The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

jerryreed

Napa Valley this past Friday.
Squalls were passing through. JUST managed to get all the gear back in the truck before the biggest deluge hit.
Alpa Max, SK 80 SB34, IQ160, Ladder...

How do you use the ladder? Do you have a mount for the camera at the top, or are you hand-holding?

Really great work, you inspired me to pursue this elevated perspective.

Jerry Reed

Jerry Reed

jerryreed

San Pedro de Alcántara
Dan,

You indicated (in the notes that accompany the images shown) that this wonderful image was created with the ALPA TC, did you stitch? Since you also own the SWC, I wonder if/when you might select one instead of another. I ask as an interested purchaser, and fan of your consistently exceptional work.

Jerry

Jerry Reed

danlindberg

Dan,

You indicated (in the notes that accompany the images shown) that this wonderful image was created with the ALPA TC, did you stitch? Since you also own the SWC, I wonder if/when you might select one instead of another. I ask as an interested purchaser, and fan of your consistently exceptional work.

Jerry

Jerry Reed

Jerry, thanks for your kind words :) First of all, The image above was indeed shot with the TC. I do like the 2:1 pano ratio and look for those images frequently and I both flatstitch with the MAX and make nodal stitches with the SWA or TC. However, I am not ruling out a one shot and crop out for a 2:1 in post. With the Aptus II 5 I did not do this because I thought I lost too much info, but with the Credo 60 I must admit that a native cropped out 2:1 is 76 cm wide @ 300dpi. I have printed 2 metre wide canvases from a file like that and the print was impressive with great detail and resolution. There is no hesitation from me 'planning' a 2:1 from one exposure.

Now, I can see that people can easily look at my byline and think that is totally excessive and only gives bragging rights having 4 bodies. Truth is, I use them all, all the time. The TC is absolutely brilliant if I want tiny. It happens often, in fact exactly this with the image you refer to, that I take out the Alpa TC, the Credo and unscrew the centrefilter of the SK 35 XL and use it as a fixed f8. This is truly a small and light package and has so, so, so much power in terms of IQ. I put the circular bubble on top, a soft release and then I shoot from the hip and with the bubble I know when I'm level, I know the field of view by heart and I can ever so slightly point the cam up a bit or down a bit. It just works.

The SWA is the perfect companion if you walking in a city. Again if I use the 35 (then with centrefilter) I often put on a default of 5-6mm rise and with the sportsfinder and cam at eyelevel you get spot with just about right foreground and buildings across the street with paralell lines. The SWA is quite a bit smaller and lighter compared to the MAX which means this is the body I choose if I go hiking. It is still compact and light and most of the images are shot zeroed, but with the possibility to shift when I need to. Personally the SWA is also the most beautiful Alpa and so well balanced with the excellent grips on both sides.

The MAX is my choice on all architectural assignments. 95% of all interiors are shot with the Alpa Max and the Schneider 28 XL. I simply love this setup and the only, and I mean only, thing I don't like is the dense centrefilter for the 28. The vignetting issue is to my work far more disturbing than the colourcast. With the Credo 60 I go 8mm and can easily correct, but the centrefilter steals over 2 stops and still does not effectively cancel out vignetting completely at f8. Anyway, without Alpa Max my bread and butter work would be more difficult. For instance shooting into bathrooms with large mirrors I frequently have horisontal shift as well as rise or fall.

The FPS is ofcourse übercool with endless possibilities. If, and this is a big IF, the upcoming Schneider PC 28 tilt/shift is as good as the tech lenses, then I could get by with FPS as only body. But I have doubts that this will be the case. I have compared FPS + Tse24 and Max + SK 28 XL and the latter wins handsdown. The dream would be the FPS with small integrated tilt/shift adaptors that could be used with wide tech lenses. A lot to ask for and maybe completely impossible, but I guess one can always wish.....

Funny thing is...if I didn't have any Alpa at all. Starting from scratch. I would most probably buy the STC.....;)

danlindberg

Dan,

Jerry

Jerry Reed

Jerry, thanks for your kind words :) First of all, The image above was indeed shot with the TC. I do like the 2:1 pano ratio and look for those images frequently and I both flatstitch with the MAX and make nodal stitches with the SWA or TC. However, I am not ruling out a one shot and crop out for a 2:1 in post. With the Aptus II 5 I did not do this because I thought I lost too much info, but with the Credo 60 I must admit that a native cropped out 2:1 is 76 cm wide @ 300dpi. I have printed 2 metre wide canvases from a file like that and the print was impressive with great detail and resolution. There is no hesitation from me 'planning' a 2:1 from one exposure.

Now, I can see that people can easily look at my byline and think that is totally excessive and only gives bragging rights having 4 bodies. Truth is, I use them all, all the time. The TC is absolutely brilliant if I want tiny. It happens often, in fact exactly this with the image you refer to, that I take out the Alpa TC, the Credo and unscrew the centrefilter of the SK 35 XL and use it as a fixed f8. This is truly a small and light package and has so, so, so much power in terms of IQ. I put the circular bubble on top, a soft release and then I shoot from the hip and with the bubble I know when I'm level, I know the field of view by heart and I can ever so slightly point the cam up a bit or down a bit. It just works.

The SWA is the perfect companion if you walking in a city. Again if I use the 35 (then with centrefilter) I often put on a default of 5-6mm rise and with the sportsfinder and cam at eyelevel you get spot with just about right foreground and buildings across the street with paralell lines. The SWA is quite a bit smaller and lighter compared to the MAX which means this is the body I choose if I go hiking. It is still compact and light and most of the images are shot zeroed, but with the possibility to shift when I need to. Personally the SWA is also the most beautiful Alpa and so well balanced with the excellent grips on both sides.

The MAX is my choice on all architectural assignments. 95% of all interiors are shot with the Alpa Max and the Schneider 28 XL. I simply love this setup and the only, and I mean only, thing I don't like is the dense centrefilter for the 28. The vignetting issue is to my work far more disturbing than the colourcast. With the Credo 60 I go 8mm and can easily correct, but the centrefilter steals over 2 stops and still does not effectively cancel out vignetting completely at f8. Anyway, without Alpa Max my bread and butter work would be more difficult. For instance shooting into bathrooms with large mirrors I frequently have horisontal shift as well as rise or fall.

The FPS is ofcourse übercool with endless possibilities. If, and this is a big IF, the upcoming Schneider PC 28 tilt/shift is as good as the tech lenses, then I could get by with FPS as only body. But I have doubts that this will be the case. I have compared FPS + Tse24 and Max + SK 28 XL and the latter wins handsdown. The dream would be the FPS with small integrated tilt/shift adaptors that could be used with wide tech lenses. A lot to ask for and maybe completely impossible, but I guess one can always wish.....

Funny thing is...if I didn't have any Alpa at all. Starting from scratch. I would most probably buy the STC.....;)

jerryreed

Dan,

Thank you for your comprehensive and valuable sharing of experiences with ALPA in your interior and exterior work. Your work illustrates what is possible at the highest levels of professional photography.

Jerry

Alpa Max
90HR
34mm Tilt Adapter
17mm Tilt Adapter
P65+

Alpa Max
90HR
34mm Tilt Adapter
17mm Tilt Adapter
P65+

Alpa Max
90HR
17mm Tilt Adapter x2
P65+

gerald.d

this is stunning!!!
Cheers :)

I should again stress that this was just a test shot, primarily for checking composition - I've barely touched it processing wise.

The original set of RAW files (same shot at all ISO's on the IQ250) are linked to in this thread if you're interested in checking them out.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Last edited: