The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hornitos Road, outside of Hornitos CA.

Alpa STC, IQ260, 90HR 1/3s f/11 2 shot vertical stitch. With hindsight I should have used something wider.

Last edited:

alajuela

Alpa STC, IQ260, 90HR 1/3s f/11 2 shot vertical stitch. With hindsight I should have used something wider.

Great shot Graham !!! - I wonder what type of paper you would print this on. That is always a question - a semi gloss - smooth or textured, a pearl paper? A matte - Hot press or velvet - maybe cold press?

danlindberg

30 second exposure with pretty strong winds, pinning down the Gitzo as hard as I could. I managed to get the contours of the trunk perfectly sharp. Lucky :)

Shashin

I am not sure wider--the trees would diminish too much. I would have brought the silhouette up higher to give the impression of hight. The upper part of the sky could be lost without impacting on its drama. The balance of the graphic black with the glowing red could be striking. Either that or add a blonde.

My 2 cents...

Still like the image.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Graham,

Are you getting red channel clipping in that sunset? It might have been that yellow close to the ground, but I frequently see that shade when it's just too red for the processing. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful as executed! I'm just consistently amazed by how much data these damn backs capture.

+1,

Matt

GrahamWelland

Matt - good point.

I went back to C1 to take a look and yes, the red channel definitely clipped. The 3 channel histogram for levels didn't show it but the overall histogram did show a peak at the right end. The only processing to the image was pulling the highlight to the red peak as displayed in the level display. Everything, believe it or not, is pretty much flat as out of camera with only a small selective colour adjustment darken on the sunset red.

WB was regular daylight 5000k and to be honest that muddy region to the left at the horizon bugs me.

danlindberg

From the very last session with my fellow photographer Micke (Bildifokus) after a four day phototour in Andalucia. All in all, some great light and scenes recorded on mfdb. Thanks Micke for a few very nice days together
:thumbup:

GrahamWelland

IQ180, 23HR w/CF Cropped aprox 70%
Love the tonality and mood of this. The smooth gradation in the sky makes the winter scene along with the subtle colour of the buildings on the horizon.

Nice use of the 23HR - I often struggle with finding effective compositions with it due to lack of shift options and an irrational reluctance to crop an image necessarily shot dead level to avoid vertical distortions. I think this works well to it's strengths.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Matt - good point.

I went back to C1 to take a look and yes, the red channel definitely clipped. The 3 channel histogram for levels didn't show it but the overall histogram did show a peak at the right end. The only processing to the image was pulling the highlight to the red peak as displayed in the level display. Everything, believe it or not, is pretty much flat as out of camera with only a small selective colour adjustment darken on the sunset red.

WB was regular daylight 5000k and to be honest that muddy region to the left at the horizon bugs me.
Interesting. In your case the yellow highlights add to the drama. With me, it usually just looks washed out.

--Matt

jagsiva

Love the tonality and mood of this. The smooth gradation in the sky makes the winter scene along with the subtle colour of the buildings on the horizon.

Nice use of the 23HR - I often struggle with finding effective compositions with it due to lack of shift options and an irrational reluctance to crop an image necessarily shot dead level to avoid vertical distortions. I think this works well to it's strengths.
Graham, thanks for the kind words, but I do need to confess :)

1. The sky and snow were absolutely bland, and I could not pick up any detail at all even dropping exposure in C1, so I cheated and used a gradient mask in C1

2. The crop resulted primarily from me not getting out of my car in -20C, and needing to crop out the nasty snowbank

3. The 23HR has been tricky for me as well. I am now getting into the habit of going out with one lens and trying to make it work, and this is one of those times. It is finicky. I only processed this in C1 and did not spend much time on it. But if you notice on the left side, you can see a slight tinge of red coming in. This is after LCC and I also used a CF. I'm sure I can get rid of it, but the lens is a real supermodel:)

Thanks again, Jag