot at f/16, hyperfocal would be as much as 95 meters (for CoC=Airy disk). Therefore close foreground is slightly out of focus. I thought about tilting but the battery ran out before I could try that. As this back as most older ones has a fuzzy focus check (ie impossible to differ between tack sharp and almost-sharp) one really need to know what one is doing if tilting, as one cannot really check after if it was okay. In this case I would need about 18mm DoF height to cover the bridge (half sensor height), which would give me 2.0 degrees tilt on the 180mm at f/16, which would be 5.2 meters hinge distance, maybe a bit too large for the wedge to get above ground level in time, but a thing I would have tested if I had working sharpness check (and an extra battery with me :) ). f/22 would change the equation to 4 degrees and 2.6 meters which would have worked out, but then hyperfocal would be 48 meters so it would be close. I would have used my Leitz Fokos range finder to check the distance to the foreground to be able to decide what to do but as I was out of batteries in the back I did not do that. If both hyperfocal and tilt work out equivalently I choose tilt though as I'm using a view camera and hyperfocal focusing therefore often becomes a bit approximate.

While the 22 megapixel back does swallow f/22 without much image degradation, I'd probably prefer f/16 and slight defocus on the dark grass in foreground anyway, as peak sharpness on the fine details on the bridge is more important.

Last edited:

stngoldberg

Newport RI
This image demonstrates the value of tilt as well as any image I have taken recently. I am so impressed with the ability of the Rodie 32 lens at f8-the foreground and the background are both in focus with 1 degree of tilt
I wanted the viewer to be able to feel that he/she could see into the yacht club and the arcs rm3di and the rodie lens were able to accomplish that along with some selective sharpening.
Incidentally if you google Ida Lewis in Newport RI, the story about her is very interesting
Stanley

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . .
I am so impressed with the ability of the Rodie 32 lens at f8-the foreground and the background are both in focus with 1 degree of tilt
I wanted the viewer to be able to feel that he/she could see into the yacht club and the arcs rm3di and the rodie lens were able to accomplish that along with some selective sharpening.
Stanley
Love this image .
O.K. 1º of tilt . But where did you focus on ? ? ?

stngoldberg

Newport RI
If you google the preservation society in Newport RI, you will learn that this non profit has preserved seven mansions some built at the turn of the last century. The tourists come in such volume that the organization had an income from ticket sales alone of over fifty million dollars last year.
This image is of a Turkish Elm on the Chateau-Sur-Mer property. This tree has a sixty foot span
Stanley

tsjanik

Newport RI
Someone told me that this house was the original duplex in the US. I am not sure that this is correct. The house is on a street by the name of Farewell street where the town interfaith cemetery was/is
Rodie 32, H4D50, f8, 1/30 sec, ISO 100
Stanley
I like the plane of symmetry in this structure. I can imagine this being the homes of identical twins; one right-handed the other left.

stngoldberg

I like the plane of symmetry in this structure. I can imagine this being the homes of identical twins; one right-handed the other left.

The owner of this house keeps the structure in immaculate condition and yes the symmetry makes composition easy.
Many homeowners in Newport maintain their property in pristine condition making photography compelling
Stanley